Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with possible kitty litterbox problem...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with possible kitty litterbox problem...

For about the past 2 weeks I've started to notice a strong ammonia stink coming from my cats' litterbox. My mom has commented on this as well; I keep having to reassure her that yes, I AM scooping the nasties on a regular basis. I've even dumped a whole box of baking soda in with the litter to try and cut down on the stench, but it's still pretty noticeable.

I haven't noticed this smell coming from anyplace else (the box is confined to the bathroom), so I'm pretty sure that my boys aren't doing their business anyplace else, nor have I seen either of them looking like they're having difficulty in eliminating. But the smell worries me and the LAST thing I need is vet problems. Any ideas?
    ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

How many kitties? What kind of litter? Do you use a box liner/ rinse it out occasionally? have you noticed if any have missed the box?
    What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

It could also be that the constant odor in the same location has just sunk into the surrounding area. You can try scrubbing the floor and wall near the box with some strong cleanser and see if that works. Also try soaking the box itself in water and bleach.
      "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Try scrubbing the box, then setting it outside in the sun filled with baking soda for two days. If that doesn't remove the smell, then it's time for a new box.
        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
        HR believes the first person in the door
        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
        Document everything
        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Quoth Part-Time Parrothead View Post
          How many kitties? What kind of litter? Do you use a box liner/ rinse it out occasionally? have you noticed if any have missed the box?
          1) 2

2) Generic cheap scoopable clumping stuff (it's all I can afford even though I'd prefer to get them Tidy Cats or Fresh Step)

3) No box liner and I haven't needed to rinse it out as long as I keep up with the scooping.

4) Doesn't look like either of them has missed the box when they go. They've always been good about using their box.

I should also add that I haven't changed their diet any; they eat Purina One dry chow. Also have not noticed them drinking excessively from or avoiding the water dish either.
          ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

1) dump all the litter and scrub the box and surrounding area. I suggest Nature's Miracle cleaner - it's enzyme based and will break down the nasties. Plastic litter boxes can kind of hang onto smells after a time.

2) Start dumping the litter completely every 2 weeks (scoop daily, but don't put too much fresh litter in each time)

3) There's a litter box deodorizer made by Nature's Miracle that I have been really happy with. It's a mix of baking soda, enzymes, and a mild sort of citrusy scent that the cats don't mind (doesn't end up smelling like floral poo!).

Comment

3) No box liner and I haven't needed to rinse it out as long as I keep up with the scooping.
              Whether you know it or not, you really do have to dump and rinse it at least once every couple of weeks. I actually cleaned mine with bleach water. Plastic is a porous substance, the smell will absorb into it.
              "You mean you don’t have the one piece of information you actually need? Well, stick your grubby paws in the crayon box, yank one out and colour me Fucking Shocked Fuchsia." - Gravekeeper

Comment

I use the Petco brand litter and I think it works better than any of the more expensive brands. Plus the jug is reuseable, just bring it back in and refill it at a discount. No matter what brand you use you're going to get some stinkage. Try the Nature's Miracle stuff that Buglady mentioned. I think I'm going to try it too.

Here's another question: are they males, and are they fixed? If they're male and not fixed, they could be spraying in the box. That would definitely cause stinkage.
                Last edited by sexiphatchick; 03-17-2009, 11:49 PM.

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success.

Comment

I'm weird because I don't use the scoopable litter.I just use good old special kitty litter. The only problem I had was when my kitty had severe worms(had to dewormed 5 times) long story. She would pee next to the box. But I change the box every three or four days( I only use about 2 cups of litter) and I scrub the box with whatever cleaner I have around. Just be sure not to use too much cleaner and make sure you rinse it really well. I have to make sure that I keep the box clean with no smell because of the post office under us and that I'm not allowed to have a cat(but the landlord doesn't know)

So yeah my advice is just to make sure you wash and change the litter every week or so.

Comment

We have three litter trays between two cats at home (both males, i'll let you finish the rest). Yes, we do get the stink, but mum changes the trays daily because we don't use a clumping litter. Also, even though the risk of toxoplasmosis is rare in our case (nobody is pregnant, nobody has a low immune system etc.) she doesn't want to run the risk of doing so.

Another thing to think about is maybe a covered litter box? They look a little bit like dog kennels, but work really well for keeping in odours. Just make sure that they don't consider it a place to nap
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

PITA-cat was always a little stinker (especially when Mom started feeding her Katz-n-Flocken, she'd forgotten that Piter was ALLERGIC TO LAMB), so we kept the litterbox washed every couple of days. We used all sorts of different stuff to use as kitty litter, Fresh Step, clay, carbon, sand, until it got to the point we just let her outside to do her business.

After that, when it rained she used the toilet (Yes, Mom toilet trained the cat. Partially. She refused to anything but piddle in it and I couldn't get her to flush to save my life).

But then, she thought she was a great big bulldog, too.
                      Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

I haven't noticed any strong litterbox stink in my place. I have a pair of enclosed, sifting litterboxes. Both kitties like the 'lids' because of the extra privacy. Plus, there's less chance of litter flying all over the place when they bury it. Oh, and both 'boxes are on sealed floors--the basement floor is painted, while the upstairs bathroom floor is ceramic tile. I've gone with Fresh Step, mainly because it's clumping, scented, and the kitties seem to like it
                        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Quoth sexiphatchick View Post
                          are they males, and are they fixed?
                          Yes to both questions (I'm religious about spaying/neutering).

I'm going to try giving the box a good clean-out tomorrow per the suggestions and see what that does. The stink absorbing into the plastic makes sense, because I know for a fact that Neko loves to really dig in there to bury his stuff - on more than one occasion I've heard/seen him digging and digging and digging and digging in there, and I go "geez, Neko, quit digging to China already!"

Comment

Don't forget to use vinegar.
                            Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                              Don't forget to use vinegar.
                              I was going to just use bleach, but should I go both bleach and vinegar? Or just plain vinegar? (Don't want to mix stuff I shouldn't and then get poisonous fumes!)

Comment

Working...
                              X