This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLS-Free shampoo?

So, I've decided to switch to stuff without sodium laureth sulfate - and the first thing I ran out of and replaced was shampoo. I went with Burt's Bees Pomegranate. But, when I wash my hair with it, it's just....weird. My hair gets all icky feeling and tangled up, and I end up loosing some hair trying to get it all undone, then putting on TONS of conditioner to get my hair back to it's normal state.

Did anyone else have problems when/if you've switched? Does my hair just need to get used to it? My hair is highlighted, could that be a problem? (I'm running out of body wash, anyone have any suggestions for SLS-free sudsies?)
    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Why the switch? I don't know anything about the SLS. Is it bad?

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post
      Why the switch? I don't know anything about the SLS. Is it bad?
      Apparently? It's a chemical soap-like thing that's in most shampoos, soaps, body washes, etc. I've heard it can be rough on skin, hair, etc. So, I thought I'd try some stuff without it, to see if anything improved. It isn't.

Comment

Oh, that bollocks.

Okies, folks, fact time.

SLES is also known as Sodium Laurel Ether Sulphate (f instead of ph for transatlantic folks). It's a rather good cleansing agent. A MLM company selling its own brand of shampoo tried to make out that there had been research by a chap at a university that doesn't exist (there's one by a similar name - they got that wrong) to say that SLS was carcinogenic, and that it caused cataracts in young children.

It turned into the most successful Internet hoax ever.

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/shampoo.asp for more information.

The truth is that it's an irritant, but so are essential oils. At the levels in shampoo - maximum 15% if I remember right - it's safe as long as it's rinsed off in reasonable time. If you bathe your head in it and leave it on overnight, sure it would irritate your skin, but it's not a problem in the normal time scale of shampooing hair.

Sorry if I sound irate about this - I deal with panicking people every time I'm in Customer Information at my place.

Rapscallion

Comment

Whenever I have to switch Shampoos (every three months, or when the bottle runs out, which ever comes first), I wash this mass of spider-silk that's on my head with PEARS soap. It's a hypoallergenic transparent soap that comes out of the UK for something like 5$ a bar (OR you can get it from Dollar Tree for a buck).

Ingredients: Sodium Palmitate, Natrual Rosin, Glycerin, Water, Sodium Cocoate, Rosemary Extract, Thyme Extract, Pears Fragrance Essence.

As to why I have to keep switching shampoos? Well, I have super fine spider-silk like hair. And it hates my ever-loving mongrel GUTS. It hates all conditioners except for, apparently, the stuff in the purple bottles with the Kangaroo (Aussie).

For regular soap I just use Pears.
          Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth Rapscallion View Post
            I deal with panicking people every time I'm in Customer Information at my place.

Rapscallion
            Look out for the Di-Hydrogen Monoxide too.

My daughter pulled that as a research assignment on her students, and most of them didn't catch on that it was a hoax. 8th grade catbutts!
            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I stand corrected, and tomorrow I'm going to the store to pick up some different shampoo. Thanks, Raps!

Comment

AdminAssistant, for good hair-related info and advice, I highly recommend the forums at www.longhairloom.com

The ladies there are very up-to-date with info and always happy to chat about hair!
                "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

I suppose a better way to phrase it is that citric acid will quite easily dissolve a human body in short order in its pure form, yet many of us drink it in orange juice. Lemon juice is 8% citric acid, and as such is an excellent addition to washing up liquid for cleaning your stove top (bit of hot water as well - try it!). It's a question of dilution.

If you do move away from SLES bodycare, do it for the right reasons. You might have an intolerance, in which case look for something without it.

http://paulaschoice.com.au/learn/art...FER=SKIN&ID=50 for more details on the hoax.

Rapscallion

Comment

I got told that I should be using SLS-free shampoo at the minimum as it was causing scalp irritations. No recommendation on using SLS-free bodywash/shower gel. While the initial stuff I found was somewhat expensive ($8 a bottle for shampoo and conditioner), I eventually found some SLS-free products...don't know if they export them or not, it's called Organic Nature or something similar. There's also a product called Selsun that may help.
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

SLS is a detergent. Which means it strips oils from skin and hair. For some people, this might not cause problems, or even be good, but for someone like me, with moderate eczema, it's a huge hazard. Especially in winter.

The products I use are Avalon Organics and Pre de Provence. One of the issues with Burt's Bees is that they tend to use beeswax as a base in their products, so it can cause some weird build ups on hair and skin.

It *is* an irritant. Most people just happen to have skin that can tolerate it.

Another thing to avoid is paraffin wax. Strips oils as well.

Also, turn down your water temp, take shorter showers, don't take baths unless you are doing an oatmeal bath (*great* for the skin), and pat dry rather than rub dry when getting out. All of that will help the natural moisturizing oils on the skin remain intact.

Comment

I actually don't have any hair issues...I thought going SLS free might make my hair look healthier, shinier, whatevs. I do, however, get weird breakouts on my arm. Like acne, but on my arms. So..I may still try sls-free body wash.

I can't take shorter showers....I loooooove my long hot weekend showers.

Comment

I have multi chemical sensitivity and I cannot use most commercial shampoos or many of the organics like Avalon or Burts Bees. I use a shampoo from Italy made of Sicilian Blood Oranges and Olive Oil. It's pricey, the Italians seem to be on their own schedule when it comes to actually boxing and mailing my order but it is worth every penny.
                          "No, I will not poop a shopping cart out for you." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

*sigh*

I think I might be getting to that point. Either the MCS is getting worse, or I'm allergic to one of the herbs in Avalon, because lately I've been having reactions every time I wash my hair. Next step is to compare the ingredients between Avalon and Pre de Provence and see which it might be.

My coworker is also a fashion & beauty editor for a magazine, so I'm going to ask her if she has any ideas for what to try next.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                              As to why I have to keep switching shampoos? Well, I have super fine spider-silk like hair. And it hates my ever-loving mongrel GUTS. It hates all conditioners except for, apparently, the stuff in the purple bottles with the Kangaroo (Aussie).
                              Would baby shampoo / conditioner work on your hair? I've known fine-haired adults who use it.
                              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                              My LiveJournal
                              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                              X