Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not so sure that we're as rare as you may think....

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

Heck, I have almost no training as a magician, but I've read a little bit on the internet. Give me some practice, and I could do it too. Even on a day when my hands were shaky. Probably even more convincingly on days when I was shaky!

For some of the techniques, there are giveaway signs. Next time you & Jester are in the same place, have him show you. It'll spoil some of the fun of watching magic shows, but I think it's a worthwhile tradeoff.

Or consider bringing a lidded cup with you whenever you go drinking, and after the bartender has measured your drinks, have him pour them into your lidded cup. Makes it much harder to spike the drink, I would imagine.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
        For some of the techniques, there are giveaway signs. Next time you & Jester are in the same place, have him show you. It'll spoil some of the fun of watching magic shows, but I think it's a worthwhile tradeoff.
        Don't need training as a magician to pull some of that stuff off. And I could show people how such scumbags might accomplish their deeds without revealing bupkis as a magician.

Quoth Seshat View Post
        Or consider bringing a lidded cup with you whenever you go drinking, and after the bartender has measured your drinks, have him pour them into your lidded cup. Makes it much harder to spike the drink, I would imagine.
        Playing Devil's Advocate here, but even with a lidded drink, it it's left unattended and unguarded, the lid will not stop a determined scumbag.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
          Don't need training as a magician to pull some of that stuff off. And I could show people how such scumbags might accomplish their deeds without revealing bupkis as a magician.
          I don't know if that's reassuring or scary.

Playing Devil's Advocate here, but even with a lidded drink, it it's left unattended and unguarded, the lid will not stop a determined scumbag.
          Oh hell no. It just makes it harder for someone to do it "in a full bar without anyone seeing anything. Possibly even with the victim right there at the time".

It's like locking the door to your car or your house. It increases the level of difficulty, and most scumbags are lazy.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
            I don't know if that's reassuring or scary.
            Probably a little bit of both. My training as a magician probably lets me see things a bit differently than most, but I could still figure out a way to pull that off, and to show people how it could be pulled off, without them later watching my act and going, "Oh....so THAT'S how the Jack of Spades ended up under my hand!"

Quoth Seshat View Post
            Oh hell no. It just makes it harder for someone to do it "in a full bar without anyone seeing anything. Possibly even with the victim right there at the time".
            Harder, sure, but still not impossible. Hell, I almost feel I should film a PSA to show how not difficult it would be to spike someone's drink.

Quoth Seshat View Post
            It's like locking the door to your car or your house. It increases the level of difficulty, and most scumbags are lazy.
            Lazy, sure. But also determined.

In the time it took me to type this reply, I've thought of two separate ways I could spike a lidded drink. And it's late, I'm tired, and I've been drinking. Just imagine if I was a dedicated fuckwad.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Now I'm curious.

Keepcups are what I had in mind as lidded cups.

Comment

Interesting.

Well, it wouldn't be easy, but it wouldn't be impossible.

Keep in mind, it would be easier with that cup and someone who's not paying attention than it would be with a normal open glass or cup and someone who is. The person is far important than the vessel.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Jester, I think that you over estimate the number of people who'd actually stick their necks out. I have to say even after last week, I'd hesitate to confront somebody. The kind of person who'd do that would be likely to be the kind of person that would get violent, and I'd be afraid of that. Now, would I say something to the victim? Yes, definitely. But I'd be afraid to say anything to the scumbag like the last woman in that video did.
                  At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

I don't think I'm overestimating it at all, as I think a lot of people wouldn't do shit. You're overestimating my faith in humanity.

But most guys who would do that are cowards, and while they may have a lot of bluster, most of them don't want a confrontation, and would back down or skulk away or deny, deny, deny. Are there some who would get violent? Sure. Especially if they've just been caught in what they know is something most people think is wrong. Violence is the last refuge for tyrants. But most of these guys aren't tyrants, they're straight up cowards.

The only thing I've very slipped a girl to get her to go him with me is my personality. If that's not enough, nothing else ever will be. Any guy who thinks otherwise is a world class scumbag.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Jester, have I told you lately that I love you?

Comment

In fact, there are a lot of people on this board I love, even though I've never met any of you.

Comment

Jester, I think one of the reasons our perspectives are different is because you're a guy. I'd hesitate because even though I'm not a weakling, on the chance that somebody did get violent, I'd be toast. Heck, you could take me down and I outweigh you by at least 20 pounds. Also, this type of scumbag obviously has no respect for women, and would be less likely to get douchy with a guy than a chick in a confrontation.

And Morgana, don't tell him that! Key West is already barely big enough to contain his ego! j/k. Jester's a great guy. I consider myself lucky to be his friend.
                          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                            Harder, sure, but still not impossible. Hell, I almost feel I should film a PSA to show how not difficult it would be to spike someone's drink.
                            Do it, it would be nice.

Back in the early 80s one of the ladies I hung around with refused to drink anything that wasn't in a bottle or can opened in front of her. There was a bit of drink spiking going on in Rochester at the time [well, and also a serial killer.] As far as I know, she never got her drink screwed with though there were a few I went to college with that did get mickeyed at one time or another. We knew which places to avoid *cough* Penny Arcade* cough*
                            EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                              Interesting.

Well, it wouldn't be easy, but it wouldn't be impossible.

Keep in mind, it would be easier with that cup and someone who's not paying attention than it would be with a normal open glass or cup and someone who is. The person is far important than the vessel.
                              How about the Tervis stuff? The 24 oz is our swill cup of choice - keeps cold stuff from sweating on furniture, keeps the fingers from getting burnt on hot swill, lids are nice for not spilling stuff ... oooo new pattern, peacock!!!!!

EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

One of the reasons I got into the habit of drinking beer straight from the bottle is that the smaller opening is harder to spike. Not that it can't be done, but it takes a bit more effort. Recently though, I've gotten into craft beers, and many of those on on draft.

Comment

Working...
                                X