This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Hero or Rock Band?

I just got to play Guitar Hero for the first time and am hooked!

I want to buy the complete set (guitar, drums, mic) but I'm not sure which one to get, "Guitar Hero World Tour" or "Rock Band". I want to be able to play with my 5-year old and need advice on which one would be easier for him to get used to. He would love to be able to play video games with me.

Any advice?
    If you don't like my attitude, talk to the manager!!! Oh, wait, that would be me!!

Yes, I'm the manager. I'm also known as "the brick wall".

Guitar Hero World Tour has a beginner's mode, where all you have to do on the guitar is strum whenever the bar comes down. You don't even have to use the fret buttons in this mode. The drums are the same way.

Besides, it was worth getting World Tour just to play "Spiderwebs." I can't wait to also play "Beat It" & "Hot for Teacher"
    Last edited by dendawg; 03-16-2009, 03:09 PM.

Comment

If you mean Rock Band 2, not the original, if the price is similar, I'd consider buying that one, as the drum set is supposed to be a bit sturdier. However, the instruments are interchangeable, so you can buy the set for one, then later you can buy just the game disc for the other. They're both pretty decent for set lists, and apart from the drum set, the instruments are of similar quality (The GH guitar for World Tour has a few features specific for World Tour, though, so you might want to get world tour first just to have the guitar that works best with it).

Personally, though, I own World Tour (just the Guitar and disc, not the bundle) and I love it.
      Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

What system would this be for. 360 PS3, or WII. I've heard that the instruments on Rockband 1 are not as good as 2, but the bass drum peddle is a POS and tends to break. I haven't heard anything about GHWT. I have GH3 and love it (even though I tend to suck at it), my son loves to try it but he has a hell of a hard time on it (just turned 7 a short time back). But we don't bring it out to much.
        My Karma ran over your dogma.

Comment

Quoth digilight View Post
          What system would this be for. 360 PS3, or WII. I've heard that the instruments on Rockband 1 are not as good as 2, but the bass drum peddle is a POS and tends to break. I haven't heard anything about GHWT. I have GH3 and love it (even though I tend to suck at it), my son loves to try it but he has a hell of a hard time on it (just turned 7 a short time back). But we don't bring it out to much.
          I have both a Wii and a PS3, but I'm leaning more towards the PS3 version.
          If you don't like my attitude, talk to the manager!!! Oh, wait, that would be me!!

Yes, I'm the manager. I'm also known as "the brick wall".

Comment

Quoth Camry178 View Post
            I'm leaning more towards the PS3 version.
            Probably a good idea. With the Wii version (of GH, anyways) you need to insert the Wiimote in to the instrument shell for it to work, so if you don't play GH all the time, you're constantly removing and replacing the Wiimotes.

Comment

I, personally, am going to wait until Bagpipe Hero comes out.
              Unseen but seeing
              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
              3rd shift needs love, too
              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
                Flamethrower, stat!

Bagpipes were invented because Manx cats lost their tails.
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
                  I myself am waiting for Kazoo Idol.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
                    I'd only buy it if it had this on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwrvHnYpwkk
                    I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
                      Well, they're coming out with DJ Hero, so it's not completely insane

Comment

I am personally a fan of Rock Band as it is owned and created by the original production company that released Guitar Hero and Guitar Hero II (Harmonix).

I think Guitar Hero 3 bites. It was taken over by another company and they focused more on selling boobs than rocking out. The animation sucks on the characters and the learning curve is awful. It jumps from playable to impossible and the boss battles are frankly irritating.

AAAANNNNYway.

The peripherals on RockBand were vastly improved after the initial release, so if you're worried about the bass pedal on the drum kit- don't be. I got my set about a year after the initial release and I can attest to the fact that it is sturdy. Also- the stuff has a warranty, so as long as it isn't obviously abused EA will replace it at no charge to you.

If you've got the cash, you're probably better off going for RockBand 2 at this point. They've added a lot to it and I'm sure that as more people buy it, they may phase out the upgrades and downloadables for the original.

Also- Rockband has a beginner setting (I don't know what they call it, but that's 'cause I play it on expert). Basically, you put it in that mode and you CAN'T fail out.

Rock Band all the way! Guitar Hero 3 and up are just a sell out/copy cat series. Harmonix never should have sold that franchise.

Just my
                        I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

I think there's a general WiiMusic game where you can play instruments like bagpipes and kazoos. Not to mention cowbell.
                          "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                          Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Do we really need more cowbell? yeah that sucked.

I digs me the Guitar Hero and Rockband. I do not the drums. I have no rhythm(sigh) but I will not let that get me down. I want Guitar Hero World Tour. But I must wait until after the move so as not to have so much junk to haul southward.
                            "Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your software."

Comment

Quoth DesignFox View Post
                              Rock Band all the way! Guitar Hero 3 and up are just a sell out/copy cat series. Harmonix never should have sold that franchise.

Just my
                              Technically, Harmonix didn't sell it, they abandoned it to Activision, and thus technically *they* are the copy cats. World Tour also has a beginner mode, as already noted. And while the learning curve on GH3 is a little whacked out, it's pretty good on World Tour. Basically, you can't compare 3 to World Tour or Rock Band.

So stop it.

Comment

Working...
                              X