This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Little Pony reboot

Some of you have probably seen this, but they're doing some form of reboot on MLP. My kids enjoy it, especially the girls, so they've been begging for the new toys/movie. Turns out they're making the dolls as "human" for this reboot. My wife however hadn't seen the new direction until we were out at a Toy's r Us. There was me and my wife and another gent in the aisle looking at toys. She says to me "I know some little girl that's going to want this!" I quipped back "I know a whole lot of older GUYS that are going to love this". The gent in the isle actually snorted out loud on that one . Ah, if only I could pull that kind of wit off on a daily basis.
    But the paint on me is beginning to dry
    And it's not what I wanted to be
    The weight on me
    Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

I sure hope they don't. I might be the odd man out but I felt like the movie was a big slap in the face to the fans of the MLPFIM series.

Like "screw you older crowd and male audience, who needs you? We want to target the little girls/young teen girls!"
    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
      I sure hope they don't. I might be the odd man out but I felt like the movie was a big slap in the face to the fans of the MLPFIM series.

Like "screw you older crowd and male audience, who needs you? We want to target the little girls/young teen girls!"
      Well yeah, they're the target audience. We're not exactly who they're aiming for with any of it.

I went along with the initial reaction when all we had to go on was the terrible promotional art, but from what I've seen online, Studio B made a decent movie out of the concept.

I haven't watched the whole thing myself, yet. The DVD is still sitting on the couch. Maybe tonight if I don't have anything else to do.
      » Horse Words «·» Roleplaying Stuff «

Comment

The thing is, Lauren Faust made FIM with the idea that everyone could enjoy the show in mind. The idea that a show could be only girls or only boys repulsed her.
        My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

I think she pretty clearly succeeded on that point, considering the fandom. But Hasbro still wants to sell its merch. I'm not going to begrudge them a side-story movie designed to promote a new toyline, especially when signs are the movie isn't all that bad.

Plus, we should keep in mind that Hasbro's focus on the toyline actually helps the fandom more than it hurts. They let a lot of things slide (like full episodes on Youtube) because they don't consider it a revenue loss, they consider it free advertising for their actual product - the toys.

The only things they've come down on are things they think could impact the show's image - projects like Fighting Is Magic, or Friendship Is Witchcraft.

Beyond that, they tend to let us and Studio B do our own thing.

Comment

Eh, I still prefer My Littke Pony:TOS. All the newer Ponies just seem off to me.

Comment

Unless I'm mistaken, Faust left the series after season 2, no? I'm guessing she still isn't too happy about this one.
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                Unless I'm mistaken, Faust left the series after season 2, no? I'm guessing she still isn't too happy about this one.
                She stepped down from her role as Producer after season One, and stayed on in a supporting role until the end of Two, when she left entirely to work on an original project with her husband, Craig McCracken. Seems the overall reasons were wanting to pick up an original project and Hasbro's ideas for the show getting further and further from her own (e.g., she wanted Celestia to be a Queen rather than Princess, she wanted more adventure-based stories instead of the slice-of-life we generally have, she wanted Celestia and Luna to be the only alicorns, etc).

I don't follow her Twitter or DeviantArt pages, so I didn't see her reactions myself, but as I understand it, she was less than pleased with Twilicorn and the movie. Aside from that, she seems fine with the show and fandom as a whole.

Comment

I didn't know she was married to McCracken. Cool ^_^

As for Celestia -- what does the title matter if she's the one in charge anyway?
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    I didn't know she was married to McCracken. Cool ^_^

As for Celestia -- what does the title matter if she's the one in charge anyway?
                    I can answer that one! Well, Nostalgia Critic can: http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vid...-princess-hate

To sum up: Princesses are cute and give the appearance of avoiding the heavy responsibility, whereas Queens are traditionally viewed as being "evil" and overstepping their role.

I can see why Faust would want to help get that stereotype out. But do know why Hasbro didn't go for it.
                    My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

Well, I guess the question is, if Celestia's a mere princess, who's the Queen?
                      My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

Trollestia IS evil. She's just so GOOD at being BAD that nobody has figured her out yet.

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                          Well, I guess the question is, if Celestia's a mere princess, who's the Queen?
                          No-one. Kabe and I were discussing something related, and, if I recall (I'll get Kabe to confirm or fix this later), fanon answer is that Celestia and Luna took the title "Princess" in order to calm down the three tribes of ponies that they were bringing under them, all of whom had their own political structures. Since to Celestia and Luna it really doesn't matter what they're called since they're pretty much goddesses...

My husband has been talking about this stuff way too much around me :/
                          My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

It could well be that the place is a principality, like Monaco.
                            "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Personally I'd like to see Celestia be corrupted in some way, a bit like with Nightmare Moon. Only it'd be a horrifying experience ...that would never make it to TV.

I'm sorry. The mains turning evil, especially Twilight, would be COOL as heck. Especially Twilight herself, since she wants to learn *everything*.
                              My Guide to Oblivion

Comment

Working...
                              X