X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, boo :(

*sigh*

Finally got around to filing my taxes. Was excited because I'm 25, which means EIC. Yeah. Long painful story short, I actually OWE state taxes in both states I lived in. After that and the filing fees and the direct deposit fee I'm going to end up with a whopping $60 back from federal. So frickin' frustrating!! I was hoping to go to the optometrist with my return, but that probably won't even cover the visit.

Pooh.
    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

When I was a student, I ALWAYS got screwed. This year was the only decent Fed return I got! I get credit for interest paid on my student loan.

But yeah, the state ended up holding some of my refund for back taxes, (WTF, I've paid them every cent I owed them), so I got a whopping $40 or something from them. Enough to buy a cheap dinner with a crappy tip.
    "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
      Long painful story short, I actually OWE state taxes in both states I lived in. After that and the filing fees and the direct deposit fee I'm going to end up with a whopping $60 back from federal.
      Who/what the are you using that charges filing fees and direct deposit fees???

Turbo Tax is, or any of the online programs ought to be, cheaper!
      Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.

Comment

Damn. That just sucks. Since I bought my house...I always get a nice refund. Still have to pay state taxes though. Oh, and if you use Taxcut, you get *free* E-filing and direct deposit
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Latest version of TruboTax gives 5 free e-filings.

And I swear the only reason we're getting money back this year is because we're married filing jointly. I ended up owing last year.
          I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Don't feel bad every year I lived in CA and worked I owed the state or broke even. Up here in WA we don't have state income tax so I get relief that way but federal I have always gotten a little money back. $250 at the most..

Its not just you.

Comment

My wife and I got 80 bucks total. After federal and state. My mistake though. I was unemployed....
              Last edited by Nurian; 03-17-2009, 12:49 AM. Reason: God, I hope they don't tax a tax return...
              I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

If I wasnt a full-time student for last year, I wouldnt have got barely back jack sh!t. I dont know why though. I have 2 kids, am married, and own my own home.

Comment

My dad uses Turbo Tax so the fed return was free to file. To do the state online would have cost $20, which was half of my expected return, so I just mailed it in. I got my fed refund last week (just cashed it today...gonna tuck it away until I am ready to buy a new computer).
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I use OnLine Tax (or somesuch) - olt.com. It's the one my sister (the accountant) recommended. It charges $7 per file - and I had federal and two states.
                    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I just run down to my local IRS office, they do Fed and State free and even found my 401(k) deduction for me.
                      Meeeeoooow.....
                      Still missing you, Plaid

Comment

Working...
                      X