This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Quit...

I am hereby officially tendering my resignation as an adult.

I have decided I would like to accept the responsibilities of an 8 year-old again.

I want to go to McDonald's and think that it's a four star restaurant.
    I want to sail sticks across a fresh mud puddle and make a pavement with rocks.

I want to think M&Ms are better than money because you can eat them.
    I want to lie under a big oak tree and play doctors and nurses with my friends on a hot summer's day.

I want to return to a time when life was simple;
    When all I knew were colours, multiplication tables, and nursery rhymes, and it didn't bother me, because I didn't know what I didn't know and I didn't care.

All I knew was to be happy because I was blissfully unaware of all the things that should make me worry or upset.

I want to think the world is fair. That everyone is honest and good.
    I want to believe that anything is possible.
    I want to be oblivious to the complexities of life and be overly excited by the little things again.

I want to live simple again. I don't want my day to consist of computer crashes, mountains of paperwork, depressing news, how to survive more days in the month than there is money in the bank, gossip, illness and loss of loved ones.

I want to believe in the power of smiles, hugs, a kind word, truth,
    justice, peace, dreams, the imagination, mankind, and making angels in the snow.

So . . .
    here's my cheque book and my car-keys,
    my credit card bills and my mobile phone.

I am officially resigning from adulthood.

And if you want to discuss this further, you'll have to catch me first, cause...

......"Tag! You're it."

Hope You'll join me!
    Good customers are as rare as Latinum. Treasure them. ~ The 57th Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition.

Hang on, I'm coming with you.
    If I dropped everybody who occasionally said something stupid from my list of potential partners, I wouldn’t even be able to masturbate

Comment

I just want to play with Barbie dolls all day again and be convinced that Ken is the perfect man......
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!!!!

I want to go back to riding horses all summer
        Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

I've always wanted to start a citywide game of tag. I was tempted to do so at college a few times. Try to get it so the entire campus is chasing one another. XD
          "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

I wanna go ride bikes!!

Oh wait, I do that all the time anyway

HorrorFrogPrincess, have you ever heard of Parcour? (might be spelled Parkour). Basically it's running across cityscapes without touching the ground if you can possibly help it. Looks like SO MUCH fun!

Comment

Wait for me guys!!!!! I'm coming too!!!!

Here's my resignation, if you need me I'll be by the big oak tree making mud pies. Oh and Tag you're it!

Comment

Quoth Buglady View Post
                HorrorFrogPrincess, have you ever heard of Parcour? (might be spelled Parkour). Basically it's running across cityscapes without touching the ground if you can possibly help it. Looks like SO MUCH fun!
                Oh, like that The Floor is Lava game where you'd climb on the furniture?
                "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

In primary school, my friends and I created a game where the ground in the playground (the bit covered in peastones, anyway) was lava, and the equipment was ground. We had a certain number of 'turtles (1 step)' and 'alligators (3 steps)' that we could use to cross the bigger areas. One person would challenge another to go from x to y, making sure to hit points a, b, and c along the way, and to cross certain pieces in certain ways (i.e. have to go over the monkey bars, or have to skirt the edge of the tunnel rather than go through it). If you made it without burning up in the lava, then you got to challenge another person, and you received another set of the turtles and alligators - so if you were able to avoid using them, you could build up a nice set for when you *really* needed them.

I'm with Elspeth - riding horses all summer is the greatest thing in the world. So is skiing all winter, and making snow caves in the giant piles of packed snow at the end of the driveway.

Comment

Quoth HorrorFrogPrincess View Post

Oh my, I had forgotten all about that game! Where did the time go?

The best part of the lava game, imho, is when you accidentally touch the lava, you then die most dramatically, with sound effects loud and shrill, and death throes worthy of an Oscar!

Comment

Quoth KiaKat View Post
                      In primary school, my friends and I created a game where the ground in the playground (the bit covered in peastones, anyway) was lava, and the equipment was ground. We had a certain number of 'turtles (1 step)' and 'alligators (3 steps)' that we could use to cross the bigger areas. One person would challenge another to go from x to y, making sure to hit points a, b, and c along the way, and to cross certain pieces in certain ways (i.e. have to go over the monkey bars, or have to skirt the edge of the tunnel rather than go through it). If you made it without burning up in the lava, then you got to challenge another person, and you received another set of the turtles and alligators - so if you were able to avoid using them, you could build up a nice set for when you *really* needed them.
                      We did something similar. I think anywhere there was climbable stuff I'd play the Lava game.

How about the sheer joy of climbing on the biggest decorative boulders you could find? There used to be some HUGE ones outside the place my mom got her hair cut. 2 or 3 that seemed really big when I was a mite. I loved climbing on those things.

