Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Islam question (no, does not go in fratching...it's about logistics)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Islam question (no, does not go in fratching...it's about logistics)

Hey everyone.

Any Muslims on here who might answer a question for me? At my store we have a lot of Muslim customers (or at least a lot of customers who wear what looks like a hijab to my untutored eyes) and today, one of them had an alarm go off on her phone. It was the call to prayer (which I recognized from the Travel Channel, though as a bit of an amateur sociologist, I should have already known it...drat).

I know observant Muslims pray several times a day, and at set times, and that their prayer ritual involves physical movements and that the words need to be said aloud. I also know that prayer must be done in a clean place.

So here is my question. If a Muslim was out in public in, say, a department store when prayer time came, where would he or she do said prayer? I know that in predominately Muslim countries, everything just kind of stops and everyone prays, but here in the USA, it seems like it would be hard to find a good place. The bathroom would be off-limits due to cleanliness rules, or at least I think so.

So...insight?
    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

As far as my library goes, I've seen some customers use our "side patio" for praying, or one of the more quiet corners/areas of the building.

Comment

I recall a story where an Islamic man was praying in the entry of an alley. I guess some of them do not follow as strictly about where to pray, or maybe they don't have to cleanse the area or whatever as long as they can get down a prayer rug.
      My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

I agree that the bathroom wouldn't do.

Anywhere that's not right in the middle of where people are trying to do things. An alcove, a patio, an infrequently used corridor. Anywhere like that.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

The only insight I can give is that a kiosk owner at the local mall puts a sign up and prays right there in the middle of his kiosk (it's the square glass case type).
          The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Continuing the logistical questioning, I have one.

Since Muslims are supposed to pray at certain times, if I follow this right, what happens if they are unable to pray at the set time? Is there a penalty? Or is it understood that sometimes such activity is impossible. I'm picturing getting stuck in traffic or delayed on a flight or similar things beyond their own control.

Or am I misunderstanding this, and it's actually just that they are supposed to pray a certain number of times a day, and each individual Muslim decides which times to engage in prayer?

My understanding of Islam is not that extensive, and most of what I know of it, logistically speaking anyways, is their dietary laws, which closely resembles those of Judaism.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

I think it's supposed to be at certain times. We had a temporary employee who needed to pray, so he used the empty office upstairs. It's a very small one, just big enough for a desk, and it's used just for charging some of the PDAs. I used to go rest my head in there on my lunch the time I was recovering from a brain injury. It was the only quiet, dark place I could go. All the noise and movement and light on the floor made my symptoms worse. I'm glad we have that room.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Ok folks, I looked around some forums, and what I found out is that the prayers are supposed to be done at certain times, but if it isn't possible, the prayer can be "made up" as soon as the Muslim has time to do it.

As far as I know, Islam is actually pretty understanding of the real life issues people face. For example, if someone is ill, elderly, pregnant or breastfeeding, then fasting during Ramadan isn't required.
                "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Islam would have to be understanding of reality: Islamic pilots aren't crashing planes by abandoning their duty to attend prayer, nor are Islamic air traffic controllers skipping out and causing uncontrolled airspace. Islamic medical staff aren't abandoning hospitals for prayer .. and so on.

My guess is that it's similar to the Minute's Silence that Australia (and probably other places) observes for World War memorials. If you can do it, you do. If you're in the middle of brain surgery or rocket science (or driving, or ....), you wait and hold a personal Silence.

I suspect (but don't know) that such tasks as air traffic control hold staggered prayer times.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

At a mall I sometimes go to, I saw the guy from one of the kiosks praying on a mat in a corner by one of the stores.

I assumed he was Muslim because of that.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
                      Ok folks, I looked around some forums, and what I found out is that the prayers are supposed to be done at certain times, but if it isn't possible, the prayer can be "made up" as soon as the Muslim has time to do it.

As far as I know, Islam is actually pretty understanding of the real life issues people face. For example, if someone is ill, elderly, pregnant or breastfeeding, then fasting during Ramadan isn't required.
                      Pretty much that - almost all the cardinal rules/rites of Islam go by "you must do this... IF YOU ARE ABLE TO".

Reminds me of a story a Muslim politician told on the radio - when he was young, he served at an airforce base in Northern Greenland... that year the Ramadan fasting period was set in midsummer, hence the sun never set. So he called his mosque back home, and they worked out that he could eat after 9.00pm (when the sun set in his home city).
                      A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

So the fasting for Ramadan is done only after sunset? (Again, I ask because I don't know.)

This must be how any Muslims in very north places like Greenland and Alaska deal with things like this.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                        Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                          So the fasting for Ramadan is done only after sunset? (Again, I ask because I don't know.)

This must be how any Muslims in very north places like Greenland and Alaska deal with things like this.

Jester, fasting during Ramadan is done during daylight hours. Between sunrise to sunset, Muslims (who are not excused via some health condition) won't eat or drink. Not even water. That's hardcore faith. Though my Saudi student told me that during Ramadan in her home country, the day schedule totally flips. People stay up late into the night and sleep during the day. Shops and schools are open at night too.

Comment

The feast after Ramadan (I think it's called Eid) is something amazing, however. In my area, one of the local parks becomes a massive (for us) festival; complete with fireworks and great food and music and dancing.

I've never personally worked up the courage to ask if I can join in. I suspect so, though.

(Yes, the park is one of the ones the local Council makes available to community groups for such events. It also hosts the Carols by Candlelight.)

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                              The feast after Ramadan (I think it's called Eid) is something amazing, however. In my area, one of the local parks becomes a massive (for us) festival; complete with fireworks and great food and music and dancing.

I've never personally worked up the courage to ask if I can join in. I suspect so, though.

(Yes, the park is one of the ones the local Council makes available to community groups for such events. It also hosts the Carols by Candlelight.)
                              I've seen a few of those around my corner of the world too, would be interesting to photograph.

Comment

Working...
                              X