X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Dry skin SUCKs!!!

Hey All,

Does anyone have any suggestions for shower gel/cream/soap products that are TRULY moisturizing?

A couple of suggestions I've gotten are the Eucerin shower oil and Neutrogena rainbath (I think it's called).

Has anyone had similar dry skin issues and tried any of the above products, or any good products?

Any/all suggestions are welcomed!
    "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

I like Dove (bar form) in the winter when my skin gets really dry. Last winter I saw they had a special "winter" formula or something like that (I didn't try it, though). I think it was a seasonal sort of thing, though. The "cream oil" bars were pretty good, though. I also like Aveeno extra dry skin (body wash and lotion - I use them in the winter a lot; they're good for the itchies)

*edit: that was a lot of "thoughs"s, though...
    Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 04-18-2009, 05:34 PM.
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Dove (bars), Aveeno work wonders. If you can find it, get some Burt's Bees bath stuff. I only have the spa kit with the lotions, creams and such my MIL gave me for my b-day and Burts Bee's is awesome! As for lotions, I would recommend Gold Bond Ultimate. It works great and it absorbs really quick in your skin and doesn't feel greasy at all.
      I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
      Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
      Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

If you have a Whole Foods by you, in the body care section mine has this Almond Oil. I get the Rose scent and mix it about 1:2 in my hand with their unscented body lotion. The lotion cuts the oil so it absorbs faster.

Works really well and smells good but not overwhelming. At least when I remember to do it!

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
          "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Rub down with cocoa butter. The greasier, the better. In fact, down here you can get straight sticks of pure cocoa butter in the ethnic beauty care section.

Rub in on your skin at night. Smells like cookies baking, does WONDERS for your skin.

I used it while I was pregnant and I don't have a single stretch mark. I also use it as a night cream and at nearly 46 years old, I really don't have anything worse than some light laugh lines around my eyes.

Palmer's makes a line of cocoa butter lotions that I love and have been using for years. They make a lotion (not greasy) and also a tub of good creamy cocoa butter (which is good for very dry skin.)

Straight cocoa butter will fade scars over time, too.

Comment

It's ridiculously dry here and my skin pretty well tries to crack and fall off every winter. So what I have learned is:

1. Take shorter, cooler showers. Hot water will strip your skin pretty badly.

2.Use soap on armpits and crotch only - a very small amount of very mild shower gel on the rest of you is more than enough - you may not even need that unless you're pretty sweaty/grimy! I have heard good things about Dr Bronner's soap (it's a castile soap that you can use for *everything*) but haven't been able to find a small bottle to try.

3. Use lotion immediately after you dry off (ideally while you still have some water ON you,
              actually). I like Avon's Oatmeal lotion; Alpha Keri is excellent, and so is Curel. I am extremely sensitive to alpha-hydroxy acids so I have to steer clear of most other brands of lotion.

Some that have not been mentioned yet:

4. DRINK more water... your skin will thank you for moisturizing it from inside!

5. Take a supplement with Omega-3 and Omega-6 essential fatty acids. Fish oil, evening primrose oil, borage oil, flaxseed, hempseed, Salva seed - any of those are good for your skin, eyes, and heart. Or eat more foods with these in them.

6. Take a B-complex supplement. B vitamin deficiencies can lead to dry skin and you'll probably notice you have more energy too. (Take these in the morning, not at night, or you'll have trouble sleeping).

Comment

Here's a link to an online source for Dr. Bronners, and while I have not ordered from this site, I am here to tell you that these are indeed very good prices.

I've bought this soap from local retailers by the gallon, and it's around 50 bucks per gallon. Lasts forever. They're selling the 10 dollar bottles for 6-7 bucks. The gallons are going for 33. I'm off to order some for myself.

Can't vouch for how good it is for dry skin, but I can vouch for it being really good soap.

Comment

I like to use baby oil, right after a shower, while I'm still soaked, I slather on baby oil, then pat myself dry. Doesn't help some really dry spots (knuckles and elbows, cannot keep them moisturized) but I don't need lotion for anything else.
                  The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I use St. Ives Oatmeal and Shea Butter, then once a week rub down with baby oil or another nice spelling moisturizer. I don't need the rub down, I just like having REALLY soft skin.

Comment

Elbows, cracked fingers, and horrible feet: Flexitol.

It's a urea based skin cream for diabetics. It will heal the absolute worst skin problems in a few short days.

I have the worst feet in the world. Seriously, I have sherpa feet. I have, no lie, used an electric reciprocating sander on the soles of my feet when the callus got so thick it started cracking. My entire life I only wear shoes when I have to. (which is ironic, considering the number of shoes I own.) As a result, I don't really need to wear shoes, if you follow me.

My feet will erode a pumice stone before the stone will erode my feet. I also have problems with cracked fingers, due to thick guitar callus on my fingertips.

I rub my fingers down with a little Flexitol before bed, and it REALLY saves my fingers. Also, I can scrape my feet with a razor (special tool for that purpose, I'm not talking about any old razor) and then rub some Flexitol on them and I can actually manage to wear sandals without looking like a hooved beast after a couple days of that treatment.

Elbows? No problem.
                      Last edited by RecoveringKinkoid; 04-19-2009, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Thanks, all of you, for the great suggestions!

I can't wait to try 'em!

Comment

My legs have been itching like crazy for weeks after my shower. I started using an Olay moisturizing body wash, along with Olay In-Shower Lotion. Then I slather on Aveeno's overnight moisturizing formula.

I also really increased my water intake.

I've been itch free since.

Comment

Look for a soap that doesn't have Sodium Laurel/Laureth Sulfate (or derivatives), Parrafin Wax, or Grapeseed Oil. They're all drying agents. I personally use Pre de Provence soap, specifically the milk one.

I do three different moisturizers after my shower, plus one more at night. Morning is Aveeno, Neutrogena, and a moisturizing bar that has a touch of natural perfume from the oatmeal and honey. The nighttime one is Nivea. It's a heavier lotion, so I don't go around feeling terribly greasy all day.

Also be sure to use sunscreen. UV rays are drying to the skin over the long term.

Comment

Hey Strawbabies, I've had that happen to me. It's usually due to shaving. If you can avoid shaving for a couple days, it helps.

Sometimes I think the hair folicules can get a little irritated, at least that is how it seems to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X