Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't put me in charge of government! (Civ 4 game rant)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't put me in charge of government! (Civ 4 game rant)

Last x-mas my brother got me Civ4: Beyond the Sword. I've been doing my best not to let it consume time from school. Really

I didn't fully understand the game's new espionage system. I understood well enough that training spies and keeping them in your cities helps stop enemy spies. Courthouses also generate espionage points and are usually one of the first projects my new cities built. But beyond that I didn't allocate a budget towards espionage. Hell I hardly even looked at the espionage management screen.

Anyway my game is now in the reniassance age. Most of the world has been settled by now, and I've made some enemies by now. My empire was getting hit by increasingly frequent espionage attempts. Thanks to the spies I had already trained, enemy spies were being thwarted. But I couldn't tell which empire had sent them. I took no action.

Eventually, one of the enemy spies succeeded in poisoning the water supply for one of my southern border cities. Again, no idea who was responsible. The city got a huge health penalty. I took immediate action and had them build an aqueduct. That stopped the city from starvation, but again I ignored the espionage problem.

A few turns later, more unsuccessful-yet anonymous espionage attempts. Then my capital city, the heart of the empire got hit. Another poisoned water supply, with no idea who was responsible. Finally I got up off my ass and allocated an espionage budget. Finally I looked at the espionage management screen and figured out how to direct my efforts towards the empires who didn't like me. Finally I started training more spies with the intent of sending them into enemy territory to conduct counter-espionage.

And lo and behold, on the next unsuccessful spying attempt I got a return address: the Roman empire.

That was when I came to a vaguely depressing realization: I acted like a typical short-sighted do-nothing-but-cover-my-own-ass bureaucrat. I hear about a vulnerable situation, I do nothing. Situation becomes an issue in far-away outpost, I take minimal action. No centralized action. I can almost hear myself say "Bah, it's not my problem. Let the locals handle it." Then my capital, my backyard gets hit, and suddenly it becomes a problem worthy of national attention.

So the moral of the story is: don't put me in charge of the government! On the other hand if I were, I suppose I'd fit right in
    Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

If you're a civ addict:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/index.php

Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Quoth Talon View Post
      That was when I came to a vaguely depressing realization: I acted like a typical short-sighted do-nothing-but-cover-my-own-ass bureaucrat. I hear about a vulnerable situation, I do nothing. Situation becomes an issue in far-away outpost, I take minimal action. No centralized action. I can almost hear myself say "Bah, it's not my problem. Let the locals handle it." Then my capital, my backyard gets hit, and suddenly it becomes a problem worthy of national attention.

So the moral of the story is: don't put me in charge of the government! On the other hand if I were, I suppose I'd fit right in
      I haven't played Civ 4 (or any of it's counterparts lately) but I have played quite a few in the past. One that I particularly liked was Alpha Centauri (also a Sid Meier game.) That is how I learned I wouldn't be a good ruler. My society always ended up being a Knowledge seeking (education good! ), Green (recycling good! ), Police State (learn and recycle or die! Whoops?)

I keep hearing that educated tree-hugging liberals are soft on crime. Not if I was in charge!

Comment

Heh. I usually go for peaceful reasearch & ecomomy myself--while using the fruits of my research to patrol my borders.

I am usually completely peaceful untill another civ tries to invade. Then I take my superior tech and crush them, enacting a minimum one city cost for peace. I have had games where I slowly gobble the other civs until they are left with just their capitol. Then I went to space.

Best moment: I get invaded by a dozen units of knights and trebuchets, which cross the border hills and run right into my General Sherman leading an army of tanks.
        The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
        "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
        Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

I'm a nice peaceful ruler following the Theodore Roosevelt model. (walk softly and carry a big stick)

I also run with the concept that you only get one chance to make a mistake. Piss me off and I will take EVERYTHING from you. If you're lucky, I leave smoldering remains.
          I AM the evil bastard!
          A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Heh. I'm horrible at these games. Any strategy game, I just run up the tech tree as quickly as possible. And I don't make any defense sometimes, either. Granted, once I've topped the tech tree, I turn it all over to military production, and just start cranking it out. Usually just in time to get my butt kicked by those who built up huge armies along the way.
            Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I never survive. I try to take an aggressive stance, I get out aggressived. I try to be a nice economy driven/peace loving government with nothing but love for all of God's creations....and I get stomped flatter than Paris Hilton.
              I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

I haven't played any of the Civilization games other than Civilization 2, but I always run things peacefully.... until you come after me. Then I squish you.

