This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yay for Kiri!

We got back the certification - Kiri is DM (Degenerative Muelopathy) free!!

Her gene set is normal/normal which means she doesn't even carry the gene.

Normal / Normal - Does not carry
    Normal / Abnormal - Carries the gene but it is 99% inactive
    Abnormal / Abnormal - Carries the gene and it is active (but still a 3% chance it will be active)

Since the gene is recessive this means that she can even be bred to a dog who has the active gene and the puppies will only be carriers (at worse) and fine another N/N dog and she can breed it out of someone's lines in only 2 generations!!

(DM is a degenerative muscle disease that affects GSDs (and other dogs?) - our friend's dog got DM and he went from being #25 in the world for schutzhund to being put down in less than 18 months - probabaly close to 12 months).
    Quote Dalesys:
    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

That's great!

Comment

*happy dances* That's really good.
      1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
      -----
      http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

My GSD had to be put down when she was 8 because of that. Go Kiri for being clean!
        What if Humans are just Dire Halflings?

Comment

Quoth Part-Time Parrothead View Post
          My GSD had to be put down when she was 8 because of that. Go Kiri for being clean!
          When my wife's friend had to put Zion down (www.ziongsd.com) it hit everyone hard. His new owner bonded with him and she was broken -even her long time GSD (Lizzy) couldn't bring her back from the depression. Zion was one of the best GSDs we've ever known. Gorgeous, incredible temperament, incredible movement, stable, SchH3, etc..

She even had the "collection" destroyed - that killed my wife because she wanted to breed to him and now she's taking a second hit because we know that those puppies would have been passive carriers, not active carriers.

It was sad to watch him degrade at the pace he did.
          Quote Dalesys:
          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Working...
          X