Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The book Fahrenheit 451 is about the evils of television and other mass media (including addiction to it and the resultant apparent "dumbing down" of people as a result), NOT about burning books or censorship. Well, at least according to some guy called Ray Bradbury, anyway, what would he know? ~_~ According to what is possibly urban legend, he has been "corrected" by at least one classroom audience during a speech about the work (at UCLA), causing him to walk out on them.
    "Fahrenheit 451 is not about the topic of censorship. Rather, it is a story of how television destroys interest in reading literature, leading to a replacement of knowledge with “factoids”: partial information devoid of context." - attr. to Ray Bradbury
    Some people refer to (roughly) 450F as the auto-ignition point of book paper; others say it's more like 450C. YMMV.

The book predicted, among other things: flat-screen TV's and "media walls", surround sound, the increasing spectre of the "death" of print media, and tiny little wireless electronic devices that sit in your ear that allow for 2-way communication over long distances -- in other words, Bluetooth headsets, wireless earbuds, and similar devices. IIRC, jetpacks, too, but we haven't quite mastered those. Yet. Oh yeah, and unmanned flying drones.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

• Quoth EricKei View Post
      The book Fahrenheit 451 ... NOT about burning books or censorship.
      Saw a net pic along this line the other day - "You don't have to burn books if no one wants to read them." under a couch potato glued to his TV set.

Thanks for all the other info. Think it's time for a reread.

Comment

• It's some years ago I read Fahrenheit 451, but if it is about people not wanting to read books, why in the world should it be illegal to own them and why should firemen run around burning them?

Comment

• Mikkel -- It's not so much that the people do not WANT to read books (some of them do, despite that being, in effect, a capital crime) -- it's that TV has supplanted print media completely, and books are seen as archaic and useless artifacts of the past in their society.

edit: started a thread on Fratching about the book, as I can see a discussion of its merits getting easily derailed and pushing that line Please head on over that way if ya wanna join in the discussion.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

• And then there are the bookleggers in A Canticle For Leibowitz...
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

• Quoth crazylegs View Post
              A defibrillator (the device used by medics to shock you during cardiac arrest) doesn't restart your heart, it stops it.
              Yes indeed. Basically, in true IT style, you're trying turning the heart off and on again and hoping it reboots in a way that works.

Comment

• Quoth PandaHat View Post
                Yes indeed. Basically, in true IT style, you're trying turning the heart off and on again and hoping it reboots in a way that works.
                I remember not too long ago one of the medical practitioners on here - Sapphire Silk perhaps, I can't remember? - posted a fantastic old video about a doctor-lecturer guy doing a series of crazy little dances that demonstrated varying arrythmias of the heart and how the defib works at the end. It was so funny and informative too.
                "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

• So basically the defib is the biological equivalent of pushing the on/off button, holding, waiting for it to go off, rebooting, etc? Wow.
                  My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

• Quoth Tama View Post
                    So basically the defib is the biological equivalent of pushing the on/off button, holding, waiting for it to go off, rebooting, etc? Wow.
                    Pretty much.

A defib only works if there's some electrical activity going on in the heart, so if the heart is in asystole (flatlining) then there's no point in shocking the pt. This is why I get angry at medical dramas
                    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

• What is SUPPOSED to happen for reviving them if they are flatlining?
                      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

• Presumably, hope and/or prayer and/or "DAMMIT! NOT AGAIN! I WON'T LOSE THIS ONE!" or words to that effect. Other than that...? Pure dumb luck, I would suppose.

Comment

• Quoth Tama View Post
                          What is SUPPOSED to happen for reviving them if they are flatlining?
                          ALS for asystole in the UK is CPR - 30 compressions to 2 rescue breaths (delivered by bag/valve/mask or airway device) and adrenaline delivered intravenously or via intraosseus access every 3-5 minutes.

The odds for getting someone back from asystole is unlikely if there's no reversible cause*. So again I get a bit shouty at the TV. A resus is most certainly not like it's portrayed - it's messy, brutal and can be very difficult to watch. Intubation (passing a tube into the throat for a definitive airway) is also far harder than it's portrayed on the TV and in the UK there are moves away from calling it a gold standard and allowing practitioners to simply use whatever works for that patient.

For a much better written synopsis here's the UK resus council algorithm

http://www.resus.org.uk/pages/als.pdf

*Reversible Causes
                          Hypoxia
                          Hypothermia
                          Hypoglycemia (and other metabolic disorders)
                          Hypovolaemia

Tamponade (cardiac
                          Thromboembolic obstruction
                          Tension pneumothorax
                          Toxins
                          A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

• Quoth Tama View Post
                            What is SUPPOSED to happen for reviving them if they are flatlining?
                            Well, first you have your Igor open the skylights.....

Comment

• Quoth sms001 View Post
                              Well, first you have your Igor open the skylights.....
                              Yeth, mathter!
                              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

• Quoth dalesys View Post
                                Yeth, mathter!
                                Gah! Where'd you come from? And stop that ridiculous lisp.

Comment

Working...
                                X