Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How To Leave A Legacy: Anyone From Edmonton?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To Leave A Legacy: Anyone From Edmonton?

So the 'Hubs and I are watching a show last night on Ovation about the auction of this eccentric, disgustingly rich fellow's estate. Before we can get to the interesting business of how much people will pay for "art" that looks like something I made in tenth grade shop class, everyone has to share anecdotes about the man himself. One woman recounts how he liked to have strange things built at the edges of his vast property in the woods, so that people would just stumble upon them, like this gypsy wagon.

"Oh, man," I say, "if I had the money and the talent, I would so do that when I retired. Just, you know, travel around and stop in random, out-of-the-way places to build weird little statues or strange little garish houses so that people stumble across them and marvel years later and wonder who built them and why. It would just be like leaving a little bit of mystery for someone's life."

"That sounds like a lot of work." 'Hubs muses. "Why don't you just do what that guy in Edmonton did?"

"What who did where and when?"

"Remember, the first time I came to visit you? We were walking down the street and we saw someone had stenciled a tiny Geordi La Forge way down at the bottom of this building? And we thought that was weird, but then we kept noticing them wherever we went? And we asked the guy at the bookstore we went into, and he was just like, 'Oh yeah, that's just some guy. Those are everywhere. We don't know why, but it's kind of cool'."

This was about four years ago, and I had COMPLETELY forgotten about it even though at the time I was absolutely fascinated. Is there anyone from Edmonton that can confirm this for me? I remember seeing one on the side of a bus shelter, and others on White Ave, specifically near Daddy-O's. It might not be going on anymore, which I think is a shame because people need little mysteries like that to make life interesting.

I'm thinking I need to find a Spock stencil or something and carry on the legacy.
    Personally, I find cleavage very helpful. In a crime-fighting sense.

Can't say that I have seen those around, but If they're around Whyte, then that would explain it as I avoid that area. The only time I was there was when I was upgrading the scotia bank there and was too tired to hunt for them.
    I AM the evil bastard!
    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I have a friend who is an artist. She and her husband used to do a lot of "mini installation" public art. They lived in the Downtown East Side of Vancouver (it was scary when I phoned her, I'd her sirens and sometimes even shots in the background!) so she would do a lot of pieces that involved natural objects - driftwood, beach stones, a bird's nest, painted pine cones - placed in this unremittingly horrible urban environment. She'd then go back and photograph the pieces day by day until they disappeared. People would add to them, sometimes, and one homeless guy was absolutely enchanted by the bird nest and waited for hours for my friend to come back so he could ask her if he could have it.

Public art - the guerilla kind, not the vast civic kind, statues in parks etc - is really neat. It becomes a community effort as people turn to each other to try to make sense of the art. Sometimes other artists respond, and nobody knows who they are! So cool.

Now I want to go leave a bird's nest somewhere

Comment

Never seen them, but depending on how long ago this was, there's a good chance they're gone, as Whyte paints and scrubs relatively often, to keep itself at the rep level it's at, rather than going further downhill.
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Aw, man. It was just so random. I was hoping it was still happening. Even when I lived in Canada, I didn't live in Edmonton -- it was just the nearest big town, so it made sense for us to go there so we'd have something to do. It's just this magical, crazy place. I love it.

It's like, what was going through this guy's head? Does he love Star Trek? Or just Burton? Hey man, it's cool, I think Reading Rainbow is awesome too!

Comment

Tear down a wall to the studs of any house that I worked in, any house at all, and you will find on the studs pictures of Chibi-Mel saying "Hi! I was here!"

I left my imprint on every house I lived in, too.
            Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth Cookiesaur View Post
              This was about four years ago, and I had COMPLETELY forgotten about it even though at the time I was absolutely fascinated. Is there anyone from Edmonton that can confirm this for me? I remember seeing one on the side of a bus shelter, and others on White Ave, specifically near Daddy-O's. It might not be going on anymore, which I think is a shame because people need little mysteries like that to make life interesting.
              I don't remember seeing any Geordi's around Whyte Ave, but there is the "Listen" graffiti and the little bird that goes with it all over Whyte Ave. That one loses coolness points just because:

1) They're everywhere!
              2) They're advertising for Blackbyrd Muzic on Whyte

On a completely unrelated note, it's been ages since I've eaten at Da-De-O's. I could put a world of hurt on a Po'boy and some sweet potato fries. *drool*
              I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

It was IMPOSSIBLE to get in that place almost every time I was there -- they had so little seating and it was always packed to the gills. The Po Boy is the only thing there I ever ate. I will let you have my fries, for they are nasty, if I can have your biscuit with green pepper jelly.

Comment

I will let you have my fries, for they are nasty...
                  Thanks for the fries, but...nasty?!? Lies! Horrible, horrible lies! They are fantastic--especially with that seasoning they use and the herb mayo on the side.

...if I can have your biscuit with green pepper jelly.
                  No.
                  I pray for the strength to change what I can, the inability to change what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference -Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

Being a pessimist and cynical wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't right so often!

Comment

Blah, sweet potatoes.

I still can't get my head around the notion that it's considered a dessert down here. Why would you put marshmallows and brown sugar on something like that?

Comment

I loves my copernic search program - here's what I could find on your La Forge art...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/striatic/149754451/in/set-72157600001975476/

And it is from Edmonton. I belive it is an individual under the name of Striatic. Can't keep more information than this.

Cheers
                      No... Just No! And I mean it this time!

Comment

How did we get here from there?

Way Way OT
                        Blah, sweet potatoes.

I still can't get my head around the notion that it's considered a dessert down here. Why would you put marshmallows and brown sugar on something like that?
                        well are you talking candied Yams? Then I agree, I like mine nekkid.
                        Or do you mean Sweet Potato Pies? MMM with just a small spoon of whipped real (from the cow, OK Mom I'll whip it myself) cream.
                        Meeeeoooow.....
                        Still missing you, Plaid

Comment

Quoth ParkingWitch View Post
                          Way Way OT

well are you talking candied Yams?
                          Or do you mean Sweet Potato Pies?
                          Doesn't matter. Either way, they're not dessert. They're a potato substitute.
                          Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                            Doesn't matter. Either way, they're not dessert. They're a potato substitute.
                            Agreed nothing goes with steak quite like a baked sweet potatoe.
                            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
                            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
                            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Working...
                            X