This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth sstabeler View Post
    to be honest, I can sort of see Kibbles point. the punishment is depriving them of the item- does it need to be destroyed in front of them? It seems to be rubbing salt into the wound, so to speak. (not to mention, why not simply yank it for a month, say, rather than permanantly?)
    I could see your point if the cousin was tearfully or respectfully trying to explain himself. That shows he knows he did wrong and is sorry, or can prove he didn't do it.

But to answer "I'll hand you the scissors?" Sorry, not much sympathy. That's pretty much "I know I did wrong, and I don't care."

Were I the cousin in that situation, my parents would've taken away from me anything they wanted. After first giving me a nice whop across the face. My parents beat me and I turned out fine. Mostly.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

It sounds like the sort of thing my oldest nephew would say to his mom or grandma when he was that age. Imagine his surprise when they would call his bluff.

He's going to be 30 this year and he still pulls these stunts.
      Random conversation:
      Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
      DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

A season pass to something is not strictly property. It is a piece of paper or plastic that allows you entry to someplace. Buying this for your kid (assuming the parents bought it) is presenting them with a privilege. Privileges can be revoked. You're not taking away property, you're taking away their playtime at the place the pass is for. And as the parent, if you paid for the pass, you have every right to take it back. Whether you destroy it, throw it away or keep it yourself is beside the point.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Did I misread something? Isn't it the cousin's Aunt proffering this discipline? (So, Kitten's mom or a third sister...)

In any case, good point made by kibbles. Maybe whoever purchased the pass can hand it over to someone less fortunate?

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
            A season pass to something is not strictly property. It is a piece of paper or plastic that allows you entry to someplace. Buying this for your kid (assuming the parents bought it) is presenting them with a privilege. Privileges can be revoked. You're not taking away property, you're taking away their playtime at the place the pass is for. And as the parent, if you paid for the pass, you have every right to take it back. Whether you destroy it, throw it away or keep it yourself is beside the point.
            I completely disagree with the last point. I do agree that the season pass is a privilege that can be revoked, but destroying it sends a clear message that any decent parent wouldn't want to send. I've been that kid. I know exactly what message it sends, and it's not pretty.

Like I said before, if you want your kids to be respectful, you need to model respectful behavior. Destroying something that belongs to somebody else in retaliation for bad behavior is about as far from respectful behavior as one can get.
            At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Ok, ya'll. Can we dispense with the opinions on parenting styles and discipline? Take it to fratching if you want to delve into it deeply.

Thanks!
              "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Sorry

(random statement to meet the post length requirement)
                At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Sorry here too.
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I kinda have to wonder how the scissors line was meant. If it was sarcastic, then he was being disrespectful. On the other hand, if it was meant more as a cocky, "I know I won't screw up [task], but if I do, I'll deserve to have it cut up", then I think the aunt might be out of line. Can the OP elaborate on the tone of voice/delivery?
                    The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                    "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                    Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Quoth Geek King View Post
                      I kinda have to wonder how the scissors line was meant.
                      Yeah, that's kinda what I was gettin' at too. What's the haps, Kitb?

Comment

Working...
                      X