This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Buglady View Post
    The trouble is that a LOT of the sustained power one needs on the bike comes from the core, and one also needs strength through the back and arms to keep a good posture on the bike and avoid repetitive stress injuries, neck cricks, wrist problems, etc. (Also, nobody wants to end up looking like a chicken with gigantic drumsticks and teeny little wimpy wings )
    Yeah, I definitely feel it when I go bike riding, and right there in the core, no joke. (OT, ZOMGS!! SUNLIGHT!!! I may be able to ride my bike after work!!!! YAY!! It's been grey and ugly and cloudy and rainy for so long!!)

And btw, THAT'S An image that had me nearly drawing my tea through my nose!!

I really like pilates, and I really need to get into yoga. Especially to overcome these little insecurities of mine. And I need all the help i can get getting more balance and flexibility. I'm such a klutz, it's not even funny. Good thing I wear long pants on my bike. Balance is not a skill of mine, and i'm relearning it while riding, thankfully no huge injuries yet...

Comment

Biking will help with the balance, I promise - jeez, you should have seen me the first few weeks! I wobbled all over the place. (You can, by the way, forget how to ride a bicycle. Or at least I could). Any rhythmic motion that involves both sides of the body will strengthen the communication between the two hemispheres of your brain; that will translate to better balance as your brain gets better at integrating sensory and muscle information on both sides. Plus, you'll get smarter! (Seriously, people's ability to consolidate new information and recall previously learned information goes WAY up after mild exercise such as walking, cycling, running or dancing. Weight lifting, not so much )

OK, speaking of which, I have to get going now or i'll be late for my Girl Guide meeting

Comment

Oh, and you think the chicken image is an exaggeration... I just measured my right thigh at 22.5", hips at widest point 40", waist 27"... so far so good... bust 33", bicep 10", wrist 6" (I'm 5'8" tall, btw)

I am the Chicken Lady!!! Aaaaaaa!!

Comment

I like the core work that comes from both exercises. I get more for my core, especially the abs, from Yoga and Pilates then I ever have been able to get from doing any amount of crunches.

Also, the first time I did Pilates...my hamstrings hurt that day...but the next day my lower back hurt. Not in a bad way though...in that way that I knew I worked muscles I hadn't before.
          "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

I'm doing Pilates twice a week as part of my current rotation. I love how nice and stretched out it makes me feel.
            I question my sanity every day. Sometimes it answers.

Comment

Quoth Severen13 View Post
              . I love how nice and stretched out it makes me feel.
              Boy, my mind is in the gutter today! My coworkers have already called me a freak. I think its lack of sleep.

I know what you're saying...but I got the wrong impression the first time.
              "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

I'd love to do Yoga, pilates or Tai chi but all the classes near by are held in the evenings the days I work (I also happen to work evenings). However I did just order a couple of books from Amazon about Yoga so I can at least get a feel for it.
                Last edited by Lady Legira; 04-21-2009, 09:31 PM.
                As soon as I start thinking
                That I'm sensible and sane
                The Random Hedgehog comes along
                And fiddles with my Brain
                (from card I got)

Comment

Tonight is my Yoga class...I'm so excited!

Comment

Quoth friendofjimmyk View Post
                    Boy, my mind is in the gutter today! My coworkers have already called me a freak. I think its lack of sleep.

I know what you're saying...but I got the wrong impression the first time.

Um...you're welcome?
                    I question my sanity every day. Sometimes it answers.

Comment

Yo-GA! Yo-GA! Yo-GA! Yo-GA!

"FOOD FIGHT!!!"

Oh, wait...that's Animal House. Sorry.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Severen13 View Post
                        Um...you're welcome?
                        I don't know. I was in a weird mood the other day.

The other night, during yoga...she added these balls to the workout. They are smaller than basketballs (thank god) but larger than softballs. You place them between your thighs and do the normal yoga poses. Oh. My. God. I worked the muscles in my legs and core much harder...so much so that I almost got sick! Really. I had heard about that before...but more for bodybuilders...I didn't think that would apply to yoga!
                        Last edited by friendofjimmyk; 04-23-2009, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X