This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever ship a car?

I'm getting my Mom's old car. Problem: she's in florida, I'm in PA. I can't take the time off work to fly down and get it, she can't take time off either. So, that leaves shipping the thing.

So, does anyone have any experience with shipping a car? What was it like? What company did you use? Anything I should know about the process?
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

You throw your dice and take your chances.

When I moved from Chicago to NJ, I had one car shipped with my furniture. Not much of a problem.

When the In Laws moved from Chicago to Tampa, they had one of their cars shipped. It went on a car carrier. Did not make it out of Chicago before hitting a bridge.

Even the best companies will have an idiot driver.

If the car is drivable, another option is a driver service. Usually it requires a more flexible time frame. The company will advertise for a drive from point A to point B. People will sign up or bid for the drive. Basically thay are looking for someone who wants free transportation. Modern day hitch hiking. I don't know what these companies do for background checks and insurance.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
      I don't know what these companies do for background checks and insurance.
      Around here they advertise for drivers in the free (and worth its price) alternate weekly, so do check for references and ask about insurance. BTW, have the vehicle title sent separately.
      I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
      -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

If the car is worth thousands, as in five or more, it might be worth it. Ditto if there is sentimental value, it being Mom's car.

If it's an older car worth $2000 or less, it's probably too risky to submit to drive-away transport, and the cost of shipping on an auto transport might make it more sensible to sell it locally and buy something locally.

I've sold a few semi-collectible older cars on Ebay. One was shipped to New York by a transport company, it arrived with serious collision damage to the rear, as if it had rolled off the highest ramp onto the transport into something solid. The frame was damaged, and the buyer refused the delivery, their insurance probably paid out, never heard back on that.
        Suckiness is reinforced up OR down at every transaction. Accepting BS makes them worse for all of us; firm fairness trains them to suck less.

Comment

Pity, I just had a friend come up from Florida for vacation, he would have been thrilled to bring up a car instead of riding the bus one of the legs of the trip. Heck, if I had the cash to spare this would make a perfect vacation - fly down and drive back I love quick road trips
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Back when I had my ear to a certain classic car forum, the auto transport company of choice was Passport Transport, which is part of FedEx.
            "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Quoth Automan Empire View Post
              the cost of shipping on an auto transport might make it more sensible to sell it locally and buy something locally.
              There are two problems with this. 1) Taxes. The car isn't valuable enough that I need to pay taxes on it as a gift. If we sell the car and then buy another one, I'll have to pay taxes on it. 2) I need a car sooner than that would allow for. I just got a job, and right now I'm borrowing a car for the commute. This isn't really sustainable in the long term.

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
              Heck, if I had the cash to spare this would make a perfect vacation - fly down and drive back I love quick road trips
              I really wanted to do this myself, but I can't get the time off work until Jan or Feb, and I can't wait until then.
              The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

If the cost of shipping outweighs the value of the car, have you considered donating it to a charity down there? Then the value of the car would be tax deductible.

Comment

Working...
                X