This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nor'easter

As I write this, the North East is getting hammered by a blizzard.

Hope everyone is ok in the bad weather! Be safe!
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

We had the snow coming down fast and heavy but its tapered off a little. Its COLD though - I had to run out to get something from my car and the wind was blowing so hard I felt like a popsicle after just 30 seconds its currently -3°F/-20°C so this picture seems fitting:

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Snow didn't hit until AFTER I got to National Harbor for MAGFest. So I'm good here. Everyone else, be safe.
      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Two to four inches they said. Not a big deal they said.

Got a text at 3am to let me know the base wasn't opening until 10am. Then at 9, when I was ready to go shovel my car out, I get a call letting me know the base is closed.

Eight inches of snow. Roads and sidewalks are iced over (Too cold for the salt to help much).
        "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

The snow stopped sometime overnight, but it's COLD (weather widget on the desktop says 6 degrees with a windchill of -16 or so). I don't have any long underwear so am not going out if I can help it.
          "I am quite confident that I do exist."
          "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Not much here in my neck of the woods. There's about 2 inches of snow and it's freakin' freezing, but that's about it.
            I question my sanity every day. Sometimes it answers.

Comment

At the start of my day at work after managing to get my truck started.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2361613863.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	2030400

Comment

Husband was in an accident on the Taconic Pkwy this morning.

He is fine. The car is not. Might be totaled.

His boss picked him up and drove him home. On the way, they spun out into a snowbank.

They're fine, his car is fine. I'm keeping husband out of vehicles for the forseeable future.

Be safe, everyone.

Comment

I left work after it started snowing last night; not a fun drive. I discovered my car has a slip indicator light. That's helpful.

Got about 8-10 inches here; at 6am I got an automated call from work saying they would open for first shift at 9. No way was I getting there by then. I can remote into my desktop from home, though, so I've been working from my couch. Went out around lunchtime to clear off my car and move it to a spot that had already been cleared, so the snow crew could get to the area where I was. Luckily my neighbor who was parked next to me was just finishing digging out and loaned me her snow shovel, since my shovel is in my parents' garage. It said it was 15 then (18 now) but it didn't really feel that cold while I was working on it.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Where I live, it was one degree F this morning. The windchill was -15 to -20. I said HELL NO to work. Wouldn't be so bad if I were a driver, but I didn't want to deal with standing at the bus stop (there's no shelter) in weather like that.

Weird thing is it's supposed to be in the 30's tomorrow.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

'k, I just went out to get the mail and I take it back. It's freakin' cold!

My boss lives in Minnesota and he has no sympathy for me. They're already closing schools for Monday because they are predicting negative double digit temperatures. I was talking to him yesterday and could hear his son in the background going "frostbite in minutes! frostbite in minutes!" ...he was really hoping for a day off, but I don't think it's just because he didn't want to have to wait for the bus.

As one the kids in NYC that the news reporter talked to last night about whether they thought they should cancel school for today said, "yeah, ... it won't kill us!"
                      Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 01-03-2014, 08:39 PM.

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                        My boss lives in Minnesota and he has no sympathy for me. They're already closing schools for Monday because they are predicting negative double digit temperatures. I was talking to him yesterday and could hear his son in the background going "frostbite in minutes! frostbite in minutes!" ...he was really hoping for a day off, but I don't think it's just because he didn't want to have to wait for the bus.
                        Correct. It's supposed to be -28F tomorrow night and -32F Sunday night. with a high of -15F Monday where I'm at. Colder north and warmer south.
                        "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

I heard the governor up in MN ordered all public schools closed on Monday. Wow. Here in Iowa, our esteemed governor is letting the districts decide for themselves. Already, schools are cancelling for Monday. Amazing. As for everyone in the northeast, I hope you're safe and warm and out of the Snowpocalypse!
                          "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                            I heard the governor up in MN ordered all public schools closed on Monday.
                            Yup, my boss sent us an article about it this morning, with a comment along the lines of "this should amuse you guys" ...since most of us were working from home.

Comment

Cold weather report from the Notorious J2K:

I was, as noted previously, in National Harbor, MD for MAGFest, and it didn't start snowing until after I'd parked my car. It snowed pretty heavily, but it was "dry" by Friday and Saturday. Friday, however, was BITTERLY cold and windy. Saturday, not so much. Sunday, it was raining gently.

Tonight, I'm told we have this "polar vortex" to make it colder. Mom, as usual, was paranoid about my wearing a short-sleeved shirt to work, saying I'll regret it when I'm coming home. My response? "I have a warm winter jacket, a scarf, hat, and gloves. Plus, I'll be parked as close to the building as possible. I'll be fine."
                              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Working...
                              X