Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunately, when it comes to funerals, I've got some experience.

Just dress nicely- like business casual. Nothing too fancy, but not your jeans and a t-shirt either.

Most people wear black or dark colors. Guys black/navy jackets, women black dress/dress clothes.

As for the casket, I don't remember the casket being left open during the funeral- that's what they usually do at the viewing. And if it is open, you don't have to go up to the casket if you don't want. I know it sounds scary to think of looking upon a dead person, but the morticians do a good job of making it look like the person is simply sleeping. To me anyway, it's not as scary as it sounds.

For me, the viewing/funeral lends a sort of closure. It lets your brain know for certain what your heart doesn't want to really believe. And then you can really start the healing process.

You have my sympathies. I feel emotional just talking about this.
    I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Wear something comfortable - don't feel like you have to wear a dress (or black) if you don't want to. For my grandmother's funeral, I wore gray pants and a pink sweater. Pink was her favorite color, and it was January. I wasn't wearing a skirt or dress in January. (Good thing, too, it was particularly cold and windy that day).

Mourn, grieve, enjoy the company of your family - whatever you need to do to get through it. I'm very sorry for your loss, Lupo - many positive thoughts to you and your family.
      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

When's the flight Lupo? I'll drive you to the airport.

Last funeral RW and I went to, he read a book through the whole thing. (It's how he deals with stuff.)

Wore the classic blank ensamble (you've seen my clothes, even mourning, I'm a classy bitch) and had an okay time with distant relatives (never met them before in my life).

I just spent an hour searching for some way I can be more helpful to you. There doesn't seem to be a service or anything that will allow me to order a hot meal or two for your Grandmother and immediate family. Damn. Well, nothing that isn't a full blown catering outfit.
        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
          I just spent an hour searching for some way I can be more helpful to you. There doesn't seem to be a service or anything that will allow me to order a hot meal or two for your Grandmother and immediate family. Damn. Well, nothing that isn't a full blown catering outfit.
          you've already gone above and beyond helpful as it is. I know, everyone feels helpless in this kind of situation, because, as I told my mom earlier, it's something that cookies just can't fix. (I was trying to think of something for my grandma, too. I'm worried about her. 54 years with my grandpa, and now he's gone.)

Check your yahoo, I answered you. and now I'm going to go fall into bed, try and get soem sleep. Have to be at work tomorrow.

Comment

Sorry, ..im just getting around to reading this now.

I hope you're feeling better, good luck with the funeral. I'll say a prayer for you and your family.

Comment

My grandfather died recently, so I know what it's like. It's good that you'll get to go to the funeral; I couldn't. Best of luck.

Comment

Working...
              X