Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dear Abbey, I'm a divorced woman who can't.... woah! This came to the wrong place!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Abbey, I'm a divorced woman who can't.... woah! This came to the wrong place!

Someone's finger slipped somewhere out there in the great information web and they accidentally sent a text message to me that was clearly intended for someone else.

"Are you at church?"

If it weren't for the fact it's a company cell and they'd probably frown on it, I was soooooo tempted to respond:

"Yeah, when are YOU gonna get here with the live chickens and the bucket? We're all waiting."

Now, if only that number from Colorado (303 area code?! Really?!) would stop incessantly calling, life would be darn near perfect. (I don't answer for fear it's a telemarketer who will flag the number as "good" since someone picked up, causing MORE calls)

But the one from California I didn't recognize? I shouldn't have answered it either, but, hey, I was already pretty infuriated. It came on the heels of several other unsolicited out-of-state calls I'd been getting that day, so I answered it and dropped it on the dashboard, cranked up the classic rock radio station to max volume and left the truck.

They'd hung up when I got back and haven't tried again since.
    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

It seems to have stopped now, but I've gotten a half dozen texts out of the blue from a number (I think an Ontario number, I'm in New Brunswick) I don't know. They're pretty innocuous so I just delete them with no answer.

Funny thing is, I've had this number for years now and never had this sort of thing happen until now. I figure Koodo's got some wires crossed or something. (Or someone's just fat fingering a number somewhere).

Comment

My cell number (which I've had FOREVER, it was my mom's first cell number in the mid-90s) has been getting hammered lately with local numbers I don't recognize, never leaves a message. Whocalled.us will only tell me that it's a cell phone on the other end.

Also 877 numbers. I wish our carrier didn't charge to block certain incoming numbers...
      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Some time ago I was getting never ending text messages from the Ukraine. It was quite weird.
        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
          "Yeah, when are YOU gonna get here with the live chickens and the bucket? We're all waiting."
          I pray to Jobu to help with curveball. Straight ball, I hit it very much. But curveball? Bats are afraid.

Comment

This makes me grateful for my iPhone, which can block unwanted texts and calls with a couple of keystrokes.

Prior to that, I'd damn near throw my phone in frustration when this happened to me.
            "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth DiRF View Post
              I pray to Jobu to help with curveball. Straight ball, I hit it very much. But curveball? Bats are afraid.
              FUCK YOU, Jobu. I do this myself.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Peppergirl View Post
                This makes me grateful for my iPhone, which can block unwanted texts and calls with a couple of keystrokes.

Prior to that, I'd damn near throw my phone in frustration when this happened to me.
                Could you tell me how?

Comment

If you get a text, go to 'contact' up at the top right corner, then hit the little information symbol. Then a menu comes up for 'block this caller' at the bottom.

For calls, go to your 'recents' list and do same as above. Hit the little information symbol (looks like an i with a circle around it), then 'block this caller' at the bottom.

It's worked flawlessly so far, for me at least.
                  "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

A few years ago I bought a cheap PAYG phone for my daughter to have in her pocket if we ever went anywhere fairly crowded. She's not good out in crowds & got quite paranoid thinking we'd get separated so the phone was to help reassure her that if that happened she could get hold of me quickly.

Every time I switched it on there were texts of very rude & explicit "jokes".. the really nasty kind.
                    I sent a message back saying, hey, this isn't who you think you're texting, can you lay off the jokes please, but still kept getting them.

After a particularly nasty one, I replied with something like, "this number belongs to a very sick elderly lady & if you send one more of these so called jokes, I'm going to the police to report you for sexual harassment" or something similar, can't remember now.

Funny, never got another one!
                    Arp happens!

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today.

Comment

Love that feature. On my previous iPhone, I downloaded the TrueCaller app and would block the numbers that way.

Had an Ontario number not only call recently but left a voicemail - some bad accented guy saying something about a loan application (I have not applied for any loans recently.) I simply deleted the message and blocked the number.
                      Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

It's worked flawlessly so far, for me at least.
                        I have a suspicion that a lot of the blank calls I get are telemarketers...block one number, they find another one. Someone needs to come up with something that can block based on originating telco number, not just what shows up on CID.
                        "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                        "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

DS - That's why they mask/spoof their numbers, to make it harder to do that. F***ers. >_<

I've reported plenty of them to the FCC, and have been on DNC for years now. The mystery calls that get through are invariably the sorts of places that don't obey the FCC anyway, but being on the list has slashed the number by a huge amount.
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Ugh, when I first got my latest cell phone number, apparently it used to belong to some girl named Summer. The first month or so I had that number, I would get texts at like 4am from drunk, horny guys wanting to hook up or try and 'sweet talk' Summer.

Comment

Summer sounds like a party girl, judging from her choice of men she gave her number to...
                              Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                              OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                              she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                              Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Working...
                              X