Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two domestic question, one serious, one not.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two domestic question, one serious, one not.

Serious: What is the best way to clean a dirty baseball cap? Handwashing? Or can it go in the washing machine and dryer?

Not Serious: Why is it that when a dryer is done with its cycle, it gives off that loud buzz to alert you to this, but when a washing machine finishes, it doesn't bother to tell you? If anything, this is backwards....isn't it a bit more important to know when the washer is done so you can load the wet clothes into the dryer, and (if necessary) get the next load going?

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Serious: You can put a baseball cap in the washer, but it's best not to put it in the dryer. Same as bras, it can lose its shape if you put it in the dryer and needs to be air dried.

Not Serious: Who knows, but I agree, it would make sense if the washer would let you know when it's done to avoid mildew.

Comment

Answers

For the serious question - howtowashacap.html

For the not serious question - you must have different machines, I have personally owned 2 washing machine and dryers and used countless and all of my washing machines had buzzers for end of cycle just like the dryers
      I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Can't you put those things in the dishwasher? Did I see that somewhere?

Not serious: Right there with you, man.

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
          For the not serious question - you must have different machines, I have personally owned 2 washing machine and dryers and used countless and all of my washing machines had buzzers for end of cycle just like the dryers
          Damn it! Why have I never seen/heard these machines? It's a conspiracy, I tell you!

Still A Customer."

Comment

You need Ball Cap Buddy

http://www.ehow.com/how_2205399_clean-baseball-cap.html

My Dad uses this in the dishwasher to wash his caps. They're cheap - only $4.99 from WalMart
            The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              Serious: What is the best way to clean a dirty baseball cap? Handwashing? Or can it go in the washing machine and dryer?

Not Serious: Why is it that when a dryer is done with its cycle, it gives off that loud buzz to alert you to this, but when a washing machine finishes, it doesn't bother to tell you? If anything, this is backwards....isn't it a bit more important to know when the washer is done so you can load the wet clothes into the dryer, and (if necessary) get the next load going?
              Serious: There are little cages that can go around baseball capes to help them keep their shape so they can be thrown into a washer. Barring having one of those cages the best way is to either hand wash or throw in a empty dishwasher.

Not serious: My machine beeps at me and tells me to Have A Clean Day. The dryer beeps too...but it only gives me a smiley face.

Comment

My machines are of the miniature and older variety, meaning no electronic messages or smiley faces. The dryer just goes "BZZZZZZZZTTT!!!!" when it is done.

Still A Customer."

Comment

I have a stacked w/d - the washer makes no noise, and the dryer makes the most annoying buzzing sound known to man. GAHHH!!!!!
                  "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                  Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Since the serious question has been answered adequately, I'll answer the not serious one. Since it's... ya know.. easy.

Not Serious: The washer buzzes at you when it's done with your cycle for two reasons; 1) you put liquid fabric softener into the rinse cycle and 2) if you want to double wash an item (like, say, your whites) you can use bleach the first cycle and regular detergent the next. This way the smell of bleach isn't overpowering the smell of clean clothes. It's a waste of water to have to wash teh same load of clothes after it's gone through the rinse cycle.
                    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
                      I have a stacked w/d - the washer makes no noise, and the dryer makes the most annoying buzzing sound known to man. GAHHH!!!!!
                      Sounds like exactly what I have.

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
                      Not Serious: The washer buzzes at you when it's done with your cycle
                      Um, actually, my washer doesn't buzz at me for any reason. That was what I was wondering about...why the washer is shy, quiet, and keeps to itself, and why the dryer is so damn proud of what it's done it has to tell the whole world!

Still A Customer."

Comment

Jester, have you had your washer its whole life? If not, it's very possible that the timer is defective, and while it goes through to the point where the washer stops spinning and drains, it doesn't go all the way to the 'buzz'. If you HAVE had it its whole life, it's possible that the manufacturer decided it was your job to check on your clothes in time.. By the way, a dryer timer buzzes so incredibly loud usually because the timer mechanism is closer to the surface of the unit, so the sound isn't muffled.
                        "If looks could really kill, my occupation would be staring" Brand New - I Will Play My Game Beneath The Spin Light

Comment

I'm sorry Jester, I misread the post. I thought you were asking why the washer buzzed. Not the dryer.

The Washer only runs for about 20 minutes. The dryer runs for an hour or more. Well, the washers and dryers I have used anyways. Since you need the dryer a bit more urgently then the washer (it takes longer) the dryer will buzz to let you know the machine is off. Naturally, since the washer will be off long before the dryer.
                          Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I've never had a washer that buzzed. Only the dryer. My parents do have a moisture sensor near the washer, though. I'm sure that's pretty loud. After the Great Washer Flood of 2002(?) they decided it was necessary. (It had to be disconnected because they were hooking the house up to the new sewer system, and my dad checked it when they reconnected it and it seemed fine, so my mom did some laundry. The first couple loads were fine; then she put in a third, and got caught up in some other stuff...two hours later she went down to put it in the dryer, and stepped off the last step into two inches of water. The stairs are a good 15 feet at least from the washing machine. Apparently the hose had come loose, and as the washer was filling, the water was just pouring right out, and since it never actually filled up, the water never shut off. I was never so happy to be working the closing shift in my life.)
                            I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                            I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                            It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                              why the washer is shy, quiet, and keeps to itself, and why the dryer is so damn proud of what it's done it has to tell the whole world!

I can honestly answer that one!!!!!

if you let clothing sit in a washer for a while(less than a day) nothing bad will happen, however leave a dress shirt in a dryer for 30 minutes after the cycle is done, you're gonna need an iron. That's why.
                              Honestly.... the image of that in my head made me go "AWESOME!"..... and then I remembered I am terribly strange.-Red dazes

Comment

Working...
                              X