Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So today I'm on service desk, you know, putting out fires all day. I literally at times have 2 people needing my help at once. I'm just trying to stay afloat, as there are tons of defective items being returned. So the store manager wants me to ask every single customer to sign up. While they're returning stuff. On a Saturday. I love her, I really do, but that's just totally unrealistic.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Speaking of unrealistic expectations and credit cards...Retail strikes again ^__^ Their current storyline is about exactly this topic, with the new guy (an ASM who has very much drunk the Kool-Aid) finding out first hand how it all *really* works. Link is to the start of the relevant storyline.

http://retailcomic.com/comics/april-18-2016/
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

The way it was explained to me (at Big Box Electronics Store) is that credit card companies (Visa, MasterCard, etc.) charge x amount per transaction that the store has to pay. Thus, the Company Credit Card doesn't cost anything for the company and it promotes brand loyalty </end Kool Aid spiel>

It was really frustrating for me, because the company I worked for recently started HEAVILY pushing it and it created this....environment where it didn't matter if you sold a million dollars with protection and everything, if you didn't get a credit card, you failed. I abhor being pushed to sign up for credit cards. I don't have the credit for it and I always buy stuff when I know I have the money for it. I refused to push customers to do it too.

Comment

To be fair, a Kohls charge card is probably the only one I've seen that actually has a substantial discount/coupon program...

I used to buy work/dress clothes from Kohls and spend $150-$200 each time I went. My wife, using her Kohls Cash, % Off coupons, and Kohls Card, gets me the exact same amount of clothing for around $75. We even bought both my teens' school outfits last year for around $100 even, and if we had paid full sticker price it would have been over $500.
          "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
          -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

Interesting bit on the KotH episode. Wouldn't have flown here in WI. Years back, working as an EMT, we had to wait on more than one occasion for a tower with hazmat endorsements. To the best of my knowledge, you still need the endorsements to tow a truck with a hazardous load.

Comment

One wonders if the applications have to be correct, or in any way factual, to count?

Like, would you be in trouble if all of your customers just happened to give bogus names and socials on their quota-fulfilling applications? ... Uhh, just asking for a friend...
              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Well, I know at Kohls and probably most places now they do it right at the registers. So uh, probably not worth it?

But this did remind me of when my company was on a push to get people to sign up for emails. At the time our registers weren't capable of it so we just had a paper by the registers. Well, we had to get I'll say 10 a shift. Oh we got our 10 a shift. I'd like to apologize to anyone that got signed up without knowing they did. But we did have fun making up emails!
                Last edited by Trixie; 05-09-2016, 07:40 PM.
                I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                  One wonders if the applications have to be correct, or in any way factual, to count?

Like, would you be in trouble if all of your customers just happened to give bogus names and socials on their quota-fulfilling applications? ... Uhh, just asking for a friend...
                  At my job they don't even have to qualify. As long as the app pushes through I get credit.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                  X