Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good trap for later, but as magic was dead in the area.. wouldn't have been possible magically.
    Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Myt -- Perhaps Apollo meant that there was a "Deafness"-type spell on the area, not an anti-magic zone? I suppose you COULD have both of those at once if the setting allows for a technological way to suppress sound, though

As an extreme, one could always have a setting -- or at least, a broad area -- that runs on "Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura" rules. i.e.: Where magic dominates, technology doesn't, and vice versa. At a wizard's tower: high-tech weapons will simply function as heavier versions of normal weapons; mechanical devices will lock up or simply fall apart; alchemically/scientifically created healing items will lose their ability to heal. In a tech-dominant area, such as a steampunk city or a powerful locomotive: enchanted weapons will act as if they were mundane; spells will fizzle; magic potions will effectively be colored water, etc. e.g.: One of the specific caveats to the setting is that mid-level mages who wish to take trains are confined to the caboose (so their very presence doesn't make the engine spontaneously explode or break down), and higher-level ones are forbidden entirely.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Thought of another one. The key is a 3-d jigsaw puzzle, with the pieces scattered through one or more rooms leading up to the locked door. Maybe some of the pieces have been taken by denizens of the place, who will guard them fiercely. Maybe some of them are set into mosaics in the walls and/or floors. Maybe some of them are protected by traps that the players have to figure out how to get around. You could give your players an actual 3-d puzzle and have them solve it once they collect all the pieces in the dungeon. There are lots of them available, in difficulty ranges from fairly easy to diabolical.

If you wanted to use the silence trap sort of thing and there's no way to enforce it magically or mechanically, set it up so that any speaking at all in the room (even whispers) triggers one or more painful traps. Might take the players a while to figure that one out. Maybe have inscribed on the walls of the room 'Silence is golden' over and over again to give them the hint. Or alternately have so MUCH ambient noise in the room that there's no possible way they players can hear each other, even shouting right next to each other.
        Last edited by Kittish; 05-27-2016, 08:04 PM.
        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          Myt -- Perhaps Apollo meant that there was a "Deafness"-type spell on the area, not an anti-magic zone? I suppose you COULD have both of those at once if the setting allows for a technological way to suppress sound, though
          White-noise generators? (I think that's the term).
          "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
          Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

Quoth ApolloSZ View Post
            White-noise generators? (I think that's the term).
            Death metal rap polkas at 120db?
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
            X