This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is going to be insane and I am scared

To those of you who know where I live and live in the nearby region will understand why.

Now normally a run-of-the-mill Labor Day weekend for this town is steady but not overly crazy. That is unless the weather decides to NOT cooperate and it rains or even if it LOOKS like rain then insanity ensues in the food business.

BUT this weekend the region is garrenteed to be insane. Now normally even with Major National Football Team plays the business we and everyone gets is pretty good and somewhat crazy. Now my town almost never hosts a college game BUT this weekend (specifically Saturday afternoon) we will and a MAJOR college game at that.

Our major state college is playing a southern powerhouse school. Both schools have BIG followings with legions of fans and alumni the world over. Hotels have been sold out for a year. Local businesses have gotten orders as much as 4 or 5 months ago for tailgating, partying, trinkets, cookies, wearable stuff, etc. Houses all around the region have been rented for the whole week/weekend.

Even the News and local business officials are predicting many MORE people in town/region than even for a home football game.

The next 5 days are going to be interesting at worst insane at best.

H E L P M E

Now a funny side: the Area Manager mistakenly told one of our sister stores "AHHHHHH slow Labor Day weekend..... NO PROBLEM schedule lightly" She did NOT seem to have a clue about the BIG COLLEGE GAME this weekend until I TOLD HER on Monday. SHE was geninuely surprised as this had been a major news leader for weeks.
    Last edited by Racket_Man; 08-30-2016, 11:34 PM.
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

I offer you my best wishes this weekend. You'll need it.
    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

I learned my lesson about paying attention to the local hand egg team several years ago, when they were *gasp* winning a lot of games. I once accidentally went to the smaller neighborhood grocery store (with no SCOs) about 15 minutes before a game was going to start. Mistake. Also learned that people go insane for licensed NFL fabric after people started calling hours before we opened to try to get us to put some on hold for them. It just makes sense to watch this sort of thing.

I have no idea what teams you speak of (I thought Crimson Tide was a reference to menstruation for YEARS), but the weather looks to be really scary for a lot of the country. Be safe!
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post

I have no idea what teams you speak of (I thought Crimson Tide was a reference to menstruation for YEARS), but the weather looks to be really scary for a lot of the country. Be safe!
        If I remember correctly the Crimson Tide is the team for the school Rory originally wanted to attend on Gilmore Girls, but I maybe wrong.

I've really lived in a town where knowing the local hand egg schedule was important and on campus the biggest issue is living near the stadium and hearing all the noise when you are trying to sleep or study.

Comment

When Kinda Local Big League Football Team was doing pretty damn well during and up to the Super Bowl, my manager had us do a shit-ton of cakes, cookie trays, and other crap that didn't sell very well. We were making comments about how football fans want real food instead of sweets and that we'd be donating at least 90% of that stuff. Which we did and was one of the reasons why corporate starting looking at our donation percentage a bit more closely.

Unfortunately my manager still hasn't learned her damn lesson and foresee Labor Day Weekend to be the same way.
          Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

For those not familiar (and those who are) with the US version of the hand egg game, here is an accurate description:

What It Was Was Football.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

real fun stuff

Friday was a SNOOZE FEAST. we were actually bored

Tonight after the game pedal to the metal busy see my post in the General Board for a couple of WTFs.
              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Working...
              X