This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appliances advice (longish)

OK I bet most of you CSers here have appliances in your home, and eventually you're going to need to get them fixed. Especially this spring and summer, since that seems to be the time that the local appliance repair services get slammed for business. So I thought I could offer some of my expertise and advice to those of you who are thinking of hiring an appliance repair service to come check things out.

Not every problem automatically means the appliance is broken. If your dryer isn't getting the clothes dry anymore, try taking a vacuum to it. Seriously. vacuum out those lint trap areas, and if you're feeling brave, unhook the vent hose and vacuum around there too. (this process is generally a good thing to do every 6 months anyhow, to help prevent dryer fires, especially in gas dryers)
    If your gas stove or cooktop clicks as it's starting up, it could be as simple as water getting in it when you've cleaned it.
    If your garbage disposal won't work, doesn't even hum when you flick it on, look for a red reset button on the unit, and press it. It could be that simple!
    No one wants to pay a trip charge/service fee for a repair man to come out, look at your dryer, and tell you to vacuum it, or press a button on your disposal and it works.

If it turns out your appliance probably DOES need a technician, here's some stuff to keep in mind. When setting the appointment, you should feel free to ask how much the service fee/trip charges are. If you're military or a senior, mention it. Some companies have a standing discount. If you're a teacher, doctor, police officer, and as such have hours that you canNOT take off of work, mention it. The company ought to be more flexible regarding hours. If they're not, try and shop around for one who is.
    When the tech's in your home, ask questions about what's wrong with your appliance and how they intend to fix it. If they can't explain what they're doing or tell you what they're doing, you're probably going to want to request a different technician or possibly even use a different company next time. Also, if you feel that your tech is just coming up with more expensive fixes to get more money out of you, feel free to call another company (or PM me if you'd like) and ask them if they're willing to advise you over the phone if your chosen company is being reasonable.
    So, here's to wishing everyone a safe, scam-free appliance repair peak season!
    "If looks could really kill, my occupation would be staring" Brand New - I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light
Working...
X