This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Shards View Post
    Darn you, EQ, you brought up my one weakness.

Every time I see a dog die in a movie I walk out. Every time. Did it in signs, did it in I am Legend, every time. I take the fastest possible path back to my puppy at home, and I play with him and pet/scratch him for an hour or two.
    You're lucky in that aspect. You have a furry one to shower with affection. Mine died some time ago and I've not gotten something to replace that missing spot in my heart.

Wow, how overly dramatic was that statement. Meh. I just really like dogs. They're awesome.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
      You're lucky in that aspect. You have a furry one to shower with affection. Mine died some time ago and I've not gotten something to replace that missing spot in my heart.

Wow, how overly dramatic was that statement. Meh. I just really like dogs. They're awesome.
      Agreed. If it makes you feel better, you can play with Davis (my puppy) anytime you want! Admittedly it'd be tough to do from a different zip code, but...
      "Darling, you are a bitch. I'm joining the Navy." -Cinema Guy 4/30/2009

Comment

Hey EQ - The Notebook was on the Oxygen channel twice (in a row - I hate that, I just watched it, put something else on) last night. I've never read a Nicholas Sparks book, but I've seen a few of the movies. Never cried, though.

The first story I remember crying at was when I read Where the Red Fern Grows in 6th grade. I was finishing it during reading time in class and trying desperately not to cry. I reread the last chapter when I got home just so I could wallow.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
          My college roommate cried at Cool Runnings.
          Hey, now. I still tear up sometimes at the ending.

And I still, and forever will, cry at the ending of GWTW when I'm reading it.

Damn it.
          Unseen but seeing
          oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
          There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
          3rd shift needs love, too
          RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
            I can't, however, watch Shakespeare in Love. Mainly because I strongly believe that an illiterate actor and second-rate business man is not the greatest writer of the English language. Yeah, it's a good story. But how exactly did a man who never left English soil know so much about Italian novellas and Danish politics...hmmmm???
            If you can find it, I recommend the book Alias Shakespeare by Joseph Sobran. He doesn't buy the Shakespeare story either. And actually, there is a LOT of interesting research on the authorship debate. You should check out the Mendenhall study on word lengths between Shakespeare and Christopher Marlow, too. Really interesting stuff there.

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
            Hi, My name is EQ and I'm a movieholic. I cry at Mr Hollands Opus, too. I also cry at any movie that was originally a novel by Nicholas Sparks. I mean, COME ON! The Notebook?! Can you blame me?!? God help me, I cried when "Sam" (the dog) was killed in I am Legend and we'll not get NEAR Old Yeller or Where the Red Furn Grows.
            I REFUSE to EVER watch WTRFG again. I cry every time. The latest movie to make me tear up was The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe at the beginning when the mom is sending her kids away.

But I think my sister takes the cake. She cried during and episode of farkin POKEMON when Pickachu was going to leave.
            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

...casper the friendly ghost...
              i cry every time i see it
              yes i cry when i saw pearl harbor, but i did hate the inaccuracys, i cry easy

at one point in my youth the conspiracy(my mom spelled that not me) theorist in me was born. i believed that Shakespeare was really just a man who knew how to market and got his works for other people. because macbeth doesnt feel like it was written by the same man who wrote romeo and juliet or a midsummer nights dream.

i grew out of that but im still suspicious.
              Last edited by Sliceanddice; 03-29-2009, 06:28 PM.

Comment

I've been called "heartless" just because some movies didn't make me all weepy and emotional. I never was emotional or a big cry-er. At least not until I got pregnant with kid the first. I was sitting at home browsing the channels and stopped to watch the story of the killer whale in Free Willy. I burst into tears and I had no idea why. I changed the channel. I still don't get weepy unless it is something harsh that happens to children. I hate seeing that.
                "Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with your software."

Comment

gah... why did y'all have to mention Where the Red Fern Grows... I was trying to forget that heart break.

