This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedding music (suggestions welcome)

I need some music suggestions for my wedding, specifically for the ceremony.

At this stage we've chosen the Canadian Brass baroque album for when people are standing around waiting and a song called Eine Kleine Nichtmusik* for the registry signing. So we need other suggestions for classical music for when we leave the garden where the ceremony is and of course the bridal march. My fiance doesn't want people to think "here comes the bride, big fat and wide" so the "traditional" wedding march is out.

So, suggest away!

Our first dance will be You and Me by Alice Cooper and for the cake cutting we'll play Eat It by Weird Al Yankovic.

*yes, it is A Little Non-Music, not A Little Night Music.

Where are you guys holding the wedding? *plots a way to stalk*

And music-wise, for the march maybe perhaps Hallelujah (the one from Shrek) or what about Pachelbel's Canon In D? Umm....other ones to think of are that joyous one that's played in the Ferrari formalwear ads (forget the name). Bond (the string quartet) are good for that sort of thing-they have some really good versions of classical songs that are still classical, but a bit more "spicy" if you will.

OOoh, oooh, details please!
    Last edited by fireheart; 03-05-2009, 09:09 PM.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

We bucked the system and didn't have the loud club music playing when the wedding party was announced.

We had the theme to Indiana Jones playing.

The rest of it was pretty traditional, but very mixed in traditions.
      Quote Dalesys:
      ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

I had famously beautiful music at my wedding...I have musically gifted cousins, and their gift to us was to play my wedding. People were crying out there while the guests were still being seated, the music was so lovely.

I didn't use traditional music, either, but I did use what I'd guess you'd call "wedding appropriate" music....not that yours isn 't, but you know what I'm saying. Appropriate music is anything you want, it's your party.

Hallelujah is georgeous, but I'd have to listen to the words again to see how appropriate it was. Seems a little too pain-wracked for a wedding. Wedding music should be happy.

I got married almost twenty years ago, and I used Pachelbel before everyone was using it. That was my wedding procession march music. I didn't use the Here comes the bride either. It's not a beautiful piece. Back then, nobody was using it but now, I'd probably veto that piece just becuase it's become as cliche as Here Comes the Bride. When I entered the church with my dad, they switched to Isabeau's Theme from Ladyhawk. Just a georgeous piece of music.

I think I used Vivaldi's Spring as we were exiting. Music that was played before the service itself included some music from Star Trek. One of my musician cousins is a huge Trek fan, and she begged me to use the piece. I am not a Trek fan and had no idea what piece she meant, but she's a pro and I trusted her judgement. The piece was AMAZINGLY beautiful. We also used "As The World Falls Down" from Labrinth and the classic Ava Maria.

For our first dance, my cousins arranged "Buffalo Gals" into a waltz as a suprise. Its A Wonderful LIfe is kind of "our" movie. It made us both cry.

If I had to do it again, I'd try to work "Come By The Hills" in there somewhere. I wasn't as into Irish as I am now, but it would be a georgeous song for a special day.

Comment

It sounds to me like you are using a DJ for this, based on the variety of songs you have already selected.

If this is the case, as a former wedding DJ, I have a suggestion: Ask the DJ or the DJ company for their suggestions. They are, after all, professionals, and they do this sort of thing all the freakin' time.

"Hey Jester! If you used to do this shit all the time, why aren't you making some specific suggestions, you big dummy?"

Because I haven't done this for over ten years......

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Do you have some favorite artists that has an instrumental that happens to be beautiful? We really didn't want the "Here comes the bride" either, looked far and wide for something "fitting" and suddenly remembered: Hey, Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI) have some nice instrumentals. Oooh, Piano Theme! duuuuh.
            Got the pianist to fiddle around with it so it felt more "filling" in the huge room it was going to be played in, and it worked so incredibly well

(If you want to hear the song: http://www.chromakey.com/ -> Audio -> Ghost Book, song three.)

Good luck! The music you have so far sure sounds like you've found your own style
            Customer (on the phone): YOU ARE DUMB! D-U-M-M!
            Me:

Comment

At my wedding, when my mother was walked down the aisle, I had the song, "On Eagle's Wings" playing (it was the version sung by Michael Crawford, so technically I had Michael Crawford sing at my wedding. Yeah, I crack myself up). When Mr. Rum and I were walking down the aisle after the ceremony and we were officially Husband and Wife, we had Wedding Song (There is Love) by Noel Paul Stookey.

Our first dance was to "Lady" by Kenny Rogers.

My dance with my dad was to "Daddy's Little Girl" by Al Martino. I can't remember what the song was when Mr. Rum danced with his Mom.

I went down the aisle with the traditional Bride's March thing.

Comment

Well, for our wedding a few years back the missus chose and did not let me know. She walked down the aisle to the disco version of the Star Wars theme, and we walked out to When I'm Sixty-Four. My suggestion is get creative, you two know each other better than anyone, and don't let traditional be the only choice.

First dance was Wonderful Tonight by Clapton., I got to pick and I'm a softy. :P
                Last edited by PCGameGuy; 03-05-2009, 07:50 PM. Reason: Added first dance song

Comment

Big Sis's 'exit song' was the "L is for the way you look at me, O is for the only one I see". I thought it was cute.

My recessional will be "She's a Brass Band" from Sweet Charity. The theatre geeks will love it, and everyone else will be confused. (No, I'm not getting married at any point in the remote future, but I have thought about the music!)
                  "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                  Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I've always been fond of "May I Have This Dance?" by Scott Krippayne for a First Dance. A nice, gentle, romantic waltz.

Me, I'll probably have a conga-line down the aisle. Or some awesome rock music while the guests stand and cheer like it's a concert. *air GEE-tar*
                    "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

The question is, what kind of music do you like? What songs are your favourites?

Usually, acoustic or straight instrumental versions of most songs can be found.

*grumbles*except Muse*grumbles*

Is the ceremony music canned, or live?

Comment

My cousin (the one I mentioned in previous posts that's very much with child) walked down the aisle to A Whole New World from Aladdin, that's all I can remember >.<

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                          It sounds to me like you are using a DJ for this, based on the variety of songs you have already selected.

If this is the case, as a former wedding DJ, I have a suggestion: Ask the DJ or the DJ company for their suggestions. They are, after all, professionals, and they do this sort of thing all the freakin' time.

At the reception we're having a DJ, but at the cermony it will be a friend with a CD player... I'm going to put the music for each bit on a different CD so it will be easy to not make a mistake. Also there will be a natural pause as the CD is changed.

Comment

Not quite classical, but we played some Sigur Ros in the church before the wedding. Quite calming. I think it was from the "()" album, which the husband and I call "Two Sausages Kissing".

If you want something a little more dynamic, we entered the reception to the opning theme of "Conan the Barbarian". The music in that movie is really quite extraordinary, whatever you may think of the film itself.
                            https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                              Not quite classical, but we played some Sigur Ros in the church before the wedding. Quite calming. I think it was from the "()" album, which the husband and I call "Two Sausages Kissing".

If you want something a little more dynamic, we entered the reception to the opning theme of "Conan the Barbarian". The music in that movie is really quite extraordinary, whatever you may think of the film itself.
                              @ the "Two Sausages Kissing" comment. I was reminded briefly of IPF's "kissing 'mushrooms'" post.

Another song to think of would be "Honor Him" or "Now We Are Free" from Gladiator.

Comment

Working...
                              X