This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a second job, may have lost the first

I couldn't go in to my trampoline job due to family emergency today. I was trying to put it on the tradeboard online yesterday and hoped someone would grab some extra hours

My roommate who works at the same place was supposed to grab it but at last minute got sick....so i called the manager and she warned me it was up to the owner, but if I don't come in I may not have a job anymore.

Welp.

But due to some politics and upheaval at that job already (depending if I should make a topic on that due to how big it actually is...), I was already looking for a second part time. Found one at a restaurant. A small, Laotian/Thai food restaurant. First day was yesterday, and it was quite easy going compared to other restaurants I tried to be at. They already wanted to give more hours but I was going to try to juggle both.

Guess not :/

The thing that bothers me is I never no-called, no showed. I had it online record saying I couldn't come in since yesterday, and I called an hour before my shift. It was supposed to be two, so thats my fault. But on terms on attendance...almost always a perfect early. just two call ins, and one time I still walked in early while very sick with a high fever and requested to go home early.

This is my second call in since the first time I was sick and panicky.

We'll see if the owner even reaches me. I don't want to lose it now, I was planning on going after a month or so at the other place and get a feel...but....Idk

I know I seem like an unreliable person but I can't help but feel it was smart to look around three months in...

My work history is unstable, for a 23-year-old. I get that. Early on I had no confidence and left early. Or I would get fed up and leave or the like. I understand this makes me look unstable...So I'm a bit in a depressed state

Why don't you just quit your first job and take on more hours for your second job?
    cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

*hugs* Don't beat yourself up too much. The restaurant liked you enough to give you a shot, right? See if you can stick it out with them for a while and build up a work history. Really, though, it sounds like you did everything you were supposed to with the trampoline job. If they're going to fire you over one family emergency then they sound like people you don't want to work for in the first place.

As a 23 year old, an unstable work history is a bit more understandable. Depending on how old you were when you entered the work force, you haven't had time to build up a good history. Don't worry. You'll find your niche soon enough.
      Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Quoth cindybubbles View Post
        Why don't you just quit your first job and take on more hours for your second job?
        I'm only getting 20-25 hours at second job. I originally was going to keep both for one month since first was still also part time...

I just hope things stay good. It looks promising though

Comment

Quoth Teysa View Post

As a 23 year old, an unstable work history is a bit more understandable. Depending on how old you were when you entered the work force, you haven't had time to build up a good history. Don't worry. You'll find your niche soon enough.
          I entered the workforce at age 19, just two weeks shy of my 20th birthday.
          Longest job I was was 5 months and 20 days at the hotel...and despite knowing it wasn't a good enviroment, I feel like a failure

Comment

You're not a failure. You've only been working about three years. I started working the summer before I turned 17. By the time I was 23 I had worked at a grocery store, an amusement park, a call center, a candy store, a shoe store, an inventory company, and a couple of different department stores. I will admit jobs were a lot easier to come by back then but I still did a lot of jumping around.

At least if the trampoline job goes bye-bye, you still have the restaurant job. Part-time is better than no-time and you said they were wanting to give you extra hours. I'd take them up on it if I were you.
            Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Just don't try temping...

I've been in the workforce since the end of 2008 when I left uni and no-one's given me the time of day, so I had to resort to selling soul to the temp agencies to get rent money. The last two interviews I got for proper jobs both said that they consider temping to not be actual work experience and the last one was desperate for call centre staff without saying it openly and breaking the law by forcing their employees to waive their right to restrict their hours to 48 a week. I couldn't even get an interview for the place I've been working in for seven months where they're haemmoeraging workers.
              "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Working...
              X