What Are You Reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quoth Pixilated View Post

I'll look around for that. I've just stumbled over a great second-hand bookstore in the city that might carry it. (Is that one book of short stories, or are there several under that title?)

A few months ago I pretty much cleaned them out of all their Star Trek (TOS) books. Once I think I can afford it (!!) I'll go back and see if they've put out any more.
    Three under the line so far - Star Wars: From A Certain Point Of View, Empire Strikes Back: FACPOV, and so on.

Terrible they can be, but man I love old Star Trek novels. They went wild with what little canon was around.
    Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
    They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

• I just finished The Ministry of Time by Kaliane Bradley. It has been on the best seller list for the past few weeks. It is an excellent book.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

• I have started reading Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare by Giles Milton. The recent movie is based on one of the operations in the book.

Comment

• I finished off the first sequel to "We are Legion (We are Bob)". Just as fun a read as the first book! The third one is supposed to be showing up tomorrow, though I won't hold my breath with the way the mail around here works.
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

• I finished reading Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare by Giles Milton.

I am now reading After 1177 B.C.: The Survival of Civilizations by Eric H. Cline. It is the sequel to 1177 B.C.: The Year Civilization Collapsed.

Comment

• Working my way through "Master of Attic Black Figure Painting: The Art and Legacy of Exekias". He was a potter and painter of pottery in ancient Greece. My late mother and I both enjoyed his work--she was an ancient art historian. Apparently when I was about five, I stopped her in the middle of a run through the Vatican with "Look, mommy--Exekias!" And it was the famous pot with Ajax and Achilles playing chess.

The book is kind of dense, as it's something of an academic text; it has analyses of most or all of the works we have that are attributed to him.

He may be the only ancient Greek potter whose name we actually know (most are labeled with the location where most of their work is found) because some of his pots are signed, or rather, labeled with "I was made by Exekias".

I'm thinking about doing a version of the Ajax and Achilles pot, but with a board of hexes, a pawn, a couple of house tokens, and a couple of dice. And a "speech balloon" from Achilles that says "I will trade wood for sheep" (but in Greek). "Θα ανταλλάξω ξύλα με πρόβατα"

“There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.

Comment

• Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                ... And a "speech balloon" from Achilles that says "I will trade wood for sheep" (but in Greek). "Θα ανταλλάξω ξύλα με πρόβατα"
                Greek pervect!

I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

• Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                  I'm thinking about doing a version of the Ajax and Achilles pot, but with a board of hexes, a pawn, a couple of house tokens, and a couple of dice. And a "speech balloon" from Achilles that says "I will trade wood for sheep" (but in Greek). "Θα ανταλλάξω ξύλα με πρόβατα"
                  Wait ... I know that game: Settlers of Crete.

Comment

• Quoth dalesys View Post
                    Greek pervect!
                    I don't remember Aahz ever saying anything about sheep??

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post

Wait ... I know that game: Settlers of Crete.
                    You got it!!

Comment

• Just finished Platinum Pohl, an anthology of Frederik Pohl's short stories. Some classic stuff, even if it is prone to the whole "Dystopian-ish Future written 50 years ago is head-tiltingly on the nose" thing going on. Then again, allegories for racism/sexism/classism/etc. don't exactly spoil with age.

And just picked up Michael Crichton's Pirate Latitudes, for a bit of historical fiction.
                      Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
                      They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

• Quoth Ceir View Post
                        ... Michael Crichton's ...
                        I've read 5-6 Crichton's... not really my oeuvre, but rollicking good yarns...

Wow-somever, every one has had major mal-statements of facts, as if neither he nor anyone in his entourage bothers checking anything.

Two, I think from Congo: (A) A C-130 Hercules is the largest aircraft in the world. (B) A tree with a 25 foot circumference is the largest in the world. Exsqueeze me, but I don't care to have my disbelief suspenders yanked that hard for nonsense trivia having no necessity for the story.
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Working...
                        X