This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth UncleImpy View Post
    I highly recommend these little Accident Kits I got while waiting in line at the local Container Store. Get one, toss it in your glove box, and forget about it until Something Bad Happens.
    My mom got me and my brother each one of those for Christmas. (Could have used a couple weeks before...)
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth UncleImpy View Post
      I highly recommend these little Accident Kits I got while waiting in line at the local Container Store. Get one, toss it in your glove box, and forget about it until Something Bad Happens.

Its a little zip up pouch that has a tiny clipboard, pen and pencil, little forms to fill out for the other driver's information and any information you have about the accident, along with a little envelope you can stuff it all in so you dont lose it. But the best part? It includes a disposable camera so you can IMMEDIATELY take pictures of the scene. That little camera ALONE helped me prove to the other insurance company that their driver was at fault - they were stonewalling me for a week until I got the piccys developed and sent to them. 1 day after they got the pictures? They paid my insurance company for everything. Heh.
      Pen and paper is always good to have but now almost everyone has a camera phone. you can email you picture to the insurance associate as you're talking to them
      I've been in two accidents in 2 years (I'm almost afraid to drive now) and both times my insurance company retrieved the money from the other party and I got my deductible back. The sad thing is I bought my car used and the money that has been spent to repair it is almost double what I paid for it. One more accident and I'll practically have a car with all brand new parts.

Comment

What kills me about that is that I always have my digital camera with me. Always. But that day I left it at home because I saw no sense in taking it to clinicals only to leave it in the truck. Hopefully one of the insurance companies got pictures of this guy's truck, because the way I hit it leaves no doubt as to who was at fault.
        The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

sounds like he actually made an illegel right turn, and even if he wasnt arrest he might still have to pay. but it is fuzzy ground

Comment

Quoth LadyBarbossa View Post
            And did I mention that the driver isn't the owner of this vehicle? He was in a company truck. I hope his boss chews him several new ones, and I don't care if I'm evil for doing so
            Sounds like the guy was a (supposedly) professional driver, which opens a whole new "can of worms". For the general public, there are "at fault" and "not at fault" accidents. For professional drivers (while on the job), there's a tighter standard - "preventable" and "non-preventable", with "preventable" meaning that there was something he could have done to prevent the accident even if he was following the rules of the road. Here's an example:

Vehicle "A" is in the right lane, which ends (has to merge left). Vehicle "B" is in the next lane over (a through lane). Vehicle "A" changes into the next lane, but doesn't wait for a space, and collides with vehicle "B". This is "at fault" for "A" and "not at fault" for "B", but it's a preventable for both drivers - the driver of vehicle "B" could have prevented the collision by yielding the right of way to vehicle "A", even though the rules of the road say that vehicle "A" was supposed to yield the right of way to him.

The other guy in your collision is definitely going to get torn a new one - with a lot of companies, one "preventable" can get you fired.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

OMG great news, guys! My insurance company found the other guy at fault! It may be a while before we ever get the deductible back, if ever, but it's still good to know that someone agrees with me!
              The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Comment

Quoth Shimatta View Post
                Pen and paper is always good to have but now almost everyone has a camera phone. you can email you picture to the insurance associate as you're talking to them
                I've been in two accidents in 2 years (I'm almost afraid to drive now) and both times my insurance company retrieved the money from the other party and I got my deductible back. The sad thing is I bought my car used and the money that has been spent to repair it is almost double what I paid for it. One more accident and I'll practically have a car with all brand new parts.

Sounds like my PT, the only original painted body panels left are the right rear quarter and both rear doors, everything else has been freshened up due to some idiot. For a 9 year old car it looks damn good though

Comment

Working...
                X