This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• <Sigh> So not a good omen for the day

So, my morning started out crappily. Firstly, I had to be to work a full 2, almost 3 hours early. We're starting our buyback season at Textbook Hell, and as such, the suck AND stupid is going to be strong. I had to get up at ass thirty in the morning. Decided to make myself a healthy, high protein breakfast. Which included bacon.

Now, I haven't eaten bacon in a LONG time. Mostly because it's processed with sodium nitrates and nitrites, and I don't react well to those. The other day I was at Whole Foods, to stock up on a tea flavor I was out of, and talking to the guy at the meat counter. He informed me that all their products were nitrite and nitrate free, and the bacon was especially good. (I'd tried that route before, finding something similar at the grocery store and was vaguely disappointed.) So I thought I'd give it a try.

Fast forward to this morning. Now, I was told that the best bet is to broil it, because that would eliminate a lot of the fat, and still get it nice and crispy.

Except, me being me, I managed to set my oven on fire. Well, technically, the broiler pan and bacon caught fire, but I so did not expect to see FLAMES coming out of my oven when I opened the door. Cue the fire extinguisher. And lots of smoke and ick, that I shudder at the thought of cleaning when I get home.

Added to that, I almost missed my bus this morning, and only through tearing towards the bus stop at a dead run, did I manage to flag the driver down as she was pulling away. OF course, me and running don't mix, so now my knees ache, and I'm going to on them for the next, oh...9 hours or so...? (8, since I get a lunch break in there...)

Cherry on the sundae? Buybacks. Urk. And I'm the ONLY one in the store right now!! Literally. Bossman is in the back, working on cash office and reports, since it's start of the month. Sweet farkin' fruit loops, I'm about to be invaded. I count 4 cars that just pulled into the parking lot. And someone just pulled out a plastic TUB of books!!

<Whimper> Think of me, think of me fondly...I'm gonna diiiiiieeeeeeeeeee!!

You poor thing.
    Here's some cookies...and tea...and ice cream...with that cherry on top...
    I don't go in for ancient wisdom
    I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
    It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Aww poor Lupo! Here have some tea! Try not to kill the customers ok! The blood will just ruin the buyback value.

Comment

It happens to the best of us. Try not to be too hard on yourself.
        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

We've set things on fire with the broiler before. We were used to the broiler in our old apartment, which took some eight minutes to actually brown the ramen for a variant on "Chinese chicken salad," and so we set the broiler in this apartment for the same amount of time. Found out the hard way that three minutes is sufficient.

Did you know that ramen burns blue?
          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Do you have a microwave?

I know it sounds strange but the best and only way to cook bacon is to put it on a place sandwhiched between paper towlels (2 on the bottom 1 on the top). Do it a minute at a time.

It is as crispy as if you deep fried them I swear on my honour!
            I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
              Do you have a microwave?

I know it sounds strange but the best and only way to cook bacon is to put it on a place sandwhiched between paper towlels (2 on the bottom 1 on the top). Do it a minute at a time.

My parents always do it that way (they used to put a paper grocery bag underneath; it really soaked up the grease). I like it best like that...it's crispy and not all greasy like when you do it in a regular frying pan.
              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

See, my mom told me to microwave it, too, but there's apparently a special pan that lets you microwave it, and catch all the grease drippings.

Right. NOW she tells me. Of course, she thought I'd never eat bacon, so yeah...

Well, maintenance came in while I was gone and replaced my fire extinguisher, and went over my stove an oven, just to make sure it was the bacon, and not a problem with my actual range. Apparently some bacon grease popped onto the heating element, so it's still all in working order. my poor pan is destroyed, though...it was calphalon, too..

Comment

Quoth Kiwi View Post
                  Do you have a microwave?

My family does it that way too. We use to fry it in the pan but then we started the microwave thing and love it! Bacon!!

Comment

See, this is what happens when you don't eat a specific food for so long. (Think I last had bacon about 4 years ago. it was turkey bacon. I thought I could have THAT cuz it didn't have nitrites or nitrates...boy, was a silly...)

Everyone knows the microwave trick except me, apparently!! <sulks>

Comment

yeah you do not need a special tray, the three paper towels wisk away just as much fat
                      I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

I'll have to try it that way next time. As soon as I get up the nerve to cook bacon again. I can just see myself setting the microwave on fire, too!! LOL

Although...maybe I'll do a breakfast for dinner deal tonight. I don't much feel like cooking a huge meal. eggs and bacon sound tasty enough.

Comment

Don't feel bad, lupo. I didn't know the microwave trick either. My family has always fried it in a pan and then set it on layered paper towels on a plate to soak off some of the fat before eating. I think once I baked/broiled it instead of frying it, but I've never realized you could microwave it.
                          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
                          X