This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karmic Driving

So, I was on my way over to a friend's last night. I'm doing the speed limit pretty closely. I think that every so often, I got as high as speed limit +4. I also drive a pickup truck, so I have a pretty simple barometer for telling that someone is too close: If I can't see your headlights in my rearview mirror, you're too close.

Lo and behold, someone is behind me, and I can't see their headlights. I can see the glow from them, but no trace of the headlights themselves. This sort of behaviour cheeses me off to no end. Still, what can I do?

We come to spot where I can let him pass. I do so, and he does pass. The lanes come back together, so I'm a bit behind him, and pretty quickly, too. That's when I see the cop car parked on the side of the road with no lights on. I do a double-check of my speed, and I'm only at speed limit +3. All is good in the world.

Cruising along a bit further, I see the red and blue flashing behind me. WTH did I do? I pull over. Lights go off, he passes me, and gets up behind the guy who was oh so impatient with me for doing the speed limit. Lights go on again.

Commence laughing and enjoying watching someone get pulled over who definitely deserved it

It's a joy for sure.

Back in June of '97 had almost the same thing happen. (Only reason I remember the time frame is that I was scanning through the AM radio bands and it was just after Timothy McVeigh was convicted.)

I was on an overnight drive from Nashville, TN to Toronto, ON and coming into Louisville, KY had someone who insisted on tailgating. Same effect as you had, but I was driving a 2-door Buick and still could not see the headlights. I'm in the right lane as my first rule of driving at 2am is "The other set of headlights on the road IS a cop."

So it's slow down, slow down, and finally he passes and disappears into the distance.

Well, I found the cop - right behind him about 15 minutes later on the side of the road.

B
    <resume previous cruising speed>
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
    I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Working...
    X