This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need to show off

So, I've taking a payroll class... we have to make a payroll register... now most people are doing theirs by hand.... I decided to program excel to do it for me... one formula in particular I take pride in... the one for federal income tax withholding

=IF(B5="single",IF(J5<=102,0,IF(J5<=329,J5*0.1,IF( J5<=1140,22.7+J5*0.15,IF(J5<=2493,144.35+J5*0.27,I F(J5<=5498,552.27+J5*0.3,IF(J5<=11875,1411.16+J5*0 .35,3643.11+J5*0.386))))

elegant in it's simplicity... I'm taking pride in not only writing it, but getting it to actually work
    If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Excellent work. I always like the phrase "Work now so you won't have to work later"
    I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Quoth Nurian View Post
      E "Work now so you won't have to work later"
      especially since it will take an assignment that would normally take over an hour and run through it in 5 minutes, thanks to copy and paste

Comment

Woo! Good job Smiley Now, just make one fore me so I can estimate my paychecks

Comment

It kind of looks like a situation where a VLOOKUP might suit you better. You're nesting IFs only look for "is this figure in this range" and change the range each time. Mind you, the actual what to do does change each time, so maybe not ...

So this only calculates the figure for singles? What if they're not single? What happens then?

Comment

In my experience, I've never gotten VLOOKUP to work properly. I prefer the IF command.

Comment

if you are looking for a payroll template you could try microsoft's office templates online.

I usually go there to get templates for datababses and what not. They even have one to firgure out stocks.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/te...CL100632981033

Just make sure you have a legimate copy of office otherwise it will not let you get the templates.
              "Beam me up Scotty there is no intelligent life down here."

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
                So this only calculates the figure for singles? What if they're not single? What happens then?
                no, it also figures for married... the second half of nested if functions is for if the condition "single" is false.

and vlookup is the devil... I have never gotten it to work as well as nesting if functions

Comment

"(in a bad Cajun accent) Momma? How do I use VLOOKUP?"

"(Kathy Bates) You don't use VLOOKUP! Momma will look up things for ya! VLOOKUP IS OF THE DEVIL!"

Sorry about that

Comment

Quoth Nurian View Post
                    "(in a bad Cajun accent) Momma? How do I use VLOOKUP?"

"(Kathy Bates) You don't use VLOOKUP! Momma will look up things for ya! VLOOKUP IS OF THE DEVIL!"

Sorry about that
                    LMAO! Unfortunately that would be me....I'm such a math moron.
                    I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
                    Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
                    Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

Odd. I've never had any trouble with vlookup. Maybe you guys need to check out MS's 'how-to' for it.

Comment

Quoth One-Fang View Post
                        Odd. I've never had any trouble with vlookup. Maybe you guys need to check out MS's 'how-to' for it.
                        i've even taken an excel programming class... an entire week was spend trying to teach us how to do vlookup... I could never get it to work... neither could about half the class.

I am irritated though that I did miss something rather obvious... I forgot to program in exemptions (I've updated it for future use... all you have to do is add -(130*cell) where 'cell' is the location of the number of exemptions ok, not quite that easy... to late for this assignment though.
                        Last edited by smileyeagle1021; 04-29-2009, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X