This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New crochet thread

Let's share projects. I'm making a wide scarf for my nephew using this stitch: http://crochet.about.com/od/crochets...ructions_2.htm You're supposed to use a long crochet hook, but I'm using a regular one with tape on the end as a stopper. The work bunches up, but I'm ok with that. It's inexpensive but soft worsted acrylic and it's a soft denim color. He's 17, so I wanted understated and I hope the color goes with his clothes. He wears jeans, so....
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

I'm STILL working on a blanket that I started last year. It's a little bit bigger than this, this was taken when I pulled it out previously.

The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Question for you all

I was just given a pound of yarn. Would it be easier to knit or crochet an afghan? (I know how to knit (a little), but I've never crocheted)
      What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

I haven't crocheted for years. My last project is around here somewhere, only half finished ... a flame-stiched afghan in rainbow colors plus black and white; wonder where it is?
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Food Lady, it's so strange-your post title drew me in quickly. As I was reading your post about a scarf for a boy, I was thinking about the one I just made for my youngest son. It's the same stitch!

This particular stitch tends to curl on the ends/edges, but son loves it anyway.

I'm currently working on a blue and white double strand crocheted afghan for mom who is the biggest UK (University of KY) basketball fan. I'm using a double stitch for the main part of it but adding in a row here and there of a twisted stitch that I just learned. I think I'm going to be quite satisfied when I finish this project.

Comment

Luna, I'm thinking of some kind of finishing stitch I can do to correct the curling. I can do a slip stitch on the edge or some kind of crochet ribbing, I think. The yarn is so soft. It's called I Love This Yarn, and I do! I found it at Hobby Lobby.
            b]Parrothead,[/b] maybe you could do this on a larger scale: http://jennozkan.com/2010/12/crochet...g-only-better/ Of course, you'd have to look up a tutorial on half-double crochet first. You can see that the foundation row is the long side of the scarf. Usually with knitting the cast-on row is the horizontal shorter end of the scarf, and that can be true in crochet also. But for a rib pattern that runs lengthwise you have to switch gears.

Comment

Yay a crochet thread!!! (no pun intended)

So cool to read this thread and then discover you're doing tunisian crochet too!!! I'm doing a tunisian entrelac afghan and absolutely love this pattern. This is in just worsted weight yarn, and I'm already planning to do another in Homespun which will be tricky, as counting stitches with Homespun is difficult, but I think the colors I picked out will be beautiful.

Closeup:

Next one will be in these Homespun colors:

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth Luna Baby View Post
                Food Lady, it's so strange-your post title drew me in quickly. As I was reading your post about a scarf for a boy, I was thinking about the one I just made for my youngest son. It's the same stitch!

This particular stitch tends to curl on the ends/edges, but son loves it anyway.

I'm currently working on a blue and white double strand crocheted afghan for mom who is the biggest UK (University of KY) basketball fan. I'm using a double stitch for the main part of it but adding in a row here and there of a twisted stitch that I just learned. I think I'm going to be quite satisfied when I finish this project.
                The key to preventing tunisian crochet from curling is to use a hook 2x the size the manufacturer recommends for that size yarn, and crocheting loosely.

For example, for the afghan I am making above, the Red Heart worsted weight yarn recommends a size I-9/5.5mm hook, so I am using a K-10.5/6.5mm hook and as you can see in the picture, there's only a bit of curling (when I first started doing tunisian I didn't realize this, and my crochet curled up into a tube, it was crazy! I ended up having to frog my first scarf and then redo it with a larger hook.)

Also, finishing with a row or two of single crochet in the *opposite* direction of the tuinisian crochet can tame the curling, which is what I plan to do when I finish this.

Comment

I have a skein of Homespun. It's either going to become a neck warmer, headband/paranda, or shrug. I'm not sure.

Comment

Ahhhh! I'm in heaven in this thread!

Food Lady-I did attempt a finishing stitch, but was working off of an idea in my head rather than a pattern and didn't leave enough yard to do more than a single row....guess I'll have to think ahead from now on.

DeltaSierra-I had read about going with a larger size needle, but didn't prepare when I found it and bought it. May have to purchase one more needle and frog this one and start over. I love the colors for my son (and he does, too.) Thanks for the reminder on that tip.

Your piece is beautiful. I love the colors. I can also tell you that the Homespun won't be as hard as you think unless you are doing a really tight stitch of some sort. I did a circular afghan, 2 actually, in Homespun, and it was very simple. I used a half double (US) stitch and was able to use the posts to help count my stitches. I tried to use some leftover Homespun to attempt to learn a 10 stitch loom knit and was nearly in tears before I got 4 inches done.

Lordy, I wish I knew how to get pics posted. I'd love to share some of my work. Can I post a link to a public fb pic folder? I did put pictures of my scarves there and I'm starting to add more of my hats, etc....

Comment

I don't think the posts via FB will work- I put mine on Flickr and then share them here- you might want to try that.

Comment

The big advantage of crocheting over knitting is that when someone sits on your project you can follow the yarn to the screams.

(True mom adventure)
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                          The big advantage of crocheting over knitting is that when someone sits on your project you can follow the yarn to the screams.

(True mom adventure)
                          I would have thought that knitting needles would be more prone to a "jab and stick" than a crochet hook. Details please - sounds interesting.
                          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth patiokitty View Post

MOD NOTE - Trimmed excessive quote out of courtey to others

The owls are great because it means I can use up the last bits of my yarn that might not really work for much else
                            I LOVE the owls - they are absolutely adorable!!! Is there a pattern available online for them?
                            Last edited by Ree; 01-19-2014, 03:01 PM. Reason: Trimmed excessive quote

Comment

My mum gave me a ball of wool before Christmas asking if I could make her a pair of fingerless gloves again (I'd made some for her a couple of Christmases ago). I did and gave them to her as a Christmas present. She came around to visit today and gave me a huge hug and dropped another ball of the same wool in my lap and grinned at me.... So I'll be making her another pair

The wool is cool it is purple with sparkly bits in it. Last time I felt like I was crocheting with Twilight Sparkles mane
                              Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

Working...
                              X