This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egg recipe help

I think this is the right place to put this, if it's not I'm sorry.

Being I know how to make about 30 or so different dishes some of which are fairly complicated with a lot of steps I'm kind of embarrassed to say I have no idea how to do this one, I know it's supposed to be really easy and I've tried to find a recipe online. Every one I found was "spiced up" some with actual spices, others with a ton of stuff all over it, one that was deep fried , and one with chocolate . If anyone can help me out I need just a basic deviled eggs recipe, no bells & whistles, no gold fountains with diamonds spewing out, just something plain and simple. If I can get it right them I might find a way to put my spin on it, or not sometimes simple things are the best.
    ......../\
    ....../__\
    ..../\...../\
    ../__\../__\

Hardboiled eggs, cut in half, remove yolks, mix yolks with dressing until the consistency you want, put mix back in egg white half
    Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Hardboil eggs: put eggs in cold water. Older eggs peel better, so ideally, use old eggs. Bring to a boil, cover, turn off heat, and sit for ten minutes. Put in cold water to cool.

Peel eggs. Swear as necessary when they don't peel right despite doing everything right. Cut in half, lengthwise, and separate yolks and whites.

Mash up yolks with a fork, potato masher, or mixer, until fine. Add mayo and whip it together until it's nice and creamy.

Seasoning time! Add to taste: yellow mustard, salt and pepper, onion (grate it on a grater so you get a pulp that easily mixes into the filling. Onion powder works in a pinch.) a touch of hot sauce (I like sriracha.) dried dill (important!) a little garlic powder, and really, whatever else you like. Just keep tasting.

When you're pretty sure it's right, taste it with a piece of egg white (like one that you tore up beyond recognition trying to get the peel off) just to be sure.

Scoop it all into a ziplock bag, snip off the tip and pipe the filling into the whites.

Garnish with a sprinkle of paprika, and minced chives or scallions.

Boom.
      My webcomic is called Sidekick Girl. Val's job is kinda like retail, except instead of corporate's dumb policies, it's the Hero Agency, and the SC's are trying to take over the world.

Comment

I actually do them in a vegetable steamer for 15 minutes. That way they don't move around in boiling water and crack. I use mayo, dry mustard, dried dill, white pepper, and celery salt to taste. I like to sprinkle them with paprika, and for Christmas, half of them with paprika and the other half with dill or parsley. I like the idea of a bit of hot sauce, so they can really be called ed.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Thank you, I can't believe I didn't know how to make these. Now I have appetizers for movie day.
          ......../\
          ....../__\
          ..../\...../\
          ../__\../__\

Comment

I "bake" my eggs in the oven.

Comment

A co-worker of mine used to put a little bit of pickle juice in her deviled eggs. I never cared for deviled eggs until I tried hers.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

My cousin's wife had a Dr. Seuss-themed baby shower, so my aunt made deviled eggs, dyed the yolks green, and garnished with bits of diced ham.
                I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

The recipe I've used for deviled eggs in the past was half-and-half yolk and mustard (and yeah, that's a *lot* of mustard) with pepper added. (It's not "deviled" if it's not hot as hell! ) Given that base, you can modify it to enormous extents for both flavor and texture. Why mash up that onion when you could have diced pieces in the mix? Or celery?

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    A co-worker of mine used to put a little bit of pickle juice in her deviled eggs. I never cared for deviled eggs until I tried hers.
                    I use pickle relish in mine
                    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I use simple mayo, mustard (usually dijon or country style tastes best,) with seasoning salt, pepper, dill, my secret ingredient (not telling!) and if I have them, bacon bits and shredded cheddar (sharp works best.) It's amazing. For a spicier kick, use jalapeno mustard (Beaver brand makes a really good one.)

Comment

I hard "boil" my eggs by steaming them. Place a steamer basket in your pot and place enough water in the pot to come up to just below the bottom of the steamer; you don't want it actually touching the steamer. Place your eggs in the basket and place on the stove. Clamp a lid on it and turn the heat on, heat until the water is boiling, then boil for 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain the water, and dump the eggs into an ice water bath (or you could just run really cold tap water over them.) Let them sit in cold water for at least 10-15 minutes before trying to peel them. I find that steaming them this way makes them easier to peel. Also, using older eggs seems to make them easier to peel too. If you know you want devilled eggs in 2 weeks, buy your eggs now and let them sit in the fridge till you're ready to make them. To center the yolks, turn the carton on its side the night before you boil (or steam) them.

I have only actually made deviled eggs once, and I used this recipe. I guess it is kinda fancy (the filling includes cream cheese and sriracha sauce) but they were delicious. Everyone who ate them said they were the best deviled eggs they'd ever tried. http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2012/...hese-were.html

Comment

For my yolk mixture I use:
                          Light mayo (couple tablespoons)
                          Creamy ranch dressing (couple squirts from the bottle)
                          Dijon mustard (couple squirts here too)
                          Salt/pepper
                          Garlic powder
                          Onion powder
                          Paprika
                          Sweet relish (1 teaspoon to 1 1/2 tsp depending on how much you like pickles)

Garnish completed eggs with paprika and bacon bits. I don't use measurements when I cook, so just use ingredients to taste and the consistency is smooth and creamy but not runny.

I'm going to have to try the steaming method; I hate peeling eggs!

Comment

I just put the eggs in the refrigerator to cool down, I'm gonna do 3 different kinds for movie night: the simple basic ones, ones with a little bit of cheese and sweet ones (instead of using a pinch of salt I'll use a pinch of sugar, mom said that's how aunt Cathy did hers) I'm gonna do 6 of each. I think that'll be enough in addition to mini burgers, mini tacos, and popcorn.
                            ......../\
                            ....../__\
                            ..../\...../\
                            ../__\../__\

Comment

I usually use the recipe from the good old-fashioned Betty Crocker cookbook. That's the second one on this page. The others look pretty good, too.

Darn it, now I'm craving devilled eggs!
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                              X