This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth draftermatt View Post
    I've never understood why some people who's name is John prefer to go by "Jack"

Of course a lady here at work swears "Jack" is only supposed to be short for John.
    I have a friend named Jack who, when meeting other Jacks, asks them if they are "Jack for John" or "Jack for Jack." He, of course, is "Jack for Jack." In other words, his given name IS Jack...it is not a nickname for another name. Needless to say, he looks down on Jacks who are Johns, just as I look down on people named [Jester's first name] who spell it the wrong way [i.e., common spellings of it other than the way it is spelled in Jester's first name].

And no, he is not the only Jack I have met who is actually named Jack. Though that is, to be honest, not all that common. (I can think of three I know, though.)

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Comment

one of my friends here in town is named Doug....but we all call him Wuggy/wuggs.

He has a story on how it came about but I've completely forgotten.
      It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
        I have a friend named Jack who, when meeting other Jacks, asks them if they are "Jack for John" or "Jack for Jack." He, of course, is "Jack for Jack." In other words, his given name IS Jack...it is not a nickname for another name...
        My boss is a Jack for Jack and it drives that lady in my office crazy, which is why I brought it up actually.

Oddly enough professionally he goes by Jack, but if he calls his mother or any friends from work he calls himself "Jay". Which his son Jack Jr. goes by to avoid confusion with his father (professionally).

I have a hard time keeping up with it too.

Going back to the Bud conversation, I had an uncle Bud, who I later found out was actually named Roger. I guess it's just a nickname similar to Butch (though I've met two people named Butch before), people just acquire it and go by it.

Here's another one. Robert, but people named Robert go by Bob, Bobby, etc. There's no "Bobert" My friend growing up is a Robert, he went by Bobby or Bo. His dad, also Robert went by Bob or Bobo.

My best friend is Robert, and he goes by Rob.
        Last edited by draftermatt; 03-14-2009, 03:55 AM.

Comment

Aside from the family members mentioned above, I forgot to mention my Uncle Jake.

His first and middle names?

John Francis.

:snicker:
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Let's not forget Bucky, one of whom I know. And no, his given name is in no way similar to the name "Bucky."

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
            X