This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rocky Horror Fans - I Need YOU!

'Kay, so I'm writing a paper for my Dramatic Theory class. The topic: The audience as performer. Times when the line between audience and actor becomes so blurred that the audience BECOMES a performer...something like that. (It makes perfect sense in my mind.) :P My case study: The Rocky Horror Show. I'm really going to try to laser in on the stage musical. Now, I'm going to have to bring in the film, because most of the secondary sources revolve around the film and film showings.

I know there are some Rocky Horror die-hards on this board - stories, sources, a kick in the right direction? I'm going to talk to my professor if I can use anecdotes from the board - this is a theory paper, not a research paper, so I think it'll fly. The only thing I ask is that you specify what kind of show you saw/participated in; was it: a) a live performance of The Rocky Horror Show (the stage muscial), b) a showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show with NO live performers, or c) a showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show with a live 'speak along/sing along' cast.

Thanks guys!!
    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

I've done option C a few times.

Rumor has it that there's an occasional...thing...similar to RHPS for The Sound of Music, but I'm too lazy to look for confirmation.
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Mine was A) - twice. Super awesome happy times too!
      The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth Becks View Post
        Rumor has it that there's an occasional...thing...similar to RHPS for The Sound of Music, but I'm too lazy to look for confirmation.
        Mom dragged me to one of those once. It was....interesting. I think I'd enjoy RHPS more.
        The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

I've done C once in Huntington, WV. They have a MySpace page for the group. I'll see if I can't find it.

But it was a rather interesting night. I'd never seen RHPS all at once and had never been to a performance like that---it was a bit overwhelming at first sitting in the middle of all these shouting fans trying to figure out what they were saying and what was supposed to happen next. But I think the costumes were the most interesting part.
          My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

The Tower theatre in Salt Lake does option C every year. It's really cool... I'll see if I can find a page for them when I'm not at work....

Stupid internet blocks...
            Carpe Jugulum : Go for the throat.

Comment

Apparently they have a full website now: http://www.rhpswv.org/rhpswv/news.php

Hope it helps a little.
              My NaNo page

My author blog

Comment

I have done option C for 31 years now. not a real die hard gotta go every weekend/showing but often enough and no I do not dress up at this time. the Milwaukee group Sensual Daydreams is where I call "home" now. (their website is www.sensualdaydreams.com they just got featured on the local new station they have the video on their site)

have not seen the stage play. I have NEVER viewed the film without a shadow cast or audience particiation (too boring).

in fact I am going this weekend for the May Father-Daughter birthday thing (our b-days are in May and 10 days apart. several years ago she turned 18 at the show) . years ago we (my ex and I) introduced our daughter to RHPS and she loved it with all of the stuff included

the Sound of Music thing is a franchise called Sing-A-Longa and yes they do the dress up and perform the shadow cast thing but without the particiation "callbacks". (a very bad ripoff of RHPS in my view) their website is www.singalonga.net . they take the film and close caption it. then they encourage the audience to dress up as the characters and sing along with the film (most of the time a musical). the website is mostly UK but I have heard of groups here in the US doing it. they DO have a RHPS version but........ they do sort of encourage the callback type of and they do seem to do the props things ie. toast water guns etc.
                Last edited by Racket_Man; 05-06-2009, 03:16 PM.
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Several mid-night showins back in New Jersey. With friends. We didn't dress up but about half the crowd did. We DID bring the toast, toilet paper and water guns though. :-)
                  "All I've ever learned from love was how to shoot somebody who out-drew ya"

Comment

Quoth AdminAssistant View Post
                    I know there are some Rocky Horror die-hards on this board - stories, sources, a kick in the right direction? I'm going to talk to my professor if I can use anecdotes from the board - this is a theory paper, not a research paper, so I think it'll fly. The only thing I ask is that you specify what kind of show you saw/participated in; was it: a) a live performance of The Rocky Horror Show (the stage muscial), b) a showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show with NO live performers, or c) a showing of The Rocky Horror Picture Show with a live 'speak along/sing along' cast.

Thanks guys!!
                    While I did actually see Rocky Horror Show live once, I have about 235 viewings of the movie under my belt, and of that number I was Janet all the way through in about 25, floorshow Janet about 20 times, and Magenta about 25 times, I dont think I have ever seen the picture show without a volunteer cast.

I stopped doing RHPS in 1985, I ended up with a fiancee who was a real stick in the mud.
                    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

At my college every year they used to do Rocky Horror. They would play the film on a giant screen in the theater, and the Revelers Club would all dress up in drag and kinda act along.
                      It was known for audience involvement. People would stand up and shout the "underlog" as we called it
                      ie: "Was it a picnic?!" "WHORE!" "ELBOW SEX!"
                      there was also much participation in the dancing.

Also, a local movie place up here does rocky horror once a month during summer. its a $1 admission and everyone dresses in drag and participates. They bring glow sticks, bread, squirt guns, news paper etc. It is a BLAST. Getting hit in the head with a roll of toilet paper is one of my favorite parts hehe. (and of course there is always the gaggle of people who will run up to the screen and dance when the dancing comes about!)
                      "I'm not smiling because I'm happy. I'm smiling because every time I blink your head explodes!"
                      -Red

Comment

Working...
                      X