Oh, and I am shameless... I did actually cry when *spoiler alert... highlight to see* Laura Roslyn died while Adama was showing her where they were going to live *end spoiler* in the BSG Finale... I also cried in Firefly during Wash's funeral... actually series do that to me more than movies because series will get to the point where I no longer am watching for the stories but for the characters.
                  If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                    gah... why did y'all have to mention Where the Red Fern Grows... I was trying to forget that heart break.
                    I also cried in Firefly during Wash's funeral... actually series do that to me more than movies because series will get to the point where I no longer am watching for the stories but for the characters.
                    I cried during that, too...Wash.... And during Mr. Holland's Opus...and during Return of the King...and the episode Falling Asleep in the Light from Babylon 5. And all the way through the end of Fruits Basket...And the season 3 finale of Doctor Who...Yeah, I'm such a sap!!
                    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                      If you can find it, I recommend the book Alias Shakespeare by Joseph Sobran. He doesn't buy the Shakespeare story either. And actually, there is a LOT of interesting research on the authorship debate. You should check out the Mendenhall study on word lengths between Shakespeare and Christopher Marlow, too. Really interesting stuff there.
                      I hadn't heard of those two, I'll put 'em on the reading list. I have "Shakespeare" By Another Name by Mark Anderson - which sets up the case for Edward DeVere, Earl of Oxford. I find the Marlowe/Shakespeare debate interesting, especially with Marlowe's more than suspicious death. I'm not convinced it was DeVere or Marlowe or Jonson or anyone else in particular. With some of the tonal changes, it could be more than one person. I AM convinced it was not William Shaxper of Stratford-upon-Avon. There is far too much evidence against him for anyone to say it was.

Smiley, I do NOT cry at movies, plays, or anything like that. However, when Director Jenny Shepard (Lauren Holly) died during NCIS's season finale last year, I BAWLED. I still miss her character - it's rare to see a woman in a position of power who can balance kick-ass and classy. I was mostly upset because I don't think they did justice to her with that finale.
                      Last edited by AdminAssistant; 03-29-2009, 07:43 PM.
                      "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                      Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Have I mentioned ya'll are evil? I now have to go back and watch these movies again, KNOWING I am going to cry.... Damn you EQ for bringing up Where the Red Fern Grows!

ETA: I know this makes me sound weird.. But I cry watching Beauty & The Beast EVERY TIME

Comment

I always cry in movies. When my daughter was in elementary school, I took her to see the Lion King. When Mustafa was killed, I started crying. Very quietly. Then my daughter says, really loud "Mom are you crying already?" And everybody in the movie theater started laughing at me.
                          "I guess they see another cash cow just waiting to be dry humped." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

A couple songs from my childhood still make me cry in nostalgia of the time when I didn't have one tenth as much to worry about as now.
                            I rediscovered one of them while trying to learn guitar chords other than powerchords, and going through my mom's songbooks (she's a good acoustic rhythm guitar player, I'm generally more of an electric, lead player).

I saw the title and started playing, sorta singing along as much as I could. I could barely see the chords on the paper through the tear-induced blur by the time I got to the end of the song. And I think I'll try and go back to these memories right now, since I feel some sort of happiness in nostalgic crying.
                            Long days, short nights, a bottle of NOS makes it all right.

Canadians Unite !

Comment

where the red fern grows book made me CRY omg. So does The Last Herald-Mage series in multiple places throughout the trilogy. I cry really easily, generally.. Mr Holland's Opus and Lorenzo's Oil make me cry like a baby.. oh and I cried watching the end bits of Trigun, like [spoiler] after Wolfwood dies and you see Vash has his big cross gun [/spoiler]
                              I get it from my mom though.. whenever she watches these movies at all we all go "someone get the tissues!"
                              "If looks could really kill, my occupation would be staring" Brand New - I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
                                .But I think my sister takes the cake. She cried during and episode of farkin POKEMON when Pickachu was going to leave.
                                GUILTY!! I don't normally cry at any movies or shows, but that made me cry.

I have cried during:
                                Aforementioned Pokemon episode
                                Return of the King, starting at the part where Pippin sings until the end of the movie
                                Hotel Rwanda
                                The Notebook
                                Atonement

I think that's all.
                                "Kill the fat guy first?! That's racist!" - my friend Ironside at a Belegarth practice after being "killed" first.

I belly dance with tall Goblins!

Comment

Working...
                                X