Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guys, I cannot stress enough the importance of having an emergency fund.

Open a seperate savings account and lable it as "bad shit" or something similar. I'm a poster on MSN Money forums and a lot of people there recently got laid off. It's terrible. Luckily, a lot of them have decent sized emergency funds so they can afford to be jobless for a little while until a new one is found.
    It's slow going at first but will be worth it in the long run. Just throw in whatever you can afford once a week or, like me, once a month.

Right now I have things pretty darned good. So I'm easily dumping $300 a month into it (I make just over $1000 a month). But I also have roommates, which helps with the bills and mortgage. But then again, I now work in a college town and the hotel I work for is always hiring people simply because we're so busy.

ANYWAYS! Emergency fund! Very important and will be a god send if you ever do loose your job. And don't stop sascking away the cash once you're financially stable either! The best funds are the ones that will get you through A YEAR of being jobless (use to, the best funds were for 3 months, but with the economy the way it is, things have changed). So you should have enough monies to pay ALL the bills plus food, clothing and the occational "OH MY GOD THE CAR BROKE DOWN!"
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

This is an incredibly useful and informative site: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

It is Uk based, but a lot of the information is appropriate anywhere. There may be a US equivalent.
      "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

Pay off your credit card or any other debts you may have with the money you save. The interest can murdelize you. I'm 2 months away from paying off my credit card, and I'll finally be able to save some money!! See if you can get a phone plan with unlimited texting, and text people instead of calling (thats what I do )
        The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
          Knocking money off the mortgage would be good in the long term, but I may have one or two expenses coming up.
          Hehe bringing down the mortgage principal is *always* a good thing I did that the first year I was in my house. Didn't change the monthly payment, but it does cut down your interest for the year. Do that enough times, and you'll actually save money in the long-term.

Also, pay off any balances in full. Fees and penalties can easily cost more than what you owe.

I also agree that you should keep any vehicles in good repair. Proper maintenance is much cheaper than either a new vehicle or a rebuild!
          Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
          X