This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean up on the trail!!!! *ranty*

So I just back from a hike...I know this trail is very popular on weekends, so I expect crowds (which is actually useful, as I was hiking alone, I tried to keep at least two groups in earshot my entire hike, in case something happened)

Well, I get to the Tower, its mad crowded....and there is trash piled up in one cornor.....the rule of hiking (and yes, there was even a sign) pack out what you pack in.
    If I was carrying a trash bag on me, I would have cleaned up. Disgusting.

Though, one thing I do like about this area is that there a groups that takes kids that normally don't play outdoors much out in the "wilderness," I'm hoping these groups were the cause of the mess.
    "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
    "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

That's a pet bug-bear of mine. People who trash up a natural environment. It's not McDonalds, no table-wiper is going to come by and clean up after you.

Comment

Is it getting to the point where hikers have to haul a trash bag and a 'someone left this junk here, please help haul it out?' sign with them?

(I'm presuming a 'pile' of junk is too much for one person to haul out reasonably.)
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

It was maybe a half a trash bag amount....and I think this trail is well maintained, so the trash will be gone by next weekend. I know there are organizations that do walk the trails and clean (actually I should look into joining those) A hiker could easily carry it out...if she/he wants to cut his/her hike short.....nothing you could carry while hiking. Not a bad idea about the bag though...at least stuff would blow around...hm....

Just a pet peeve.. the some else will clean after me....ha, I dont even leave apple core or orange peels, I try to lug everything away
        "Getting to the top is optional. Getting down is mandatory." _Ed Viesturs
        "Love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking, and don't settle" Steve Jobs

Comment

It never fails to utterly baffle me. Presumably, if a person has hiked somewhere, I have to assume it's because they have an appreciation for the place. Why would they be there otherwise? And yet, this place that they like and appreciate, they trash it up and turn it into a dump.

Seriously, I REALLY do not get it.

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
            That's a pet bug-bear of mine. People who trash up a natural environment.
            I agree! Litterbugs suck. Bad enough to throw garbage all over the city, worse when it's a beautiful forest and there's food wrappers, cigarette butts and dirty diapers strewn amongst the wildflowers.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I was just bikking though a small park near me and I saw the ame thing - the sad part is that these trash piles were usually within 10 feet of a trash barrel.

Litterbugs suck!!
              Quote Dalesys:
              ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Working...
              X