This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's at Fault Here?

The other week me and the husband were watching a sitcom about trendy young people living in New York. The men of the group were giggling over a joke they'd heard at work. They said it was the funniest joke ever, but when one of their wives asked to hear it, her husband said women wouldn't think it was funny. She insisted they tell her, that it was all right, and one of their friends finally told her over the husband's protests.

The woman was predictably horrified and stomped off in a huff, not to return until the end of the episode.

So, who was at fault here: the woman for insisting they tell her a joke that her husband obviously knew she would hate, or the friend for giving in and telling her?

I think it was the woman's fault. You can't insist someone tell you something after they warn you how offensive it is, and then get mad when you're offended.

Incidentally, they didn't say the punchline of the joke on the show because it's dirty, but I looked it up online and I thought it was funny in a really juvenile way. And I'm a woman.
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

I would say the woman. If the friend held his ground, she would have kept insisting until she got angry.
    I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

What was the joke?
      "For the love of all that is holy and 4 things that aren’t but feel pretty good anyway" ~ Gravekeeper

Comment

Yeah, you can't not tell us the joke!

And I agree, it's her fault. If you insist on hearing it, you have no right to go stomping off in an offended huff.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

*MOD NOTE - This joke is being allowed simply to explain the OP, but we ask that no more jokes be posted in this thread, as we do have a jokes forum. Thanks.

What's the difference between peanut butter and jam? (highlight for the punchline)

I can't peanut butter my cock in your ass.
          Last edited by Ree; 05-04-2009, 12:52 AM.
          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

S*P did one similar, but it was to get back at a guy telling racist jokes and thinking there's nothing wrong with it. Randy tweaked it to make certain it would offend ANYONE.
            I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

I find that rather tasteless, but hey, if I insisted someone tell me, I wouldn't stomp off in a huff.

I didn't see the episode, but I'm wondering if the wife was more pissed off about the joke itself, or the fact that her husband thought it was funny. I'd shoot my boyfriend the stink eye if he thought that was the funniest joke in the world, too. (I wouldn't hate him for it, but he'd definitely get the stink eye).

But then, knowing my tastes, he wouldn't tell me the joke, and I wouldn't insist upon it.
              I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

My boyfriend told a really tasteless joke about women once. So I got him back with a joke that my girlfriends and I made up for when we get mad at men. It really shushed him up.
                You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                  <snip>So I got him back with a joke that my girlfriends and I made up for when we get mad at men. It really shushed him up.
                  So, what's the joke? Maybe we women can use it against tasteless men everywhere.
                  I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

I'd say it was the woman's fault. It's stupid to nag someone to tell you something than get huffy when you get what you asked for.

Comment

I must be juvinile. I thought it was funny.

(Remember, I'll be turning 12 for the 12th time this fall! )
                      Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

I'd say it's the woman's fault.

And that joke sounds *exactly* like what guys I know would say.
                        Unseen but seeing
                        oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                        There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                        3rd shift needs love, too
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                        X