This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oklahoma earthquakes!!!

So around 7 this morning my gaming session was interrupted by a 5.6 quake. apparently tying the strongest quake in recent history. Here is the current usgs page showing the quake and all the aftershocks.

The "Fearless Leader" Gov. Fallin has declared an emergency.

So did any of my OK, AR, MO, KS, or TX CSers feel it?
    This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
    my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Woke me up (again). I was just crawling into bed after spending the night on the floor with a sick kiddo.

Scared the bejezus outta me.
    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

An emergency?

California is laughing at you.

Comment

Quoth Aria View Post
        An emergency?

California is laughing at you.
        YES.

Kanalah, that must've been weird. For one thing you woke up on the floor and then there's a quake in non-quake country.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
          YES.

Kanalah, that must've been weird. For one thing you woke up on the floor.
          ....waking up on the floor is more common than you'd imagine for some of us
          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
            Yea, but how many of those folks can say with complete accuracy that the earth moved for them?
            You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
              I don't want to know....
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

California can laugh all they want. They're numbed because they live on the Ring of Fire.

When you live in an area of the country not known for experiencing earthquakes, like Oklahoma, or Northern Virginia, it's scary shit.

Certainly freaked me out a bit when it happened to us in Northern Va., in the middle of a workday.
                PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
                  California can laugh all they want. They're numbed because they live on the Ring of Fire.

When you live in an area of the country not known for experiencing earthquakes, like Oklahoma, or Northern Virginia, it's scary shit.

Certainly freaked me out a bit when it happened to us in Northern Va., in the middle of a workday.
                  Cali lost a bit of street cred recently. So, you always hear "oh, nothing surprises me, I'm from LA." Or some variation on that. (My area of the PNW got a huge influx of Californians when I was younger)

But they aren't immune! Recently someone heard a loud noise at LAX, and everyone panicked. Now, I'm not saying that there isn't justification to panic, due to... Well, the world. I'm not trying to be mean. I'm just saying... Things do surprise them, they do panic, and they do react like the rest of the world when something unexpected happens.

I haven't felt an earthquake in a while. I few months ago there was a smallish one, right when I was drifting off to sleep, and that scared me a little. When I was in middle school we had one that was 6.8. Buuuut I was a little kid and it was fun to me, not scary. I hope everyone's pipes are okay. When we had the 6.8 one, our house was fine and we weren't hurt, but the kitchen sink pipes had shaken loose, and the septic system was messed up, so they had to dig a big trench to find the problem. Not fun!
                  Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Hahaha guys!

Actually my daughter was throwing up and my dryer is broken, so we made a pallet on the floor for her to sleep. I slept next to her on the floor to help reassure her all night. Then my alarm went off at 7 and I went back into my bedroom for an "extra" half hour's sleep only to get woken up by the earthquake.

And our earthquakes out here are long. It's weird and creepy.
                    https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post

And that's when you wake up lying on the floor with a Ring of Fire

...that's been a fun night....
                      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I fell into / a burning ring of fire...

Comment

I just found out that they upgraded the magnitude from 5.6 to 5.7. the strongest in this century for OK. In all honesty, i have dealt with floods, tornadoes, ice storms dropping 1.5" and killing the power for days, but i'm not enjoying the quakes. give me something i can see and prepare for over a "SURPRISE!!! Etch-a-sketch time!!!"

Comment

Quoth SteeleDragon78 View Post
                            I just found out that they upgraded the magnitude from 5.6 to 5.7. the strongest in this century for OK.
                            "Strongest in this century" is no big deal - seeing that there are still 83 years to go.
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                              "Strongest in this century" is no big deal - seeing that there are still 83 years to go.
                              sorry, i misquoted my source, it was intended to say "Strongest in a century". this is excluding the New Madrid Quakes of 1811 - 1812.

Comment

Working...
                              X