This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some help

I have just been diagnosed with acid reflux. This means no dairy, no onions, garlic, spicy foods, peppers fo any kind, tomatoes, tea, coffee, chocolate, citrus...
    I hope you get the idea.
    My problem? I'm Texan. My cooking always involves at least garlic. My list of foods that I can have now seems paltry and I really don't know how to cook anything mild enough to not set off my stomach.
    So what I'm askin for is recipes, or even recipe sites that will work for my medically enforced diet.

.....I'm..I'm so sorry...I can't think of any recipes off the top of my head, I'll get back to you on that.
    The High Priest is an Illusion!

Comment

Here are a few good recipes. There's another one here, too.
      I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Thank you Nurian. This means a lot.

Comment

De nada. Just hang in there. Talk to your doctor and monitor your ARD. Nothing's saying you can't have spicy foods occasionally. Maybe some OTC stuff will help? Omeprazole or its brand name (which escapes me at the moment), would those ease things?
          I have a...thing. Wanna see it?

Comment

Quoth Nurian View Post
            ? Omeprazole or its brand name (which escapes me at the moment), would those ease things?
            Brand name is Prilosec. YMMV but I suffer from the same issue and as a result I take 3 of these pills daily. The upside is that I can eat the items prohibited on your list in moderation with no ill effects. But you have to remember that I live in Indiana, spicy for me is most likely mild for you down there in Texas

Comment

My Mom was just diagonsed with this and a few other things. She has the same problem as you

She found this book and said it was very helpful

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Tel...1630193/?itm=3

Good Luck
              Coffee should be strong, black and chewy! It should strip paint and frighten small children.

My blog Darkwynd's Musings

Comment

Quoth Nurian View Post
                De nada. Just hang in there. Talk to your doctor and monitor your ARD. Nothing's saying you can't have spicy foods occasionally. Maybe some OTC stuff will help? Omeprazole or its brand name (which escapes me at the moment), would those ease things?
                My dad had issues with GERD for the last 15 years of his lfe - his doctor gave him what ended up as OTC Prilosec back when it was prescription only.

He was told that he could eat pretty much anything he liked early in the day, the damage occurs when you are prone, sleeping. Just about 6 hours before bedtime you stop with the spicy stuff. He was also told to make breakfast or lunch his big meal of the day and do very light foods like soup and sandwich/soup and salad for dinner. One of his favorite soups was chicken noodle with the little stars
                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

WebMD has a nice search feature for special diets.
                  I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                  -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

I was diagnosed with Acid Reflux when I was 16.

Did you get put on any meds to control the acid? If not ask about them, because if you have it bad enough (like me) anything can and will give you heartburn.

If you are on meds you don't have to cut EVERYTHING out of your diet like the docs tell you to.

Limit chocolate and caffinated/carbonated drinks. Limit how many times/how much spice you eat.

Do it in moderation, don't give it up completely.

Comment

Yes I have been put on medication for it. Its a relief I don't have to completely give those things up, but moderation is still going to be difficult. Like I said my cooking is usually either spicy or has lots of garlic.

Comment

Working...
                      X