This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You be the judge!!

And tell me how ugly my new dinnerware is!!

Backstory: We're at Kmart today, and I see a 4 person place setting of dishes severly discounted at $16.00. This brings me back to when Linens and things was going out of business and I saw a very similar set at 60% off, but my husband objected on the basis that they were horrid looking. So, anyway..I see them today and my eyes light up!. He looks over and says "Oh, hell no..put them back.". I start cracking up and begin the "why the house needs this" argument.

After rendering him speechless, I put them in the cart and say "Well, I hear no objections, so there they go." He then playfully screams "BUT IVE OBJECTED 7 TIMES!!111!!!!", which causes everyone in the near vicinity to look over and laugh since they see the husband fighthing a losing battle.

Anywho, I bought them (haha...victory!!) and theyre home now. I just want to know who else thinks theyre horrid? Ive attached the pic at the bottom. I promise no feelings will be hurt, I know everyone doesn not have the same tastes.

Im also tempted to cook and serve dinner in them soon , since he promised me he wouldnt eat off of them ...
    OMFG!! Theyre horrid!! *throwup*
    30.00%
    Meh..theyre ok. I really dont care.
    35.00%
    Aww! Theyre cute!!
    35.00%
    Last edited by Amina516; 12-10-2013, 04:51 PM.

I probably wouldn't get them myself but I think they're kinda cute.

You should make his most favorite dish in the world and then see if he refuses to eat off 'em.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

They're a bit garish for my taste, but I wouldn't raise a fuss about buying them for that price.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I'll confess, I was going to post something like "I'M BLIND!!" until I clicked on the thumbnail and saw them close-up

Comment

I kind of dig them, but then I am a huge fan of loud colors and whimsical patterns.

My own dishes are Pfaltzgraff's Pistoulet so I might not be the best person to ask.

Comment

Quoth RecoveringKinkoid View Post

My own dishes are Pfaltzgraff's Pistoulet so I might not be the best person to ask.
            I like those! Mine are boring white that I got like 8 years ago when I moved to Pennsylvaina (cuz they were cheap). One of these days I'll get something more fun.

Comment

The ones I have now, are COMPLETELY white so I did want a change. And over the years Ive lost some plates (I have no idea how, though I think I spotted one at my moms house. lol.)

These look like what they serve on at the Olive Garden. LOL.

Which gave me the idea to make lasagne later this week and serve it on them!! And I havent made lasagne literally in years. muahaha....I'll win yet.

BTW, did I spell lasagne right?

Comment

There's no option for 'delightfully kitschy.' They're like something I'd expect to find in an 'authentic' Mexican restaurant.
                The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Quoth Amina516 View Post
                  BTW, did I spell lasagne right?
                  Lasagna.
                  Meh. Plates are plates.
                  Last edited by Spiffy McMoron; 03-17-2009, 03:43 AM. Reason: Quote trimming
                  I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

I have black dishes. Yuck. I want brightly colored dishes! I should go to my K-Mart in the next few days and see what they have. Thanks!

Comment

Quoth Nurian View Post
                      Lasagna.
                      LOL..Thanks.

Quoth idrinkarum View Post
                      I have black dishes. Yuck. I want brightly colored dishes! I should go to my K-Mart in the next few days and see what they have. Thanks!
                      They had another set with a pear and apple or something on them. But check em out.

Comment

I don't think those plates are horrid. A bit busy for my taste, but I've certainly seen worse!
                        I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

Well, for those of you who want more colorful dishes, I recommend Pfaltzgraff, not only because they have a large selection of colorful patterns, but also because I understand their glazes have very little to no lead in them.

I've been real happy with mine.

The cool thing about colorful, kitschy dishes is that you can mix up other pattens with them with very nice results.

Like, for instance, if the OP wanted to tone down her really bright dishes to suit the husband with tamer tastes, she could always add plain red, blue, or straw colored dishes in among her fancy ones. That way, the pattern is part of a color-theme, instead of BEING the theme.

I like things that go together but don't match per se. Which is why I have the dishes I have, that pattern is a mishmash of different colors and designs. They look good together, but don't match.

Those of you with plain white or black dishes could just dress up your pattern with adding, say, colorful accent pieces. Add brightly colored napkins and glasses, or charger plates or something. Cheap way to inject a little new into the old.
                          Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 03-17-2009, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Well, RK, to do that I would have to have room in my kitchen cabinets to put them

Comment

One day, when I have beaucoup kitchen cabinet space (unlike now, with my groceries out on plastic stacking shelves :P ), I'm going to go to TJ Maxx every few weeks for several months, just buying the stuff on clearance, until I have a wonderfully random collection. I love random, non-matching dinnerware. So creative and fun.
                              "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                              Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Working...
                              X