X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm putting my dog down

tomorrow at 11:00 AM.

**edit: He was put down April 29th at 11:43 AM**

He has gone downhill and he's not a happy dog. Last night, I came to the conclusion that he couldn't go on like this and neither could I. He sort of gave me a sign when he came over and put his head on my leg with a heavy sigh. There's many things wrong with him, too much to list. Before I'd fight for him because he always had that will to live and now he doesn't.

So, it was a very hard decision. I took him in today and talked with my vet and she agrees with me and all of that.

I know there are lots of people here that have been through this and it comforts me a little to know I'm not alone.

My dog's name is Corduroy. He is about thirteen years old. I've had him since I was eleven. I'm twenty three now, so it's hard for me since I've had him nearly half my life and now he'll be gone.

Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by Rine; 04-30-2009, 01:53 PM.

I know it's sad, but I applaud your courage. You've shown you truly care for him.
    I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

I'm so so sorry. I agree, you have shown that you care for him. Enjoy the remaining moments with your baby.

*runs off to sniffle*
      Well fiddle dee dee!!

Comment

Corduroy? Like the bear? I love that book.

I'm sorry...I've been there recently myself...it's not easy but it's harder to watch them suffer.
        I don't go in for ancient wisdom
        I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
        It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I am so sorry. Such a hard decision to make, but you know it is the right one so I hope that helps you get through this.

Comment

It's not easy, but at least you'll know in your heart that your dog will be at peace and no longer will be suffering. Sorry to hear that.
            I don't get paid enough to kiss your a**! -Groezig 5/31/08
            Another day...another million braincells lost...-Sarlon 6/16/08
            Chivalry is not dead. It's just direly underappreciated. -Samaliel 9/15/09

Comment

*many hugs*
              I'm bringing disdain back...with a vengeance.

Oh, and your tool box called...you got out again.

Comment

I know what that's like. Losing a pet is never easy!

Comment

Been there and done this more times than I care to remember. It's never an easy thing to do, even if you know it's right for them. Best wishes for the both of you.
                  ~~ Every politician that opens their mouth on birth control only proves that we need more of it. ~~

Comment

If the dog is unhappy and having a difficult time with life in general (discomfort, pain etc..) then it is a good idea to put him down - at least you're not being selfish and making him live though years of it (pain and discomfort) just for your own happiness.

13 isn't a bad age for a dog and I'm willing to bet he had a great life with you and your family.

I am sorry for your loss, it is a tough decision.
                    Quote Dalesys:
                    ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Thank you everyone for your words. It's very hard to describe what I'm feeling and I don't even know why I'm on the internet right now...I guess I'm just looking for comfort because there isn't anyone around the house right now. I took him on a short last walk because he can't do the full block anymore then I made him a nice breakfast of eggs and ham with toast. He loved every bite.

It's just so weird. I feel so strange at the moment. In one hour, I'm going to be putting him in the car for the last time. I wish this didn't have to happen.

Comment

13 years is a long, healthy, happy life for a dog.

You're doing the right thing.

Many hugs and thoughts coming your way!
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

When we put Mango down I was praying that she would have a seizure that last day, I thought it would have made the process easier. She didn't have a seizure but we still had to put her down, her epilepsy was beyond control and 5 years old for a malinois is just getting into their prime.

Rine- even though it is a very hard decision to come to and even harder to carry it though, you are doing the right thing. He is 13 years old - he had a good and long life with his pack / family. I can tell you treated him as well as you could and you loved him (and I'm sure he loved you).

You're taking him out of a lot of pain and discomfort (which will only get worse as time goes on). Now, he only had to worry about waiting for you to cross the rainbow bridge as well as doing what he loves doing (chasing things, playing with other dogs, with toys, sleeping..).
                          Quote Dalesys:
                          ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

Thank you everyone! It's been an hour and a half since it happened and there were many, many tears.

But, I feel extremely relieved and very content right now. I mean, I'm sad, but it feels okay. I'm actually surprised at how relieved I feel.

It was so damn difficult, but I feel okay now.

Later on, I'm going to post a picture of my dog once I get it uploaded. He was such a great dog and I'm going to miss him, but I'm glad he's okay now.

Comment

*HUGS*.
                              And thank you for doing the right thing. Cord will always be with you.
                              "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Working...
                              X