This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I see bad complaints happening...

So I've got an English class this semester, and my professor sent out a mass email to the class with the syllabus and a few things to note when composing emails to him.

just thought to highlight a few things...
    1. do NOT call him Dr. (name), he's to be refered to as Mr (name).
    2. no laptops allowed in class, all notes and papers for in class assignments are to be hand written.
    3. all emails must include full name, and class type. also they must be written properly with full complete thoughts and ideas.

Personally I have no problem handwriting anything as I've done it most of my life, back from the days pre-computers let alone laptops.

I have a feeling there will be people who can't write or their penmanship is horrible. my note taking is little better then chicken scratch cause I tend to write quickly, but *I* can read it and that's all that matters.

Things that have to be handed in are neatly printed, and even my cursive is legible. I think I'm a dying breed.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

How did I ever make it through college without a laptop everywhere I went? I didn't even set up my campus email until sophomore year, and that was only because I had a professor who required it because she was going on maternity leave before the semester ended.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

He's probably trying to get them to think and write in normal English instead of "text speak". Do they even teach punctuation and grammar anymore in grade school?
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Sorry but no 2 is a deal breaker for me. I can type way faster than I write, I don't lose my notes and quite frankly yeah I don't pay attention to everything but my grades kick ass and have the last several years.
        Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
        Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

While I had a laptop during my university years, I didn't use it in class. I didn't feel like carrying it around all the time. All of my notes were hand written.

My thoughts:
          1: Why does he not want to be called Dr. if he has a PhD? (If he doesn't have one, then he absolutely shouldn't be called Dr.) It's not a problem, as I know other PhDs that don't want to be called Dr, but still...

2: Does "hand-written" mean "cursive"? If so, that I have a problem with. My notes, I'll write them how I choose, thank you. As for papers, you're still not getting cursive out of me. Ever.

3: Sounds like a good idea to me. Can we get my co-workers to do the same thing?
          "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Quoth Sarlon View Post
            just thought to highlight a few things...[LIST=1][*]do NOT call him Dr. (name), he's to be refered to as Mr (name).
            That's not such a big deal. I'd say he has the right to be addressed as he sees fit within reason, that Mr. is not unreasonable.

A lot of my students will call me Dr., which I discourage since I don't have a PhD. I encourage Professor (my official title) or Ms (also appropriate), and for my part time teaching gig I allow my first name.

Quoth Sarlon View Post
            [*]no laptops allowed in class, all notes and papers for in class assignments are to be hand written.
            This one is dicey. Technically, professors have the right to control their own classrooms, so without an official college policy forbidding this, you're stuck with this rule UNLESS . . . you have a verified disability requiring use of a keyboard. This happened to Evil Empryss when she was in school. She had a verified disability and was allowed to use her lap top to take notes. The prof tried to give her a very hard time about this, but she didn't back down, and the prof was forced by the Dean to allow the disability.

I have a colleague who is like this. She doesn't like the idea of students surfing the web while she teaches.

I say, "Let 'em!" If a student wants to waste their time this way, that's on them. I don't give a shit as long as you don't create a disturbance.

But let me ask this question: do you have to turn in HANDWRITTEN formal papers???

Quoth Sarlon View Post
            [*]all emails must include full name, and class type. also they must be written properly with full complete thoughts and ideas.
            I don't have a problem with this either. Part of higher education is learning to communicate in writing.

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            He's probably trying to get them to think and write in normal English instead of "text speak". Do they even teach punctuation and grammar anymore in grade school?
            Yes. But people get lazy very quickly, and whine when graded for spelling, grammar, and punctuation.

Quoth Crossbow View Post
            While I had a laptop during my university years, I didn't use it in class. I didn't feel like carrying it around all the time. All of my notes were hand written.
            I've done both. I tend to take few notes anyway, so either works for me.
            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I'm okay with the "in class assignments" having to be done handwritten because... well, are you really going to leave class to print out the assignment?

If he said that ALL assignments (including "home/dorm/apartmentwork" assignments) had to be hand written, I would then start to argue with him. I tend to write and rewrite things... A LOT. While I am A-OK with editing and rewriting my own, personal stories via hand... I am NOT a happy camper if I have to rewrite/edit a full paper by hand.
              My Writing Blog -Updated 05/06/2013
              It's so I can get ideas out of my head, I decided to put it in a blog in case people are bored or are curious as to the (many) things in progress.

Comment

GOTTA brag about this...

I emailed my teacher that I mentioned in the first post, asking a few questions that weren't covered in the syllabus.

Followed every part of his email requirements, and now wants to use my email as an example of how to properly write an email!

I said sure
                It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Quoth Sarlon View Post
                  I have a feeling there will be people who can't write or their penmanship is horrible. my note taking is little better then chicken scratch cause I tend to write quickly, but *I* can read it and that's all that matters.
                  This is me, and always has been >_> I've had friends look at my notes to try and translate them, holding the paper up to the light, upside down, flipped over to no avail. On the upside, almost nobody ever asked to borrow my notes

The really scary thing is, I write exclusively in manuscript, in a personal variety of shorthand, when I can help it, as my cursive makes my manuscript chicken scratch look GOOD. It probably doesn't help that I just loooooove roller-ball type pens (tend to have semi-free-flowing ink, as calligraphy pens do)...
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Formal papers? no they are uploaded to a program on the school's website, and the "folder" is closed after a certain time to submissions (11:59pm on due date).

as for the laptop issue I don't have a problem, I sent him a private email asking if he would allow a small digital voice recorder, to which he agreed to.

Because of my "old" age, and my most recent eye exam stating I need reading glasses, I plan on sitting right up in front on an aisle if I can. Helps if I'm not to confined.

Had a good friend of mine whos gone to this school several years walk me around to my classes, to see where they were and if I could POSSIBLY make it between 2 classes in 10 minutes....made it in 6 door to door, including waiting on an elevator.

Comment

Working...
                    X