This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• short story help

WAAAAAAAY back in the stone ages, when I was a young high school sophomore, I read a short story that I thought was called the lottery....

but that's not the title...

The story is of a kid that goes to a fair, and after a long day and hints that other people have died there, gets on a ride and ends up dead as well....apparently a new form of population control...

am I being to vague? or can someone remember this short story.
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

I know this! I know this!

Spending a Day at the Lottery Fair by Frederik Pohl.

I had the same problem. I read the story and couldn't recall the title, but it stuck with me for years. The husband finally found it for me and now I am a huge Frederik Pohl fan! (he died very recently at the age of 90-something).

It's available in the collection Pohlstars and in Platinum Pohl.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

That sounds seriously creepy. Must try to locate it!

I think you initially got it confused with The Lottery by Shirley Jackson -- also an interesting form of population control.

Comment

Then there is Ursala K. LeGuin's "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas"
        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
          That sounds seriously creepy. Must try to locate it! I think you initially got it confused with The Lottery by Shirley Jackson -- also an interesting form of population control.
          Wasn't that based off of a theory someone had? I think another scyfi writer used it too.

Comment

Makes for a quick read...

http://bookre.org/reader?file=273749
            Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
            Save the Ales!
            Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

*cries* the feels...

Comment

no....a day at the lottery fair was not it...

that had a family...this was specifically a boy...maybe teenager?
                It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Quoth Sarlon View Post
                  WAAAAAAAY back in the stone ages, when I was a young high school sophomore, I read a short story that I thought was called the lottery....

but that's not the title...

The story is of a kid that goes to a fair, and after a long day and hints that other people have died there, gets on a ride and ends up dead as well....apparently a new form of population control...

am I being to vague? or can someone remember this short story.
                  Well, I know it's not the story you're talking about, but there actually is a short story called "The Lottery", by Shirley Jackson.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lottery
                  Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                    Well, I know it's not the story you're talking about, but there actually is a short story called "The Lottery", by Shirley Jackson. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lottery
                    Pixelated already talked about that one. The strange thing is I know I've read multiple stories on the subject.

Comment

Sorry I couldn't help.

You should still read Frederik Pohl though!
                      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I think I know!

"The Carnival", in which the protagonist is a boy named Jerry. It ends with him screaming, "It's not fair! They said eight to one today ... eight to one!"

By Michael Fedo.

Comment

" The Carnival" by Michael Fedo ???

Comment

Yes. I discovered that it's available in electronic form here.

Comment

Working...
                            X