This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does this cat hate me?

I'm pet-sitting for one dog and two cats. One of the cats is diabetic; that's no big deal as I've given injections to cats before. He doesn't like it, but tolerates getting poked and I've done so before without incident.

I went over there tonight to feed them and give the insulin; the cat saw me approaching with the needle, tried to bite me and ran into hiding. I waited him out for about 45 minutes before I had to feed and walk the dog (the dog owner is also having me house-sit for her, the cats' mom--who the dog owner takes care of-- doesn't like having other people staying in her place).

I notified the dog's owner that the cat tried to attack me and bolted, so she knows he didn't get his insulin tonight (I plan to go back over there earlier than usual tomorrow and hopefully he'll behave). If he doesn't, I'm not sure what we can do other than see if the vet can board the cat--they have refused to board him before on basis of temperament--but then we run into whether the cat owner will pay for it (or if she'll demand a refund of what she paid me to take care of them).

My mom told me that the injection did not have to be in the neck; if I see his butt sticking out to just jab it. He's clearly never going to let me actually hold him still.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Well, if someone came at me with a needle every time they walked in the door I'd probably hate them too...

Is there any kind of veterinary rehab place near you? There's one that's part of the emergency vet that Pablo went to (in a separate building, though) and they board animals with medical issues as well (he stayed there one night when we had to go to a wedding because we didn't have anyone to take him and because of his history of seizures he qualified to be boarded there). The price isn't unreasonable, either. There was a $75 fee for the one-time exam they require, and then it's about $45 a night.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

The attack cat wears a collar and so it's not really possible to just scruff the cat and do it quickly in the back of the neck (which is how we first did it with McGriff...now I can give him a shot while he has his head down eating and he won't even look up from his food).

The MSPCA animal hospital in the next town probably has a rehab place; the issue would be, if we decide that this is the only way the cat would get his insulin, would the owner actually pay for it? Obviously it would be justified if he continues to hide or tries to bite me again...I've been bitten before and have no desire to have it happen a second time.

The local vet--who we also go to--has had problems with this cat before. Up until tonight he never gave me any real trouble at all.

Comment

Maybe try wearing some thick-ish gloves next time?
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I was thinking of finding some heavy work gloves to use for stuff like this (what would be ideal are the falconry gloves our vet uses to deal with biters, but I suspect those are way out of my price range).

Comment

You can get little cloth cat-size muzzles. Doesn't help with the clawing - you have to roll Kitty up in a towel to take care of that - but it stops the chomping and actually seems to calm the cat down a bit as the cat muzzles I've seen actually cover their eyes too.

(Molasses-kitty has Issues about having her claws clipped, that's how I know this...)

Also, NEVER underestimate the power of bribery and/or strategically deployed catnip.

Comment

Give the cat food, and get him used to you petting him while he eats. Then as part of the petting, gently pick up a bit of scruff and jab him. That's how we did our diabetic cat.

Another option: throw a towel or blanket over him, and quickly grab hold of the cat-lump-in-blanket, expose a bit of cat and jab him.

Another option: welder's gloves. Not as expensive as I expect falconry gloves to be, but just as effective. Available from the protective-clothing part of your local hardware store.

My best suggestion is bribing him with food, possibly assisted by welding gloves. (And welding apron, if necessary.)
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Oddly, he was fine this morning (I was able to swoop in from above and jab him while he was eating). I suspect that he wasn't "properly trained" so will automatically run if he sees anyone with a needle...all I should have to remember for now is don't let him see me coming. Not sure yet if he likes being petted while eating...last time I tried that he hissed at me.

If I was actually staying in the same apartment as the cats it would probably be easier as he'd be used to me being around.

Comment

When I worked in a vet clinic (about 10 years ago) insulin had to be given SQ. IM would not work properly. A thick towel and/or an extra pair of hands would be my suggestion.
                  Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

I don't think it's so much as hating you as hating the needle. Probably keeping it out of sight as you calm the cat down and then using the needle might work better.
                    I AM the evil bastard!
                    A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

I'd say wrapping him up in a towel would be the best idea. While I'd suggest scruffing, since he wears a collar, using a towel would be the better solution. Neither of our two cats like having their claws clipped, so we usually have to wrap them up in a towel to do so.
                      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I have been palming the needle, and that works. Partly because of the collar, I'm not able to do a sub-q injection with him (not enough skin to tent).

Comment

Working...
                        X