Got to relive that a few years ago with my Geology class. We went to see some giant rocks, and everyone climbed all over them. *glee*

Comment

Quoth HorrorFrogPrincess View Post
                        The game my cats are playing right now?

Found a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkour

It's "The Floor is LAVA!" with buildings!

Comment

I'd like to make the counterpoint to the OP. No, not the depressing "not every eight year old's life is so idyllic" point. I am not going to be that depressing. But rather, the few things that make being an adult worth the hassle.

To me there are really only five things that make being an adult cool. The rest I could pitch in a heartbeat. In no particular order, they are:

1. Money. Having money, being able to buy something you like, not relying on the generosity and good mood of others (i.e., parents) for such things. (Yes, I know my income is based on the generosity and good mood of others, to an extent, but it's different.)

2. Travel. Being able to go wherever you want, when you want. Being able to drive. I LOVE driving. I LOVE road trips. I like seeing other places, meeting new people, experiencing new things. As a kid, your universe is, for the most part, rather small, even when you include field trips. Despite the amount my family moved around when I was a kid, I have seen far more of the world as an adult than I ever had, or could have, as a child.

3. Food. I'm sorry, but my appreciation of food now is so much larger than it ever was as a child, and the ability to try new things and flavors and tastes, and find new favorite dishes.....far more joyous to me is this than chowing down at Mickey D's ever was as a child.

4. Sex and relationships. Yes, there are pitfalls and landmines most dangerous in this area. But when something great happens to you in this field, it is so far beyond the ken of the typical 8 year old's mind, and the joy is simply undefinable. I love sex. I love love. I am a romantic. If resigning away my adulthood meant giving this up, I would never sign that resignation letter. Absofreakinglutely NOT!

5. Drugs. Now, in my case, I speak of alcohol. How many of you love your caffeine...er, coffee? And I would be lying if I said I did not enjoy some experimentation with recreational drugs in my time, some of them very, VERY enjoyable. And yes, I like drinking, and to be honest, I often like being drunk.

The rest of it? Sure, pitch it, torch it, kick it to the curb, run it through the shredder, show it to the exit, and how! But those five things tell me that being an adult, at least for me, is so much better than being a kid.

And besides, I still AM a kid, so I feel I have the best of both worlds. Now, if only I could find my Super Soaker.......

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                          Still A Customer."

Comment

Can I get on this boat?

I want to remember the old Better Homes and Gardens magazine that held my collection of paper dolls. It was perfect. Each doll had a page of her own that held her and her cut-out clothes. Big rubber bands held the whole thing together. I'd go down to my friend's house or she's come to mine. We'd spend the afternoon on the Living Room floor and play paper dolls until it was time for one of us to go home for Dinner.

I want to remember cold, rainy weekend days when the weather was too bad to visit friends or have friends visit. On days like that, my favorite toy was the Encyclopedia. I pretended that a volume was a wing or floor in a wonderful Museum. the 'A' volume let me visit Argentina, Aruba and Australia. It taught me about aeronautics, agriculture and astronomy.

I want to remember how wonderful it was to be seven years old and allowed to ride my fat, old Schwinn to school with my book bag the basket in front.

I want to remember how doubly wonderful it was when I could walk to school with my friends in the snow and cold. At that time, bottles of milk were left on front stoops and the bottle tops were made of paper. I know it was wrong of us to do this but, when the weather was very cold the cream on top of the milk would shoot up like a great cream-sicle. We would break off that and lick it all the way to school. Was it theft? It was but we didn't think about that when we were seven years old.

I want to remember visits to the King's Daughters Library. This was a great Romanesque pile at the end of town. It stood on high ground at the literal end of the town. From the adult reading room where old men sat with newspapers or the Junior Library one flight up a wonderful oak staircase, you could look over the widest part of the Hudson River and imagine that you were sitting in a castle overlooking an endless sea.
                            Research is the art of reading what everyone has read and seeing what no one else has seen.

Comment

I handed in my Adult Resignation to my Dad last night (it was....a really bad day, which turned into a hideous night).

And he returned it to me at 1am with this to day:

"******, I didn't know you didn't realize this, but you haven't been a kid-kid since you were 6 years old."

I take care of my Parents, make sure they have enough to eat, pay the bills, own my own car, put their needs in front of my own, listen to them when they're bitching, mediate fights, find their missing stuff, make sure they get to work on time or The Diner. Apparently I've been doing this for years and never realized it.

When did I get older than everybody?!

WHY THE HELL DIDN'T HE TELL ME THAT SOONER?! Like, oh I don't know, TEN YEARS AGO.

We have to work on my Self Esteem tomorrow, of which I have a big whopping zero.
                              Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Working...
                              X