I always found it amusing how the civs left with one, possibly two cities, and a handful of units, were swearing to crush my so-called puny civ. I have maybe 20 cities (or more, thanks to yours!), several units worth of my armies outside your remaining cities, and YOU are going to crush ME?

Also, I always loved the scenario-building tools, especially after they did the Civilization 2 Gold Edition package that had all the extras in it. Good stuff.
                Last edited by RootedPhoenix; 03-07-2009, 06:30 PM. Reason: I can spell!...really!
                1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
                -----
                http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Quoth Gerrinson View Post
                  One that I particularly liked was Alpha Centauri (also a Sid Meier game.) That is how I learned I wouldn't be a good ruler. My society always ended up being a Knowledge seeking (education good! ), Green (recycling good! ), Police State (learn and recycle or die! Whoops?)

I keep hearing that educated tree-hugging liberals are soft on crime. Not if I was in charge!
                  LOL

Somehow I have a hard time picturing a dystopian society that demands of its citizens "Loyal citizens must dance naked in the trees"

SMAC was awesome, though I had a hard time understanding why the game had you go from the Apollo moon landings to colonization beyond the solar system. What happened to colonizing Mars, or the moons of Jupiter? Seems like they missed a step.

Quoth Geek King View Post
                  Heh. I usually go for peaceful reasearch & ecomomy myself--while using the fruits of my research to patrol my borders.

I am usually completely peaceful untill another civ tries to invade. Then I take my superior tech and crush them, enacting a minimum one city cost for peace. I have had games where I slowly gobble the other civs until they are left with just their capitol. Then I went to space.

Best moment: I get invaded by a dozen units of knights and trebuchets, which cross the border hills and run right into my General Sherman leading an army of tanks.
                  I use the same Pax Romana style.

But I've generally observed in Civ4, the computer's pretty good at keeping up in the military tech race, even if they suck at everything else. The biggest divide I've ever faced is knights & trebuchets vs riflemen.
                  Happiness is the exercise of vital powers along lines of excellence in a life affording you scope.

Comment

I liked AC' I remember helping the tree-hugger (forget her name) vs. Chairman Shen-ji Yang in a war. He would attack with his jets which would get promptly shot down by my anti-air artillery units. He would attack by ground and be smashed by my tank-busting jets.

The worst game I played was a Civ4 mod when I deluded myself into thinking that I was the leader technologically. I ignored Nubia smashing Australia on a neighboring continent, then had to quit when Nubias jets started to smash my monoplanes.
                    Testing
                    "I saw a flock of moosen! There were many of 'em. Many much moosen. Out in the woods- in the woodes- in the woodsen. The meese want the food. The food is to eatenesen."

Comment

I do pretty good at this game. I get up the tech tree pretty quickly build alot of cities, get things done, etc. For me the suck point is war.

It always starts off well, but then eventually evolves into lobbing units at the enemy that just won't die, and pretty much every city ends up mass producing units to toss at the enemy.

I know cheats are the eh thing, but anyone try using them to create see what happens games? I've tried cheats to get to have all the tech, build one city to max, max out the gold, population, etc. Then declare war one everyone and everything, and not use anymore cheats. Scary thing is I've only won once. Somehow the low tech guys can kill a tank. It takes like 10 units or so, but they can
                      "It takes people like you, to make people like me" Another Night In London - Devildriver

Comment

As far as Alpha Centauri goes, I tend to play either the Gaians (since they can convert Mind Worms to their own use) or the University (tech advances FTW). I make a few alliances early in the game, then if someone tries to stab me in the back I take my war machine to them, smashing city after city until they surrender. Most of the time, I'm able to amass enough votes to get elected governor, then Supreme Leader to win.

I think my favorite units in AC are the copters, and then the gravships after that. Copters since they can make many, many attacks per round. Arm them with shard or psi and they become almost unstoppable...
                        Dealer hits... 21. Table loses.

This happens more often than most people want to believe.

Comment

Working...
                        X