This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clothing advice needed

A friend of mine is holding her 19th party at a bar and then possibly moving to a nightclub afterwards. The weather here is about 18-20C during the day, and around 5-10C at night.

So basically, what I'm wanting to ask is...what do I wear?!

I own 2 dresses, about to add a third to my collection. Both of them cover the shoulders completely, with smallish sleeves. One resembles a tunic more than anything else, while the other is empire-style (i.e. it hides my tummy, but emphasizes my boobs). The tunic-style dress I tend to wear with a ribbon around my waist to break up the dress a bit.
    I have some very nice kimono-style tops and I usually wear either pants and flats, or tights and flats...I don't have the legs for a mini, so any ideas?!

The third dress I'm adding is a winter one and has 3/4 length sleeves and is very much kimono-style.
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Do you have to wear a dress?

A nice pair of jeans and a really cute top are always in style for a night out.
    You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
      Do you have to wear a dress?

A nice pair of jeans and a really cute top are always in style for a night out.
      also more comfortable...
      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

I second the jeans or pants idea. I don't know about where you are, but when I was in college, a cardinal rule was to never wear a skirt or dress to a nightclub unless you wanted to be felt up....all the way up.

I get that you're kind of curvy based on your dress description. A nice pair of dark boot-leg or flare jeans with a cute top - one of your kimono-style perhaps? - would work great. If you have them and your pants are long enough with them, maybe a small heel that shows a little toe? Granted, it's been summer here for 3 months, so I've been in shorts since then and haven't looked back.

Remember though - busy top = more simple hair and makeup, and simple top = you can do a little more....noticeable hair and makeup.

Experiment....play around. Pair tops and jeans you never would have before. I love playing dress up with my clothes and playing with makeup (my hair's stupid so it either goes up or down...not much to play with there).

Good luck, and have fun!
        Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:6

Comment

Big fan of the tunic/kimono style with tights & flats or a great pair of boots for a bit more character.
          My golden rule for deciding what to wear for a big night out - is it comfortable?? Dress, then sit down, breathe out, are you still happy? Also, (not likely but I've done it to many times to ignore) could i possibly climb a tree in this, or play in the park at 3am on my way home? Yes? Problem solved.
          And the only really sensible piece of advise, a lightweight scarf that can get scrunched up in/tied around the strap of you handbag is a cool evening essential.
          Last edited by Kinoo; 06-02-2009, 04:10 AM. Reason: spelling
          Common sense is not that common.

Comment

Quoth thegiraffe View Post
            I second the jeans or pants idea. I don't know about where you are, but when I was in college, a cardinal rule was to never wear a skirt or dress to a nightclub unless you wanted to be felt up....all the way up.
            This. I've only been to an actual club once, and you pretty much get dry humped the entire night. I'm not saying I'm anything special to look at, but you have to elbow guys in the face before they leave you alone.

I personally love wearing dresses, and think they're much more comfortable than pants, but I don't usually wear dresses out on the town. I agree with giraffe's suggestion.

Comment

WEll this is a cross bar/nightclub thing. The last bar/club thing I went to was closer to home for a coworker's farewell. I wore a dress for that one and didn't get dry-humped, but I get the feeling that this may not be the case. I don't usually wear heels as I'm already tall, so any self-defence measures come from smart-ass remarks or a well-placed elbow or knee.

I'm gonna hunt for jeans next week, along with a really nice either wrap or kimono-style top. There are some good ones out there.
              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
              X