Finally got into Dungeons & Dragons recently. While D&D and other tabletop RPGs have always been a fascination to me (love worldbuilding stuff), for various reasons I never got around to actually playing it. Like a lot of latter day D&D fans, channels like Critical Role and Dimension 20 got me back into D&D specifically. I'd sort of lost interest in D&D because I felt there was too much emphasis on minutiae and such, but D&D 5e proves pretty easy to learn and of course very flexible for setting purposes.

Last year, the roommates and I had a brief attempt at playing before it failed-- folks just weren't available or whatever, as tends to happen-- and we're actually working on trying it again, but I recently discovered a tabletop gaming store opened in a shopping center nearby, and they not only offer tables and such for people to play on, but they have weekly D&D Adventurers League meetups. So I've started attending those. One of the DMs at the store is doing a four-part adventure in preparation for the upcoming Spelljammers release (D&D ... IN SPAAACE), so rolled up a new character (high elf hexblade warlock) and joined six other players. Among whom are a gnome wizard and a kobold artificer named Scurvy.

Session 1 had, among other fun, the wizard abusing Minor Illusion to mess up direction signs in the halls of the academy, and making an annoying dormmate believe their bed broke underneath them when they sat down. During an orientation/training lecture, as the characters are prompted to answer where they see themselves in a year's time, Scurvy answered (aloud, instead of in his head) "With my own ship, as a mighty pirate!" This prompted us to briefly wonder what his pirate sobriquet would be (Scurvy the Scourge? Scurvy the Merciless?), until someone suggested "Scurvy the Deficient." We broke down laughing, and he's used that as his name since.

After the climactic battle of the session-- defending the academy's head, Mirt the Moneylender, from a sabotaged shipment that contained nasty little spider-things-- Mirt finally disentangled himself from his bedsheets and drew his sword, and promptly caused his pants to fall down (because narrative causality/comedy says so), and just as the guards burst in. The wizard goes, "I cast Minor Illusion on Mirt--" (we all cringe) "--and add six inches."

We all broke down laughing again, which only got worse as we all started riffing on Mirt's name. (Mirt the Moneyshot, Mirt the Mirth-- no, wait, Mirt the Girth) The DM had tears in his eyes and declared that we'd all have both Bardic and Heroic Inspiration for the next session.

Session 2 didn't have anything quite as hilarious as the "add six inches" joke, though it did feature a joke as we ran a simulation of our ship investigating a wreck of another to retrieve the captain's log, and someone made a joke about "We've been trying to reach you about your spelljammer's extended warranty." Later on, someone else referred to a Sending Stone as a "rocky talkie," and then when hitting a gith pirate with a balista as a "gith-kebab."

I. Love. Dungeons & Dragons.