This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So my French sucks...

Well apparaently, I rely on a translator for ALL of my French work.
    Bearing in mind that I translated my French questions as best as I could. I used the question words at the beginning of the sentence...but no, apparaently my work is entirely straight from BabelFish.

So now I got to rewrite my entire thing FROM the beginning!

(She did however, show me a paragraph that had been translated straight from French via a translator.)

At least it's not due until next week. -_-
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Ugh, that sucks. I just turned in my translation; it was still really rough in places. Oh well. C'est la vie, n'est pas?
    "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
    Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Mmmm...this wasa role play. My role was questions. Simple right? Uhhhh no.

Comment

Peut-etre que je peux vous aider. Je suis Canadienne, presque bilingue.

(One of the hardest parts about any language is learning the different syntactical rules - how the words need to relate to one another in a sentence in order to make sense. English is subject-dominant; French places more emphasis on the verb, quite often.)

Comment

OK, so question...question words such as pourquoi, beginning or end of the sentence?

Comment

Usually beginning for "pourquoi", but others can vary I think. (I'd have to see the actual question you want to translate). Oh, I think I know what may be tripping you up. The verb often comes before the subject in questions.

Comment

Merci. The questions are mostly "Why" questions, with a "Do you have" and a "what" question thrown in. I don't want to rely on outside help entirely...

Comment

Okay, you're going English to French, right?

There's two main ways to do questions: using est-ce que and inversion. I'd give examples, but I think somebody who speaks better than I can should!
                "Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
                Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

I always found phrasing my english for maximum britsh empire formality then translating it into french worked best for class work. For general speaking with people, colloquialisms rule=)
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                  X