Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

God doesn't like that I know what I want out of life.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• God doesn't like that I know what I want out of life.

Okay, I'm going to preface this by saying that I have absolutely NO problem with religion. I don't practice anything myself, nor do I feel that if there is a God, he is all that important in my life. Just my beliefs. I also have no problem who hold their religions sacred, but please don't impose them on me. I don't appreciate it.

This experience though, it left me flat out "WTF"ing. This man was well meaning, sure, but the way his attitude sharply changed just really sent me spinning.

Yesterday I stopped by the cafeteria of my school to grab lunch before going to class. I'm friendly with the woman who swipes cards at the entrance, and on my way out she showed me a picture of her newly born granddaughter. The baby? SO freaking cute. I wished her congratulations and asked after the mother. She was jokingly telling me about how she was pretty sure her daughter never wanted to go through the birthing process again. I laughed and told her that my family could save all the child-having for my brother, who's getting married in August.

I'm 20 years old and can honestly say that children are not in my life plan. If my biological clock tells me otherwise, fine, but until that happens, I just don't want kids. I don't really see this as an issue. I was telling her such and also saying that my partner always jokes about he'd mess our kids up, so in reality I'm saving them a whole mess of trouble . I then told her that even though my brother is getting married, I don't really think it's for me.

As we're talking this much older gentleman comes up and starts just looking at me. His staring was making me uncomfortable. Once I said that I wasn't sure about getting married, he interjects himself into our conversation. He told me that if that was the case I needed to come see him, since he was a Family and Marriage Counsellor, all the while touching my shoulder. The shoulder thing kind of freaked me out, but I let it go, laughing it off and telling him that I'm only 20 and I don't want to think about marriage. He insists that of course I don't, that it shouldn't be until I was older. I then started talking about how I just wanted to think about graduating and moving in with my partner first.

Abruptly, he continues staring. The friend/employee, sensing my massive discomfort, shrugs it off and says that it's good that I know what I want out of life. He continues to stare. I tell him that it's okay, I know I want to live with him since we've been together 5ish years and that I've practically been living with him when I'm not in school anyway for the past 2. I just don't know if marriage is right for me.

At this point he starts to back away, looking at me like I've said something insanely wrong. Then he makes the sign of the cross over his body several times as he walks away, all the while still staring at me . Friendployee is no longer laughing, but is just standing there uncomfortably. I, naturally, am freaked the fuck out. He wasn't joking, he was dead serious as he started making the cross at me. It was clear the reason he was doing it was because I wanted to live with a man out of wedlock.

My partner and I are in a tightly committed relationship. We take all the precautions in the world to keep ourselves safe and make sure there aren't any unexpected pregnancies. I see myself spending the rest of my life with him. It just really bothered me to see him look so horrified, like I was the devil. Clearly it's not enough. I need a ring on my finger for everything to be legit.
    It's like the people in Vegas who have sex in video-monitored elevators.. -MoxisPilot
    The elevators are monitored?!!! OH CRAP!!! -Sheldonrs

That old dude was way out of line, it's all good to have your own opinions and all, but he could've kept that to himself or at the least been more tactful about his actions.
    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Soon as he interjected with his attitude, you should have cooly explained that this was a private conversation, and none of his business.
      "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Screw him.

Im sorry he acted like a prick to you. You know what you want, and you'll get it..whether youre married, have a child out of wedlock or have 12 fingers and toes and like to paint them bright pink. Your business is none of his.

Comment

Quoth HorrorFrogPrincess View Post
          Soon as he interjected with his attitude, you should have cooly explained that this was a private conversation, and none of his business.
          I was gonna say the same thing. And anyways, why does it bother you? The guy is nothing to you, just some possibly unbalanced and nosy stranger.

Comment

It definitely sounds like he's not a licensed counselor, but probably associated with a local church. Thankfully, he approached you in a busy location, and let's hope you scared him off permanently.
            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
            HR believes the first person in the door
            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
            Document everything
            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth sixums View Post
              Abruptly, he continues staring.

But seriously, way out of line. As soon as he started paying any attention I'd have stepped back and assumed the staff person I was talking to would say something like "Can I help you sir?", and left it to her. If he'd said anything about the conversation it would have definitely been "I'm sorry, this is a private conversation" and then just stand and stare at him till he leaves.

If you get whackos like that involving themselves in your conversations, don't stand for it. Don't let them feel that's okay. Speak up right away and get rid of the weirdo.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
                And anyways, why does it bother you? The guy is nothing to you, just some possibly unbalanced and nosy stranger.
                That I'm not entirely sure about, actually. I've seen and been the target of such a thing before, but usually I get ranted at about my choices. Not only was he being incredibly sketchy overall - what with the touching and the staring - but it's not like he said I was going to hell or anything. He just made the sign of the cross and walked away. I don't know, it just seemed sort of surreal and hit a button I apparently didn't know I had.
                It's like the people in Vegas who have sex in video-monitored elevators.. -MoxisPilot
                The elevators are monitored?!!! OH CRAP!!! -Sheldonrs

Comment

I think I would have purposely said outlandish made-up shit ("Later on we're going to the Satanfest and sacrifice a couple of goats!") just to mess with that guy's head once I noticed him staring... But that's just 'cause I'm snarky like that.
                  ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

If this sort of thing happens again, stop the conversation and tell him it's private.

By turning to the guy and freely telling him about your life choices you were unintentionally inviting him to comment on them.

Never feel like you have to justify yourself to strangers and never offer them information you don't want them commenting on.

These phrases will serve you well with the nosy and the pushy:

"No, thank you."

"Thank you, but I'm not interested. Have nice day!"

"I'm sorry, but I'm not going to discuss [religion/politics/whatever] with someone I just met."

"I'm sorry. Have we met?"

"Thank you for your opinion."

I hope that helps.
                    The best karma is letting a jerk bash himself senseless on the wall of your polite indifference.

The stupid is strong with this one.

Comment

I like "I'm sorry, have we met?"

It gives that distinct impression that personal conversations like that are kept for people who you know, not total strangers. It reminds him not only that you don't welcome his presence, but WHY you don't welcome it.

Nice one.

Comment

Working...
                      X